Curt Schilling to the Sox?

I saw this. Still not official, is it? If he can pitch like his old self, then he'll be a great addition to the staff! Wow! I was getting a little giddy with all the A-Rod talk too, but that doesn't seem probable.

I'll believe the A-Rod talk when the North Star wondermen land on my front lawn.

There isn't enough money to pay the guy even if we got sixty cents on the dollar for ManRam.

I would like to know what prospects they are considering giving up for the 37-year old Schilling (he just had a birthday). Don't believe the talk that Curt prefers the Yankees - supposedly he is fired up for the Sox but wants a little bit of a raise up to the 15M range.

I don't know, I really don't but think that Schilling might be one guy that is worth it. Peter Gammons is supposed to be on WEEI tomorrow and he'll know the scoop.

I'll try and catch it and provide an update.

pookie said:
Wow! I was getting a little giddy with all the A-Rod talk too, but that doesn't seem probable.

Okay, I'll bite. Could we afford A-Rod and is he really worth it? What does he bring to the Sox for that kind of money?

NoRespect said:
Okay, I'll bite. Could we afford A-Rod and is he really worth it? What does he bring to the Sox for that kind of money?

Well, nobody is truly worth THAT kind of money... but.... As much as it pains me to say this, he would be an upgrade over Nomar. I love Nomar and I speak from a winning standpoint only. A-Rods glove is far superior to Nomar's, as his power at the plate. But it'll all come down to $$$ and the Sox won't be able to afford PayRod. Keep in mind that Nomar's contract is up after next season and he's as good as gone anyway. I don't think his heart is, or ever has been in Boston anyway.

I respect Rodriguez very much, but recently heard a shocking stat that broke down his average vs Nomah's in "key situations" of something like that.

I forget exactly what the stat geeks used to determine what defined that but it was something like from the 7th inning on in a game that was close i.e. two runs or less apart.

Point being trying to define who is more clutch over the last 3 years.

A-Rod's average was under .250 and Nomars was .330 plus.

I couldnt believe it, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you dont. Especially when the 1st devil is a lot cheaper.

I like A-Rod, but there is no way that it will happen. That contract is such an albatross that only King George is crazy enough to pay him - and he's got Jeter.

Hawg73 said:
I respect Rodriguez very much, but recently heard a shocking stat that broke down his average vs Nomah's in "key situations" of something like that.

I forget exactly what the stat geeks used to determine what defined that but it was something like from the 7th inning on in a game that was close i.e. two runs or less apart.

Point being trying to define who is more clutch over the last 3 years.

A-Rod's average was under .250 and Nomars was .330 plus.

I couldnt believe it, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you dont. Especially when the 1st devil is a lot cheaper.

I like A-Rod, but there is no way that it will happen. That contract is such an albatross that only King George is crazy enough to pay him - and he's got Jeter.

You're right and I mis-spoke when I stated that A-Rod is an upgrade to Nomar. His glove and power are, but Nomar has been better in the clutch and his BA is WAY higher. It doesn't really matter now because that deal isn't going to happen and we'll all be dreading what's going to happen after the '04 season with Mr Hamm. I expect a huge year out of Nomar next season, his last as a Sox player. :(

Hawg73 said:

I would like to know what prospects they are considering giving up for the 37-year old Schilling (he just had a birthday).

Schilling will be traded to Boston, pending Schilling's approval, in a deal that would send 25-year-old lefthander Casey Fossum, 24-year-old righthander Brandon Lyon and two prospects to Arizona. Schilling said he will not approve the trade until a contract extension is worked out.

Am I on the Yankees board all of a sudden? Boston is officially joining the Dark Side this offseason. I better never again hear a Sox fan bitch about the Yankees "buying a championship!" Hopefully both teams will go broke and the sport of baseball will become less of a farse!

FallingAlice said:
I read in the Herald today, that the way to make the Schilling deal possible was to sign A-ROD.

What the? How could that be? That is so COOOL.

And I don't want to pat myself on the back or anything, but I think my numerous A-Rod posts on the beefcake thread helped bring this little bit of good luck about.

Alice,

I was under the impression that hiring Francona, who was Schilling's coach in Philly, was the clincher. He wants A-rod too? Doesn't want much does he? Maybe we can rename the Park Schilling's Way Park.

I'm sure that the Red Sox brass doesn't make a move without first checking out the beefcake thread. ;) "Lifetime era, check, strikeouts, check, complete games, check, hey did anyone get a look at this guy's a-ss?"

Back