Chucky Bowl XXXVII -- The Official Super Bowl Thread

G

You either hate them or you hate them more. Coach Gruden's former team vs. his present team. Trash talking team vs. trash talking fans. Quiet, intelligent coach vs. charismatic, arrogant coach.

Personally, I just can't decide who to root for in this one. I think that either team could win this and it should be a great game. Number one offense vs. number one defense. We all know how that story usually ends in the playoffs.

What are your thoughts on the game?

I look at TB to be have the advantage in this one considering the fact that Gruden "knows" the Raiders offensive players so well. I hope Tampa can pull it off since I can't stand the Raiders.... (I was pulling for TN but they played a sloppy game and lost.)

Didja catch the rioting on the news cuz the Raiduhs won?? Real classy.... burning cars and such. I'd like nothing more than to see them all boohooing next Sunday.

NoRespect said:
You either hate them or you hate them more. Coach Gruden's former team vs. his present team. Trash talking team vs. trash talking fans. Quiet, intelligent coach vs. charismatic, arrogant coach.

Personally, I just can't decide who to root for in this one. I think that either team could win this and it should be a great game. Number one offense vs. number one defense. We all know how that story usually ends in the playoffs.

What are your thoughts on the game?

I've gotta go with Tampa. I would hardly ever root for the NFC in the SuperBowl, but the Raiders are the spawn of Satan. Besides, I sort of like Tampa as a team, except for maybe MeShaun. I'm hoping that the Bucs will find a way to put a lot of pressure on Gannon. If they don't, then it's the Raiders as champs because when Gannon gets to sit in the pocket, he's deadly. If he gets time to throw the ball then we'll just see Oakland putting up 30+ points again and the Bucs O won't be able to keep up.

bruschifan1 said:
I look at TB to have the advantage in this one considering the fact that Gruden "knows" the Raiders offensive players so well.

That's a good point. I really hadn't given it much thought but Chucky does have a real advantage in this one. Not only has the personnel stayed the same in Oakland, HIS OC is now the head coach and the system is largely unchanged from Gruden's system last year.

The fans are nothing if not classy in Oakland but I have to admit the players and even the head coach of Oakland have a lot more class than Tampa. Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Gannon. Okay, Woodson might be chippy but he backs it up. The one thing I really don't like about Oakland as a TEAM is their chunky soup O-line. I prefer teams that put athletes on the field rather than resorting to mass. Have you seen the guts on those guys? They are nothing more than immovable objects. I wonder if we are going to see a trend towards even bigger O-lines as a result of how well it works for Oakland?

The coaching advantage here goes to Tampa courtesy of Bruschifan1.

I rate your remarks one creepy-eyeball.

I hope I can generate more enthusiasm for this game as the week goes on. Right now I can't really get serious rooting for either one. It all seems like such a tremendous letdown after last year.

I am buying up squares like they are going out of style since winning some extra cash is about the only thing that can get me fired up for this turkey. I might starting publicly pulling for the Raiders just so that I can be sure they'll lose.

I'm trying hard to leave their fans out of it, but they sour me on the whole black and silver thing. Hell, I hope it's a good game and some Oakland bozo dressed in studded shoulder pads and a skull mask gets rolled in a Tiajuana back alley.

Hey! There's a happy thought! :fire:

Hawg73 said:
I'm trying hard to leave their fans out of it, but they sour me on the whole black and silver thing.

I hear you. I actually like their team better than TB but the Oakland fans sure make up for all of Tampa's shortcomings.

Did you see where they miked some Oakland fan during Sunday's game? It was some big tall goon with his head painted in what looked like silver tiger stripes. Anyway you would figure that the network would know better than to go live from the Black Hole but they didn't. The camera zooms in with a live microphone and this guy was using the f-word and he's yelling so loud that chunks of who-knows-what are flying out. Brilliant.

How can you not love the Raiders fans? Nothing but class. :thumb:

NoRespect said:
It was some big tall goon with his head painted in what looked like silver tiger stripes. Anyway you would figure that the network would know better than to go live from the Black Hole but they didn't.

This is the guy! This is the guy I was referring to. I just stumbled on it reading an article at Fox.com. Not sure why it is important....but it's a slow news day.

