Hey Dudes, Ricky Wants to Play Again

grog

Chief Instigation Officer
Reaction score
From ESPN....

Dolphins coach, Williams discussing comebackAssociated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Ricky Williams is discussing a comeback with the Miami Dolphins, coach Nick Saban said Thursday.

Saban acknowledged holding recent discussions with Williams, whose sudden retirement stunned the Dolphins shortly before training camp began last season. He would not divulge specifics of the talks, but has long said that he was open to the prospect of Williams returning.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards and 25 touchdowns in his two seasons with the Dolphins.

"Ricky still seems to be very, very interested in coming back," Saban said. "As I've said before, the things that we discuss, we've decided not to talk about publicly. I think that I can safely say that you all know about his situation as I do."

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, didn't immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Williams, who led the NFL in rushing in 2002, still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract by unexpectedly retiring.

He also entered into a settlement last month with a former South Florida woman, agreeing to pay $4,200 per month in support and establish a $300,000 trust fund for a child he fathered.

After quitting the Dolphins, the former Heisman Trophy winner later acknowledged that he failed drug tests and faced a suspension for testing positive three times for marijuana.

"There are issues that need to be worked through," Saban said. "We're all in the process of evaluating those issues before it is resolved."

If Williams returns, he'd likely have to wait until July to un-retire. Otherwise, he would face a one-year suspension for his violations of the NFL's substance-abuse program. Williams will still face a four-game suspension for failing a third drug test for marijuana last July, just before he retired.

Plus, the Dolphins used the No. 2 overall pick in last month's draft on another running back, Ronnie Brown of Auburn.

Sounds like if he comes back after July, he only has to serve a 4 game suspension. I imagine he's already been fit with a whizzinator. The Dolphins were pretty tough a couple of years ago when they had a running game. Anybody starting to worry that the Phins may give the Pats some trouble?

ricky is a cool dude and i'd smoke some bud with him, but i sure wouldn't want him on my team :D

If Ricky Williams and David Boston are signed, I'm all about that.
Anything to help grease the skids of the Dulfans, is ok by me.

grogsox said:
... Anybody starting to worry that the Phins may give the Pats some trouble?
Not really. Williams doesn't really want to play, he has to. He got an $8.6 Million bill from the Fins and he doesn't have the resources to pay it. Besides, they need more than a power RB to get into contention for the playoffs.

He may give the Patriots some trouble but it's not nearly enough to worry about anytime soon.

Is it me, or are the Fins becoming the Raiders? Felons, pot heads, rapists, you name it. Life in the NFL is good, I hope they're in the cellar a good long time. A little humility wouldn't hurt the fans and the players, hence my sig.

ROFL

This is some funny shiat...

From the Palm Beach Post

Commentary: Wandering Ricky not hard to track down
By Dave George

Palm Beach Post Columnist

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Slowly, unsurely, Ricky Williams approaches.

He is like a hot-air balloon, drifting wherever the wind blows.

Nick Saban is doing his best to talk the former NFL rushing leader down between now and the start of training camp. The good news is that a month remains to accomplish that task.

The bad news is that an unrepentant wanderer like this one could circle the globe a few more times in a month. Talk about your runaway bride. We may yet look back on that 1999 magazine cover photo in a wedding dress as one of Ricky's more lucid moments.

Let's try to guess the route the mystery man will take to South Florida, relying on clues from his infrequent public ramblings. It'll be a game. It'll be fun.

It'll be a service, too, to agent Leigh Steinberg. Ever since Ricky skipped out on the Dolphins last summer, his representative has been scrambling to keep up. Recently, Steinberg told reporters that Ricky was driving to South Florida from California. With the price of gas, it's no wonder he wants a new Dolphins contract.

Turns out, though, that Ricky made plans to fly to Boston instead.

Boston. Well, of course. Remember what Ricky told Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes? "My whole thing in life is I just want freedom." Boston is home to the Freedom Trail, a clearly marked walk through the neighborhoods of America's original contrarians. See how this works?

Ricky isn't nearly as difficult to figure out as he pretends.

He left the game a year ago, for instance, because he didn't want it known that he was smoking grass. So he moves to a California community called Grass Valley. Really.

As for Boston, Ricky says he planned to spend Father's Day weekend there with his 6-year-old daughter. The little girl's name is Marley, a nod to Ricky's hero, reggae legend Bob Marley.

Makes you wonder. Was the name Mary Jane already taken or something?

What comes next on the road back to the NFL, where regular drug tests await and a one-year suspension comes with the next positive result?

Well, Ricky could camp out for a few nights with the other protesters on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court. Justices recently ruled that federal lawmen can prosecute patients who smoke pot on doctor's orders. If medicinal marijuana use is not allowed, how is Ricky going to advise the Dolphins training staff the next time he sprains an ankle in a goal-line pileup? I mean, the guy's a student of the holistic healing arts. He can't put just anything into his body.

There are some other obvious destinations where Ricky could lay over for a night or two on the way to training camp, like Pottstown, Pa., or maybe the little Southern California town of Weed Patch. It's a great, big beautiful world out there, particularly for a man who knows what he wants.

Check back to that 60 Minutes interview in December, when Ricky talked of living in a tent community in Australia and tearing through stacks of books by flashlight. What kind of books?

"Everything from nutrition to Buddhism to Jesus," said Ricky, "to try to figure out, you know, what am I? What am I? So I just kept reading and reading."

Saban's got something else for him to read, a dull-as-dishwater playbook.

Whether Ricky ever gets his hands on one of those again, or his expanded mind into a Dolphins helmet, is as risky to predict as ever. But, hey, that's all part of the Ricky game.

The least the Dolphins can do at this point, and the most, for that matter, is to just keep rolling the dice.

Back