Congratulations

egress

Reaction score
I was never gonna say it before the game, but the Patriots are the best team in football, and they deserved the win. The Colts were in it, right up to the final minute. But five turnovers isn't going to win anything.

Now, sadly, I must return to my own message board and begin to assess the damage. I can look forward to not only the Pats trolls, but the return of the usual Colts trolls who will demand for Peyton Manning to be released. The same trolls who were strangely absent for the previous two weeks.

So with you're blessing, I'm going to do a little ranting over here first.

I would still take our quarterback over your quarterback. In my heart of hearts, I believe there's no one better today than Peyton Manning. The mistakes he made today were correctable - he consistently underthrew the ball, where against Denver and KC he was tucking it neatly in between defenders.

I take nothing away from Brady. He defines consistency. He doesn't have the arm or the aura of Manning - it was fun watching him make those audibles earlier on. But when you have the best defense in football, it's that much easier to make your offense look better, and as long as you don't try to do too much, you're going to win. I don't think it's any fairer to compare Brady to Montana than it is to compare Manning to Marino. And yet it happens, and the viewers eat it up.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this. All along Patriots fans insist that it's the TEAM that wins, and then turn around and say Tom Brady is the MVP. There's a paradox there.

I'm not begging for respect. The Colts aren't ready for prime time yet. I'm just asking the fans and the media to make a little sense.

Now the Colts head into the offseason with a constricted budget, a confused defense, an aging dome, a less-than-educated fan base, and a quarterback and head coach whose careers and criticisms would have driven lesser men out of the sport faster than you can say Barry Sanders. But in the face of adversity, there are still fans out here who, like the Colts, never quit.

Here's to the Colts and Patriots in next year's AFC championship game...in the dome. Good luck in the super bowl guys.

egress said:
I was never gonna say it before the game, but the Patriots are the best team in football, and they deserved the win. The Colts were in it, right up to the final minute. But five turnovers isn't going to win anything.

Now, sadly, I must return to my own message board and begin to assess the damage. I can look forward to not only the Pats trolls, but the return of the usual Colts trolls who will demand for Peyton Manning to be released. The same trolls who were strangely absent for the previous two weeks.

So with you're blessing, I'm going to do a little ranting over here first.

I would still take our quarterback over your quarterback. In my heart of hearts, I believe there's no one better today than Peyton Manning. The mistakes he made today were correctable - he consistently underthrew the ball, where against Denver and KC he was tucking it neatly in between defenders.

I take nothing away from Brady. He defines consistency. He doesn't have the arm or the aura of Manning - it was fun watching him make those audibles earlier on. But when you have the best defense in football, it's that much easier to make your offense look better, and as long as you don't try to do too much, you're going to win. I don't think it's any fairer to compare Brady to Montana than it is to compare Manning to Marino. And yet it happens, and the viewers eat it up.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this. All along Patriots fans insist that it's the TEAM that wins, and then turn around and say Tom Brady is the MVP. There's a paradox there.

I'm not begging for respect. The Colts aren't ready for prime time yet. I'm just asking the fans and the media to make a little sense.

Now the Colts head into the offseason with a constricted budget, a confused defense, an aging dome, a less-than-educated fan base, and a quarterback and head coach whose careers and criticisms would have driven lesser men out of the sport faster than you can say Barry Sanders. But in the face of adversity, there are still fans out here who, like the Colts, never quit.

Here's to the Colts and Patriots in next year's AFC championship game...in the dome. Good luck in the super bowl guys.
Well, thank you, Egress--
Thanks for the congrats, man, but I still am not sure that you, nor the rest of the league, "Gets it"...
It doesn't matter if you have an MVP QB on your roster... It is what the BULK of you TEAM is made of... If you are paying Super Star money to a FEW, your organization simply does NOT have the available funds to surround that guy/those guys with a lot of quality FOOTBALL players which = the TEAM philosophy in this age of PARITY... Seriously... Trust me on this...
I don't care if Brady doesn't ever make it int the H.O.F. (although I suspect he will, due to the fact that he is so consistent and has won the BIG ONE, at such an early age...)
He may not be the MVP of this TEAM, but like it or not, the QB is the high profile position in this league and therefore, often gets the MVP accolades...
As Tom Brady once said after the Super Bowl XXXVI win, "We don't have an MVP, we have an MVT = A Most Valuable TEAM."
Out of the mouths of babes, eh?!...
Anyways--thanks for the good game and the good football dialogue, Egress... Your QB will DEFINITELY be in the H.O.F. someday, and he may even win the Big One, one day, but give ME a SOLID TEAM over a team with a Super Star or Super Stars, anyday!!!...
On to Super Bowl XXXVIII, my friends... :)

You stated your case well Egress, but believe it or not, I'll still take Brady.

In the words of Bill Parcells, you are what the record says you are, and Tom Brady's record says he is a winner.

As far as Manning goes, I don't wish to rain on anybody's parade, but he is more sizzle than steak. Brady is exactly the opposite.

Say what you want - but he melted down out there today. He just melted down.

It's a team game, but if you have to pick somebody for Patriots MVP then Brady is the guy.

Peyton can keep the one that he won for the regular season and I have no qualms about that, Brady didn't have a great first half of the season.

But he sure has had a great second half.

At least so far.

If I were to pick an MVP for the Pats it would have to be Brady. Though the team has many great players, there is such great depth that if Bruschi misses a game Chatham or Izzo comes in, if Seymour misses a game Warren or Green comes in, if Colvin misses a season Vrabel comes in. If Brady were to miss any time this team would struggle therefore he gets my vote for MVP!

bighit36 said:
If I were to pick an MVP for the Pats it would have to be Brady. Though the team has many great players, there is such great depth that if Bruschi misses a game Chatham or Izzo comes in, if Seymour misses a game Warren or Green comes in, if Colvin misses a season Vrabel comes in. If Brady were to miss any time this team would struggle therefore he gets my vote for MVP!

Great point and BH36. Now isn't it time you change your number to 37??

bighit26 said:
This name better?

I couldn't have put it better myself. He had a hell of a game introducing himself to the Colts receivers. I think they tried to pick on him, but he seemed up to the challenge. Welcome Bighit 26!

Man can Eugene Wilson lay the lumber.

After the 1st Colts completion (on him) I thought it was going to be a replay of last week, but the kid held his ground.

Oh, and absolutely pummeled a few recievers.

I thought a couple of his hits looked like the launching hit he nearly got fined for earlier in the yr. I hope the league dosen't start in with that again!
He really is not playing like a rookie, I think Rodney has brought him along nicely.
On to the SB vs the big Cats!

Back