Live from Tikrit, Iraq

BuckWild

Sum Ergo Cogito
Reaction score
it's the one and only BuckWild.

Hey to all, sorry it took so long to check back in but internet access isn't the easiest thing to find in Iraq. All is well, I still have all my body parts and most of my sanity (atleast as much as I came here with).

The temp here ranges from hot, to friggin hot, too holy ****. There is entirely too much sand, and not nearly enough vegetation.

I will try to post some pictures as soon as I figure it out and can get on the net.

Some one fill me in on the draft. News here isn't very new.

Well how'd the party go? Hope every one had a good time. Maybe I can make the next one.

Later

Buck Wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you are ok!

Hope you can make it home soon.

This is the Pats draft:

1 13(13) from Washington through N.Y. Jets and Chicago TY WARREN DT TEXAS A&M
2 4(36) EUGENE WILSON CB ILLINOIS
2 13(45) from Carolina BETHEL JOHNSON WR TEXAS A&M
4 20(117) from Houston DAN KLECKO NT TEMPLE
4 23(120) from New England through Carolina and Denver ASANTE SAMUEL CB CENTRAL FLORIDA
5 29(164) from Tennessee DAN KOPPEN C BOSTON COLLEGE
6 28(201) from Tennessee KLIFF KINGSBURY QB TEXAS TECH
7 20(234) SPENCER NEAD TE BRIGHAM YOUNG
7 25(239) from New Orleans TULLY BANTA-CAIN DE CALIFORNIA
7 29(243) from Tennessee ETHAN KELLEY NT BAYLOR

If you want to know anything specific about any of the players, let us know.

Yo Buck! Glad to hear you're safe and sound dude. You're not missing too much in Texas either sir. Just your typical springtime Texas stuff.... you know.... hail the size of baseballs, tornado horns going off left and right..... the usual.

Be safe man and hurry your ass home.

BuckWild said:
Someone fill me in on the draft. News here isn't very new.

Well how'd the party go? Hope every one had a good time. Maybe I can make the next one.

Hey Buck,

Glad to hear you are safe and sound! The draft was not quite what everyone was expecting but I think there are some good prospects. Belichick did a lot of wheeling and dealing and his picks were a surprise to even the most ardent fans. Suffice it to say that not one of the picks was forecasted by anyone to my knowledge with the exception of TY Warren as an alternate on some boards.

The focus was primarily on the defense with three nose tackles, two CB's and a DE who will be making the transition to LB. The four offensive players include a WR, Center, QB and TE. The WR, Bethel Johson, is considered by many to be the fastest player in the draft. The Pats also picked Dan Klecko who is undersized but a very strong and relentless pass rusher like his father was, the former Jets Pro-Bowl NT Joe Klecko. Ty Warren is a guy that many think project better as a defensive end although he played nose tackle as a junior. He has speed and strength and should be able to improve the line regardless of where he ends up. I expect the Pats will still be looking for a veteran FA nose tackle probably after the June 1 cuts as they didn't come up with a prototypical NT in this draft.

Tully Banta-Cain (strange name) is the one real "steal" for the Pats in this draft. He is an undersized DE pass rusher who many think could be the Pats next McGinest. He will be a good fit for the Pats at LB with the transition to a 3-4 defense.

Another pick that should help the Pats is CB Eugene Wilson from Illinois. He is a physical corner who should be able to come right in and compete for a position. One comment made after the draft by one GM was "they found their next Ty Law." If that alone is true the draft will be a success.

As for the party, while not as well attended as we would have liked, all in attendance had a great time. It was raining in biblical proportions outside so it was a good day to be inside watching the draft. Most of us had our mouths open trying to figure out the selections but later came to feel better about the choices. Plenty of beer was flowing to help ease the pain.

Hope that helps. We'll look forward to you joining us for the next one!

Banta-Cain at UC-Berkeley.

02FB-BantaCain-hits-QB-RW_s.jpg

On Banta-Cain as a sack artist:

"You have to be impressed with his sound technique, hustling approach and impressive production against quality Pac-10 opposition...He has great pass-rushing technique -- he's as good technically as anybody getting after the quarterback."

Mel Kiper, NFL Draft Guru

http://www.joyadesign.com/tully/

Scouting report on Eugene Wilson, CB:

p-wilson.jpg

Eugene Wilson
College: Illinois
Year: Senior
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 186
Birthday: August 17, 1980

Strengths: Illinois' aggressive new defense in 2001 asked a lot of the Illini cornerbacks, putting them on islands to handle receivers man-on-man. Eugene Wilson responded to the challenge. He lead the nation with 30 passes broken up and also snagged six interceptions, with three coming in one game against Penn State. As these stats indicate, he reacts very well when the ball is in the air and has great instincts for reading the receiver and positioning himself to make a play. Why did opponents keep throwing in his direction? Wilson baits quarterbacks by allowing the receiver to get open and then making his move on the ball.

A former high school point guard, Wilson is an excellent all-around athlete with outstanding quickness and agility. He has nice size and straight-line speed for an NFL cornerback. Wilson also serves as Illinois' primary kickoff and punt return man, averaging 19.6 yards per kick return and 10 yards per punt return.

Areas for Concern: Wilson's last game of his junior year is one that he would like to forget. LSU torched Wilson and the Illini for 421 passing yards and three touchdowns through the air in the Sugar Bowl. Tiger wide receiver Josh Reed, the Bills' second-round pick in April, dominated Wilson, posting 14 catches for 235 yards and two touchdowns. Wilson had 12 tackles for the night, but too many of them came after LSU completions. He must show in 2002 that the Sugar Bowl was an aberration.

Wisconsin speedster Lee Evans also enjoyed success against Wilson, finishing the game with nine receptions for 150 yards and two touchdowns. Wilson's gambling style of play results in big plays for either him or his opponent, and his track record against quality receivers like Reed and Evans does not bode well for his future in the NFL if he continues with this approach.

(profile written by Warren DeLuca) See the source website here.

----

Josh Reed? Sheesh. We'll probably never have to play against Reed anyway. It isn't like we have to play him twice a year. Besides, Reed isn't even the Bills best receiver....

Note to Belichick: might want to watch film of a certain LSU-Illinois game... :thumb:

Of course, I can't vouch for the source of the report, but he does seem to know what he's talking about. I'm going to say it was an aberration! Complete aberration! "Torched" is a relative term! :)

*** To make matters worse, I just realized that the guy helping Reed "torch" Wilson was none other than our own Rohan Davey...

Buck,

If you can't tell, the Pats made a lot of trades. Even to the point of trading down, only to trade back up and take Samuel at their original pick.

Best move? Trading #19 to Baltimore for the Crow's 2nd rounder, and their first rounder next year.

That leaves the Pats with:

2 first rounders
2 second rounders
1 third rounder
3 fourth rounders

This gives the Pats even more flexibility to go after players they want, in what should be a much deeper draft.

Of course, Belichick could also just keep trading picks, ensuring a two first rounders every year, but never using both. :D

Back