Meet Cowboy Terrell Owens

I saw a report (here or somewhere else) that Drew actually said he wanted Ego-Boy as a team mate.

Methinks Drew's head has bounced off the turf way too many times.

$10MM for the first year ladies and gentlemen. How 'bout them Cowboys!

----------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2374225

Updated: March 18, 2006, 4:29 PM ET
Owens' contract could net him record money
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The contract that Terrell Owens signed with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday provides him the opportunity to be one of the highest-paid wide receivers in NFL history over a three-year period, and the chance to earn more than he would have under his contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, ESPN.com has learned.

The three-year contract can be worth as much as $25 million if Owens plays through the deal and Dallas opts to pay him pricey roster bonuses in the springs of 2007 and 2008.

Owens, who was released by the Eagles on Tuesday, will earn a bonus of $5 million for this season and a base salary of $5 million, for total compensation of $10 million. Under his contract with the Eagles, Owens would have earned $8.52 million for 2006.

Dallas must then pay Owens a roster bonus of $3 million in March 2007 to retain him for that season, at a base salary of $5 million. There is another roster bonus of $3 million due in March 2008, and Owens has a base salary of $4 million for that year.

Under the terms of the seven-year, $49 million contract that Owens signed with Philadelphia after being traded to the Eagles in 2004, he would have earned $20.27 million for the 2006-2008 seasons. So there is the potential, should the contract with the Cowboys remain intact, for Owens to make nearly $5 million more in Dallas than he would have with the Eagles.

Compared to the contracts of other high-profile wide receivers leaguewide, Owens can earn more over a three-year period than Randy Moss of Oakland did with his recent deal, and more over two seasons than Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison did with his new contract signed two years ago.

Of course, as was the case in Philadelphia, Owens' earning potential will be tied to his performance on and off the field. Because of the roster bonus, and the exercise dates of each, the contract in Dallas could be as short as one season. Even at one year, however, the $10 million that Owens will bank is more than some skeptics felt he could garner after his tumultuous 2005 season.

And if Owens is productive, and is not a distraction, the Cowboys seem to have the wherewithal and the future salary cap space to retain him for all three seasons of the contract.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

The news conference was live on nfl network. As I sat here watching Jerry Jones talk about how happy he was to have Owens I wanted to sit him down and show him the press conference the Eagles had when Owens joined them.

And watching Rosenhaus blather on practically foaming at the mouth made me have to choke back the vomit.

Good luck to the 'Boys, they're a-gonna need it !

Thankee, WA. That absurd contract just proves that my statement about JJ loving me-first WRs is true. :shake:

i can't wait for him to call bledsoe a statue, that he throws INTs at crucial times, and say he wished tom brady was his QB. should be a load of fun!

jim_vh said:
i can't wait for him to call bledsoe a statue, that he throws INTs at crucial times, and say he wished tom brady was his QB. should be a load of fun!

More than likely, he'll openly say that he wishes he was playing for The Great Brett Favre.

The bright side would be that he realizes and understands that he fugged up huge in Phili and changes his attitude in order to play for a half-way decent QB again.

Wow. What amazes me is that they gave him 25Million over THREE years. That's a much better contract than he left in Philly...which unfortunately will allow this selfish fool to rationalize what he did.

That being said, I don't see him and Drew having a problem. Drew is awful good at the long ball...if he has time in the backfield (which he didn't in Buffalo). I see this making Dallas pretty good offensively next year.

But damn. 8.3Million a year. Where does Dallas find that money?

aaava said:
But damn. 8.3Million a year. Where does Dallas find that money?

It's called Net Present Value: the value ($$) derived from winning a championship now to an owner such as Jones and a coach such as Parcells is worth much more to these guys personally than the value of a championship won in 5 years. Hence, steal from the future to pay for today, while hoping the salary cap escalates at a high enough rate to cover any of your mistakes: at some unknown time in the future this kind of strategy will fail, much like a Ponzi (pyramid) scheme.

(Actually, that last sentence sounds a lot like our Social Security program here in the US, now that I think of it.) eeek

Steve1 said:
Hehe

I just watched the press conference....what a hoot! Jerry Jones put a very rosey spin on the whole thing, and TO was very nice and personable. He deflected questions about his past pretty nicely, although at one point, he actually came out with:

"I've Always been a good teammate".

I heard that too, and then immediately changed the channel. What a bunch of crap. Who does he think he's kidding?

It's like the Cowboys are becoming the Raiders of the 21st Century. Got a real a$$hole, s***-bag player on your team that no one wants? Dallas will sign him.

This post is dedicated to #54

I was counting the days until this manifested itself:

---------------------------------------------

From the San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13864124.htm

Posted on Mon, Feb. 13, 2006
Get ready for a Terrell Owens television production
BY BOB BROOKOVER
Knight Ridder Newspapers

PHILADELPHIA - T.O. TV.

If locally based Banyan Productions can cut a deal with one of the seven million TV networks out there, Terrell Owens television will become the latest in a never-ending line of "reality" programs in the not-too-distant future.

The soon-to-be former Eagles wide receiver has reached an agreement with Banyan, which is best known for its production of "Trading Spaces'' on TLC.

Banyan said in a news release that T.O. TV plans to combine Owens' "passion for working out with his natural curiosity about other people."