My Prediction

The game will start as usual with much pomp and bruhaha and plenty of crowd
shots featuring the Raider crazies in full battle-drag and then settles
into a fierce, pitched battle between two closely matched teams. Things
will get a little dicey in the 2nd quarter when Romanowski almost takes
Keyshawn's head off on a slant and Johnson jumps up woofing. The two get up
in each others grill for a while and then suddenly Keyshawn's mouth locks
in the open postion like a Rock 'em-Sock 'em robot whose block has just
been knocked off. He will have to leave the field and a team of doctors
will work feverishly to try and shut his mouth. MeShawn is humiliated in
front of 800 million.

That will not be the only medical casualty of the game. In fact, that will
be the main theme of Super Bowl XXXVII. At halftime, Shania Twain will
faint dead away and be carted off after being threatened by Raider fans who
think she is referring to them when she sings her new semi-hit: "Don't Be
Stupid".

In the 3rd quarter John Gruden will suffer a debilitating case of
"squintitis" and America will discover that what your Mother always told
you is true and it IS possible that your face can freeze up like that. A
game Gruden toughs it out but is forced by EMT's to remove his visor as a
precaution causing him to look more Chuckie-like than ever.

Late in the game with the Raiders holding a slim lead, the Bucs score on a
long touchdown by Jurevicus over a badly toasted Charles Woodson. Sports
journalists the world over leap for joy and reach for their cliche manuals
while each composes "Hero Dad Wins It For Sick Baby" storylines in their
head.

But the Raiders aren't dead yet. With time running out 3rd and 10 and the
ball on the Bucs 15, Gannon will fade back to pass and be hit on his blind
side by Derrick Brooks. The ball will squirt loose and be fallen upon by Sapp,
but wait.....the signal for a fumble is made but the refs confer and inform
us that the play is being reviewed. Was his arm coming forward
or.....Raider Nation and the free world collectively hold their breath.
After a seeming eternity it is determined that his arm had returned to the
tuck postition -the tuck rule is invoked in their favor and Raiders
everywhere suffocate in the irony. They line up for the game winning kick and
Janikowski jerks the ball dead left and misses the chip shot field goal by a Polish
country mile. Time expires and Tampa is crowned the new champion. Oakland
wins the tuck and loses the game.

The beleagured Janikowski is set upon by hordes of unwashed Road Warrior
rejects who beat him mercilessly. A Super Bowl record for tear gas is set
as the anti-terrorist swat teams try to grapple with America's new domestic
menace. Up in his private booth Al Davis is stricken by both the events of
the game and the tear gas and passes out. Paul Tagliabue was stopping by
to gloat and notices the prone Davis and performs mouth-to-mouth on him.
Many photos are snapped of the event, Davis recovers and he and Tags become
inseperable pals.

Oh yeah, my prediction - Tampa Bay wins 28-27.

Re: My Prediction

Hawg73 said:

Oh yeah, my prediction - Tampa Bay wins 28-27.

Plenty of visuals in this post Hawg! Some good some very scary! If I ever see anybody's lips on Al Davis', I will wretch uncontrollably. I would also change your outcome, somehow, to make the Raiders lose on a horribly questionable call. I envision their fans disgracing the Superbowl tradition by wreaking havoc on Qualcomm and surrounding areas. My happy place would be to see Oakland banned from the NFL. Is that too harsh?

This is classic Hawg!

Hawg73 said:
The game will start as usual with much pomp and bruhaha and plenty of crowd shots featuring the Raider crazies in full battle-drag.....

MeShawn is humiliated in front of 800 million.

They line up for the game winning kick and Janikowski jerks the ball dead left and misses the chip shot field goal by a Polish
country mile.

:D

Nicely done. May I propose an alternative ending? Being the fan of all-things-ironic that I am I was really captivated by the idea that the Raiders could win the game on coach's challenge leading to the invoked tuck rule which enables JCow to actually kick said field goal to win the game. The unpleasantness of a Raiders' victory would be mitigated by the irony. The sweetness of the victory is tainted by the knowledge that they will never hear the end of it.

A Polish Mile: there are all kinds of jokes that could be made about that one. However, they would not be politically correct and could offend someone....

Prediction: Tampa 34 - 26: just because it's possible and it doesn't matter what I pick.

