Mock Draft from expats

midgar8784

Reaction score
Here was a mock draft from a page I frequent through facebook......I hate it, which means it probably has the best chance of happening.....anyone that comes down here take a look at tell me why its good or bad...

http://expatsfootball.com/posts/53353

As I continue looking at possible Patriot Draft day moves, several things appear likely. In the past, Bill Belichick has traded out of the first round to get more draft picks and better value for his draft picks. Last year the Patriots needed more draft picks and Bill successfully traded the Patriots 1st pick to Minnesota for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick. This year there are a number of teams who may want the Patriots 1st (# 29th) on draft day.

But could Bill trade up? For Bill to trade up in the draft depends a great deal on the player he would like to get. I see OG/T Zack Martin as a player that appears to be a wonderful fit for the Patriots. But it looks like he will go to either Dallas (16th) or Miami (19th). In order to get Martin, the Patriots would need to move above these teams in the draft order, which could be costly.

Could Bill try to add draft picks to next year's draft? I see this as a big possibility, given the Patriot players on the roster. If your going to draft a guy you must assume he can make your roster over players you have already. Bill looks for talented players that may need time to play a role for the future of the franchise. So in most cases the guys on the roster are there for there potential. Guys who have under-performed after a given time could be cut in favor of a new prospect. Players to watch in this category; S Tavon Wilson and DE Jake Bequette.

Other things affecting the draft are the signing of free agent players to fill needs for the team's future. Can the Patriots fill future needs AFTER the draft, by grabbing players who were undrafted which the Patriots have had great success doing?

So with all of this in mind, I have established a mock draft.

First, the Patriots trade 1st pick (#29) to Dallas for their 2nd (# 47) and their 3rd and 5th picks in the 2015 draft. This would allow Dallas to get two first round players they need; OG/T Zack Martin and DT Ra'shed Hageman, and still have a 3rd and 4th round pick for this year. Dallas may also feel their 3rd and 5th picks next year will be higher and of less value than this year. For the Patriots, Bill gets an early 2nd to get a player he projects to be available at #47, but may be unavailable at the Patriots' current selection at # 62 in the 2nd round. But most helpful is Dallas's 3rd and 5th picks next year. These draft picks cost the Patriots no money this year, but adds value to next years draft, where ever the picks fall in the draft order.

Could Bill trade QB Ryan Mallett for more choices? It all depends if Mallett is considered the future of the franchise. Mallett's rookie contract ends after the 2014 season. If Mallett's the future guy, then he gets a $3-4 million a year deal to back-up Tom for another two/three years. If Mallett is not the future guy, look for a deal this year and drafting a guy for the future.

For my article, I'm trading Mallett and the Patriots 3rd (# 93) to Oakland, for their 3rd (#67) and their 3rd in 2015. Oakland gets a QB who has trained under Tom Brady for two years as opposed to drafting a guy with no NFL training. Oakland also projects their 3rd pick next year to be higher than this years pick, and less value.

Once again Bill gets a 3rd pick in 2015, which is no cost to this year's team, but adds value to next year. He also moves from late 3rd round to early 3rd round to get the guy he is projecting.

So given my trade moves, here is my mock draft.

Dallas #47- CB Kyle Fuller, a well rounded CB with great ball skills, and a solid tackler in the run game. Depth if the Patriots sign Talib, or a future starter if Talib is gone.

Patriots # 62 - QB A.J. McCarron , McCarron is my future guy in New England. At 6'3" 215 lbs, McCarron has size, and played for a major power in college football. Very good touch passer, makes good decisions, and has played in some of the biggest college football games in the last three years. McCarron could be taken at #47 and Fuller at this spot.

Oakland's # 67- LB Shayne Skov, 6'3" 250 lbs. A very smart player who plays down hill, moves well along the line and in blitz packages. Not a fast guy as he ran a 4.8 second 40 yard dash and he's only an average coverage guy, but solid inside LB at a size and with smarts that Bill likes.

Patriots # 125- TE Arthur Lynch. A solid TE. 6'5" 260 lbs. This is another guy I like as he just plain "fits" in the Patriots system.

Philly # 182- RB Tyler Gaffney. A solid RB in the Stanford offense, a quality guy that "fits" the Patriot system.

Patriots # 189- S Brock Vereen. 5'11" 190 lbs. Runs a 4.48 second 40 yard dash. A safety who I think has been over looked, with great speed and coverage abilities. Vereen was a solid player for Minnesota. He's also Shane Vereen's brother.

Patriots # 221- OG Spencer Long. Outstanding OG at Nabraska. 6'4" 310 pounds, before going down with a knee injury in his senior year. VERY smart player, who may miss the NFL Combine but of great value here.

Next year the Patriots 2015 draft has added value with my Mock trades this year and looks like;

Patriots 1st, Patriots 2nd, Oaklands 3rd, Dallas 3rd, Patriots 3d, Patriots 4th, Dallas 5th, Patriots 5th, Patriots 6th, and Patriots 7th.

This 2015 draft continues the influx of younger players , or adds value to Bill's ability of trading up for a player he wants in an earlier round.

I've been looking at CBs/S, and Fuller is one on my list.

Others include:

Deonne Bucannon S Washington St
Antone Exum CB/S Virginia Tech
Tre Boston CB/S North Carolina
Dezman Southward S Wisconsin

I like Arthur Lynch. I don't know much about the rest of those guys, but Skov isn't a bad pick, IMO.

QBs I'm checking out right now:

Jimmy Garroppollo Eastern Illinois
Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
Bryn Renner North Carolina

QBs I'm checking out right now:

Jimmy Garroppollo Eastern Illinois
Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
Bryn Renner North Carolina

Isn't that where Romo went to school? I am not sure it would be fun to say his name and spell it out each time, we would have to come up with a nick name for him.

Back