The release said: "Guests on the show will come from the worlds of sports, entertainment and even politics - and no subject will be off limits. The show will rely on T.O.'s witty personality and tendency to speak his mind."

Banyan executive Tom Fowler said his company is in negotiations with several networks that have an interest in the show.

"We're hoping to get it started as soon as possible," Fowler said. "I would be surprised if this didn't take off extremely soon based upon T.O.'s interest and the interest we've received from some networks. There's an appetite for this type of programming. It's a celebrity-fitness-based program. This is a fresh approach to this type of programming."

The idea, according to Fowler, took shape with a call to Owens in mid-December, shortly after his much-publicized banishment from the Eagles.

Fowler said he had no concerns about working with Owens.

"I don't worry for a second about that," he said. "He's a terrific guy. What happened with the Eagles was between him and the Eagles. This is a totally different arena, and I don't expect any problems at all with him."

Asked about Banyan's attraction to Owens, Fowler said it was "absolutely his personality," but the wide receiver's body caught the company's eye, too.

"Anybody here in Philadelphia saw what he did on his front lawn" in Moorestown, Fowler said. "He's probably one of the most fit athletes in America."

Who knew T.O. was auditioning for his own TV show when he started doing those crunches on his driveway in August?

So, can we expect to see Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb on the premier episode of T.O. TV?

"If I were a betting man, I'd probably say no," Fowler said. "Maybe the second or third episode, but not the pilot."

------------------------------------------

I absolutely love the quote, ""Anybody here in Philadelphia saw what he did on his front lawn". Yes, he took a giant metaphorical, 5 orders of Wendy's 99-cent chili, DUMP on his front lawn, in the form of the Philadelphia Eagles. Nice of Jerry Jones to undermine the adage, "Don't shit where you eat" though. ;)

When "You are what you eat," meets "Don't shit where you eat." - cowboy-style

Turd81.jpg

TrueBeliever said:
It's like the Cowboys are becoming the Raiders of the 21st Century. Got a real a$$hole, s***-bag player on your team that no one wants? Dallas will sign him.

or like miami of the jimmy johnson error ... era i mean.

No T.O. isnt going to cause trouble as a Cowboy. At least for his first year or so. He may even get the Cowboys into the playoffs. The Cowboys had what, 9 wins last year. T.O. alone can win them 3 more. He may self destruct later on. He wants his money though. He is going to be a good boy. He dosent want to be doing boost mobile commercials for the rest of his life.

Re: This post is dedicated to #54

Wandering Athol said:
I was counting the days until this manifested itself:

From the San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13864124.htm

Posted on Mon, Feb. 13, 2006
Get ready for a Terrell Owens television production
BY BOB BROOKOVER
Knight Ridder Newspapers

PHILADELPHIA - T.O. TV.

I'm not surprised. Not in the least. Afterall, wife(Whitney Houston)beater Bobby Brown had his own (thankfully short-lived) series.

Grabbed this off http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm:

And then there's the rap song from Owens' web site, in which he taunts the Eagles and flaunts his new contract:

"When it comes to this game, I'm the best in the field, some said I was gonna sign just a one-year deal, but I got what I wanted up front, 10 mil, changed the rules of the game, so now how you feel?"

-----------------------------------------------

The Cowboys three-ring circus has now officially opened for business: this clown is going to be good for amusement all year long.

My hunch: this is Parcells last year with Dallas.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0

Bengals | C. Johnson chats with Owens
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 06:22:24 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Chad Johnson said he shared a flight over the weekend with Dallas Cowboys WR Terrell Owens and that they discussed the league's new restrictions on end-zone celebrations. "I don't celebrate. I entertain," Johnson said Tuesday, April 4. "We talked about how they're trying to stop us."

----------------------------------------------

In related news, the government is reporting drastically increased activity in the black market sale of surface-to-air missile equipment. ;)

The Planet's own, #54, could not be reached for comment.

I refuse to let this die.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/blitz/

“Still, fans said they hated it but the Cowboys sold 150,000 T.O. jerseys in two days. That shows you they talk a good game, but just want wins. ”

How 'bout them Cowboys!
owens.jpg

#54 said:
The only reasons Ego-Boy would sign with Dallas are:

1. He's getting close to what he wants for $.

2. He's going to be playing with a QB that he knows will frig up alot and the camera will be on him while he gets in the QB's face.

Jerry Jones was the only GM dumb enough to pay T.O., damn, where's Matt Millen when you need him?

You Patriots fans kill me. Your almighty organization can do no wrong but everyone else in the NFL is a boob in your eyes. See you effers in January. The Cowboys signed Terrell Owens because he is the best receiver in the game pound for pound. It's a risk, every signing is a risk. If TO acts up, we cut him and move on like the Eagles did. By the way, what kind of weak pansy assed team lets one guy ruin their season? What kind of lousy football club allows that to happen? If you cant control one guy, winning a Super Bowl is the least of your worries. If your brilliant, classy ,can do no wrong team had signed TO, you'd be eating it up. Breathlessly proclaiming how TO would seamlessly assimilate into the well oiled machine that is the NE PATS. Whatever. I'll take my chances with an asshole who can bring you 1,200 yds and 13 TDs per yr than trotting out a bunch of "lovable good guys" catching 30 balls for 280 yds and 2 scores. This move will work out better than any of you think and I predict TO gets a 2 yr extension in last year of the contract to finish out his career as a Cowboy.

Back