Hawg73 said:
....... Up in his private booth Al Davis is stricken by both the events of
the game and the tear gas and passes out. Paul Tagliabue was stopping by
to gloat and notices the prone Davis and performs mouth-to-mouth on him...........

NoRespect gave me an idea. DVD's commonly have alternate endings available and one popped into my head (I am running a bit of a fever tonight hence the Friday night get-a-life on here) it follows below.

..............but try as he might, Tagliabue is unable to revive Davis and he sits back exhausted and tries to wipe the smegma off his lips. Suddenly a greenish glow fills the air in the luxury box and the commisioner is stunned as a black shadow seems to depart from the prone body of the expired Davis.

The shadow rises up and it's eyes glow like red coals- a demon born in the farthest chambers of hell is released from it's human prison and prepares for its reawakening by stretching out huge batwings and fanning them at the assembled NFL brass.

The demon's eyes mock them all and then it's serpent-like maw opens wide and a hideous laugh emanates from it's foul innards just before it leaps from the box and flies to the center of the football field. By now it has attained tremendous size and the terrified patrons make a panicked scramble for the exits as Tagliabue's crew quickly vacates the scene via the secure tunnel beneath the stadium.

The demon addresses the Raider fans in a ghastly echoing voice and orders them to seek revenge for the many injustices foisted on them by the NFL and as if on cue some 30 thousand strong Raider fans come to their feet and prepare to do their masters bidding. Nobody pays much attention to the huge eerie light which is approaching from space at a rapid pace.

While the scene played out in San Diego, in a secure military facility deep in the bowels of Cheyenne mountain in Colorado Lt. Colonel Danetka stoically watches the disturbing events taking place. He presses a button on his intercom and tersely barks: "It's happening....launch eradication plan 9" He sighs and then lights a cigarette. Blowing a cloud of smoke he turns to his aide and says "We should have done this a lonnnng time ago". He turns to his infrared satellite image and sees the pinpoints of fires blooming all throughout California and the west.

Meanwhile some 6 trillion miles away in a Jhiirgon-class battle cruiser sailing through a fierce solar wind at the edge of the Crab Nebula, Admiral Jheelizar of the imperial border patrol picks up a stray transmission from the game on his holoscreen.

Due to the extreme distance from San Diego and the usual time distortion the game was only at the two-minute warning before the half. Jheelizar stares at the confusing images until he manages to make out two buxom human females arguing over the merits of a fermented malt product. He watches with increasing interest as the two wenches tear each others shirts off and they begin rolling in a mudbath while they vocalize shrill noises at each other.

He smiles and flips on his homing beacon and starts the giant starcraft on its journey to the source of the transmission. He checks his watch and then settles back in his chair and drapes his bright purple tentacles over the tentacle-rest. According to his calculations if they make good time, the ship can get there in appoximately two earth hours. "This oughtta be interesting" he thinks to himself as he lights up a nicotine delivery tube. "I should have done this a loonnnnng time ago"

Re: Re: My Prediction

Hawg73 said:
While the scene played out in San Diego, in a secure military facility deep in the bowels of Cheyenne mountain in Colorado Lt. Colonel Danetka stoically watches the disturbing events taking place. He presses a button on his intercom and tersely barks: "It's happening....launch eradication plan 9" He sighs and then lights a cigarette. Blowing a cloud of smoke he turns to his aide and says "We should have done this a lonnnng time ago". He turns to his infrared satellite image and sees the pinpoints of fires blooming all throughout California and the west.....

Meanwhile some 6 trillion miles away in a Jhiirgon-class battle cruiser sailing through a fierce solar wind at the edge of the Crab Nebula, Admiral Jheelizar of the imperial border patrol picks up a stray transmission from the game on his holoscreen.

He smiles and flips on his homing beacon and starts the giant starcraft on its journey to the source of the transmission. He checks his watch and then settles back in his chair and drapes his bright purple tentacles over the tentacle-rest. According to his calculations if they make good time, the ship can get there in appoximately two earth hours. "This oughtta be interesting" he thinks to himself as he lights up a nicotine delivery tube. "I should have done this a loonnnnng time ago"

As always Hawg, nice imagery. I think you would do well as a sci-fi writer. I had to read it several times, and I am still not entirely sure where it is heading, but I do know that I want to find out. It is so hard to find a good tentacle-rest these days. They're available as an option on the Jhiirgon-class battlecruisers but the waiting list will kill you. I guess I will just have to be happy with my Rediculon-class starship for another year....

