Celtics Great Sam Jones had died

Roberto71

Reaction score
I put this in the Dan Reeves thread, but he surely deserves a thread of his own.

He was 88. All 12 years of his career were with the Celtics and he won 10 titles with them. And a familiar nickname for Boston great sportsmen, he was known as "Mr Clutch"

RIP.

211231145709-sam-jones-celtics-1965-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

"Sam Jones was one of the most talented, versatile, and clutch shooters for the most successful and dominant teams in NBA history," a Friday statement from the Celtics stated. "His scoring ability was so prolific, and his form so pure, that he earned the simple nickname, 'The Shooter.' He was also known as 'Mr. Clutch.'
"... Only Bill Russell won more championships in his NBA career. The Jones family is in our thoughts as we mourn his loss and fondly remember the life and career of one of the greatest champions in American sports."
Jones was named as one of the NBA's 75 greatest players earlier this year.

Fantastic clutch player and shooter - had a tremendous bank shot. A Celtic through and through and a wonderful person.

RIP Sam - you, and all the other Celtics of that time period, well you meant an awful lot to me back in my formative teen years.

Only one NBA player won more championships than Sam Jones. His name? Bill Russell-with 13 season wins. Sam Jones accrued 10 NBA championships. He was a fantastic player-a Boston Celtic great player. RIP, champion.

So sorry to hear this!

Like his fellow Celtics of that time and place, he was special. RIP, Sam. Heaven's gonna have one helluva basketball team! :celtics::angel: :celtics:

RIP, Sam. What a sweet shot you had for the greatest team over time in the hx of the league.
In my very earliest years as a fan, it was the celtics, even before the Sox, that was because tickets were always available and always priced for my dad. What Sam had, among all his other things, was the deadliest bank shot the world has ever known (imo). We never had season tickets, but went to so many home games, Probably 20 or so per year from the mid fifties thru 1962-63. Took the B & M all the time. I mentioned before I was blessed to go to Bob Cousy day on Saint Paddy's day, 1963. But I digress. Sam was a marvelous player and great man. Requiescat in Pace

I went to his basketball camp between my sophomore and junior years in HS. During one down time he was shooting about 25 footers. The kid returning the ball to him picked up the wrong ball and Sam could tell by the feel that it was different and told the kid not to switch balls. This was the summer after Havlicheck got married, probably 1967. He, Sam and Don Nelson were some of the trainers.

I played for Belmont in the Middlesex league. John Killilea coached Melrose and Rollie Massamino coached Lexington.

I went to his basketball camp between my sophomore and junior years in HS. During one down time he was shooting about 25 footers. The kid returning the ball to him picked up the wrong ball and Sam could tell by the feel that it was different and told the kid not to switch balls. This was the summer after Havlicheck got married, probably 1967. He, Sam and Don Nelson were some of the trainers.

I played for Belmont in the Middlesex league. John Killilea coached Melrose and Rollie Massamino coached Lexington.
:smilies-11117:

Back