Friday's most underrated move..... Paxton

BluVayner

Reaction score
All of the fuss is about the Pats trading Vrabel, but the most underrated development yesterday is probably the Pats losing Lonie Paxton.

I've been watching football for a long time, and I don't think that I've ever seen a better long snapper. He's been on the Pats for what ...9 years now?....and I can't remember ever seeing a bad snap from him. Never a bounced snap to the holder, never a snap over the punter's head, always right on the numbers. He's played in rain, wind, snow, slop, and every condition imaginable, and never had a bad snap in 9 years.

I remember holding my breath in SB38, when Paxton was hurt, and that Kinchen (sp?) guy was bouncing snaps everywhere. You don't appreciate a guy like him, until he's gone, and the next guy loses you a game.

Paxton was making around $800K last season, and just signed with the Broncos for something like 5 years, at $5.3M. Is it worth losing a sure thing like Paxton over $300K or $400K a year? Hell, a long snapper can play until he's 40.

No doubt Paxton was great while he was here. And he makes one helluva snow angel too.

But personally, I will worry about the long snapper job after we lose a game due to a bad snap on special teams. Let's be honest now, 31 other teams have long snappers. It's not like Lonnie Paxton is the only guy in the league with this skill.

I thank both Vrabel and Paxton for their contributions but I don't think either is irreplaceable at this point.

All of the fuss is about the Pats trading Vrabel, but the most underrated development yesterday is probably the Pats losing Lonie Paxton.

I've been watching football for a long time, and I don't think that I've ever seen a better long snapper. He's been on the Pats for what ...9 years now?....and I can't remember ever seeing a bad snap from him. Never a bounced snap to the holder, never a snap over the punter's head, always right on the numbers. He's played in rain, wind, snow, slop, and every condition imaginable, and never had a bad snap in 9 years.

I remember holding my breath in SB38, when Paxton was hurt, and that Kinchen (sp?) guy was bouncing snaps everywhere. You don't appreciate a guy like him, until he's gone, and the next guy loses you a game.

Paxton was making around $800K last season, and just signed with the Broncos for something like 5 years, at $5.3M. Is it worth losing a sure thing like Paxton over $300K or $400K a year? Hell, a long snapper can play until he's 40.

Yup. Very underrrated. Good post.

But we'll carry on, and see how these somewhat 'new' Patriots work out. In three words, I Ain't Worried!

Underrated, by most teams? Yeah. Overrated by most Pats fans? Yeah.

Who muffed the last long snap that you can remember? The most recent 'famous' one was by that Pittsurgh guy (exactly), right before they solidified the position with an off-street FA.

For $700,000, Hochstein should be able to proctectile the pigskin 10 yards. If not, we'll have someone at least as capable as the other 31 teams. Watching long snaps fly to the moon while Benny Hill music plays is generally grainy and seen on NFL Films greatest of.

Back