Chargers' Philip Rivers got a taste of playing for Bill Belichick

Mr NFLfan

Reaction score
I live where the men are men and the sheep are ner
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...nce-got-a-taste-of-playing-for-bill-belichick

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- It took only one Pro Bowl experience for Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers to get a taste of what it is like to play for legendary New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

It was 2011 in Hawaii, and the AFC team was getting its doors blown off in the annual all-star game. Down 42-7 at halftime, Rivers had already thrown a pair of interceptions. That's when Belichick addressed Rivers and the rest of the AFC team at halftime. It was one of his few interactions over the years with the future Hall of Fame coach.

"I do remember halftime of the Pro Bowl game, we were getting killed. I think it was me, Peyton [Manning] and [Matt] Cassel. And we were getting blown out at halftime and he kind of called us all up and said, 'Hey, we can tackle. I know it's the Pro Bowl and all that, but can we tackle somebody today. Let's go out and see if we can make it a little bit respectable in the second half.'

"And then he looked over to us quarterbacks, and we had all thrown an interception -- thank goodness I wasn't the only one -- and he said, 'It would help if you guys would stop throwing it to the other team.'

"I got a kick out of that because I was standing by Peyton Manning and Cassel and Peyton is, if not my all-time favorite, one of [them]. I was glad I wasn't the only one who had thrown it to the other team. I thought that was pretty good at halftime of the Pro Bowl."

LMAO

Back