Funny how no matter what the crisis, if it comes from outer-space -- not to be confused with inner-space, a "fine" film in its own right -- there are always people in Nevada or Colorado called upon to handle it? Even when I was living there, I NEVER saw them. But it sure was a comfort to know that somewhere underground, they were there.

Re: Re: My Prediction

Man! Keep it going.... You can't stop with that. I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter...sort of like Cathy Bates in Misery. So keep writing Hawg or the "hobbling" will begin. After all, we're your biggest fan!

:fire:

Re: Re: Re: My Prediction

pookie said:
...sort of like Cathy Bates in Misery. So keep writing Hawg or the "hobbling" will begin. After all, we're your biggest fan!
:D

Just one more knee

Super Bowl Sunday. Is anyone else experiencing Super Letdown? Last year at this time I was on cloud nine. The Pats weren't even expected to make the Super Bowl so there really was no pressure. Everyone talking about the Rams this and Rams that. A foregone conclusion.

And yet you could feel that we were clearly the sentimental favorite in the game. With September 11, all the symbolism was there. The incredibly moving U2 tribute at half-time complete with Bono revealing what I like to think was his favorite to win -- on the inner lining of his jacket. The Patriots -- underdogs by a mile -- yet somehow they seemed destined to win.

This year, is there even such a thing as a sentimental favorite. Some in the media are trouncing Sapp and Keyshawn. There is talk of how Gannon is hated by his teammates. The Oakland fans are annoying according to many reports....

What a difference a year makes. Regardless of who wins, neither of these two teams could be further removed from what the Patriots represented last year and how their victory was symbolic in so many ways. It makes New England's Super Bowl victory and the accomplishments of the team seem all that much more special.

Thanks Pats. It was a great ride.

NoRespect said:
Super Bowl Sunday. Is anyone else experiencing Super Letdown? Last year at this time I was on cloud nine.

I certainly am! Quite the mellow day here in this household..... and I've even been able to sleep for the past three weeks, unlike the playoff run last year. I ate, drank, and slept Pats football and would wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it!

Having our usual lobsters and steamers...but it's just not the same without the Jambalaya!

When we went to the SD game in September at 3-0, I was so excited sitting there, believing in my heart that I would be there today as well....

Here's to next season, and about 6 more hours of STILL being the reigning SB champs!

Karen

Part III

Hawg73 said:

The jangling ringing sound woke Detective Nick Mancuso from the middle of a cheap rotgut coma. He squinted around the cheap motel room until he could locate the phone by the light of the TV. He grunted: "Mancuso" and listened intently to the voice on the other end tell him that it had begun. He found the remote and turned up the sound and his booze-addled brain slowly cleared enough to absorb the incredible scene playing itself out at the Super Bowl.

Raider Nation had stopped playing pattycake and were revealing themselves as what he had suspected that they were for some time now. Not exactly human. Tens of thousands of crazed Raider fans were lined up in military formation on the floor of Qualcomm stadium while the demon spirit of the recently departed Al Davis was giving them their marching orders. They were making their move now and had to be stopped by any means necessary. He barked into the phone " I'll be there as soon as I can" and hung up.

It had started as a simple missing persons case. A panicked mother from an Oakland suburb called him to track down her son who had attended his first Raiders game and never came back. That led Mancuso into a descent into the seamy underbelly of Raider Nation and he had come away with the belief that they were not just a bunch of weekend football fruitcakes with funny costumes but a dangerous cult of semi-humans whose goal was none other than total world domination. His attempts to blow the whistle on them and try to head off trouble before it started were met with disbelief. In fact, outright derision from the authorities. As he would soon discover, he didn't know the half of it.

He knew what had to be done and picked up the phone and dialed directory assistance. A robotic voice answered and the energized detective said:

"I need the number for Coleman, Walt Coleman and make it snappy!"

He waited impatiently for the number and reached for the bottle of Advil that was always present on his night table. He was going to need it.

Back