OL Thoughts

MaineMan

Reaction score
First, WRT "drill numbers", for OL they're probably slightly less important than intelligence and attitude and, like official rookie weight measurements, after a year or two, those youthful demonstrations of power, agility, etc. probably matter even less.

However, some of them may provide a useful baseline for comparison. For example, as with weight, a guy's strength as represented by his bench-rep number may be more likely to increase than to dwindle with a couple years in the league. His explosion (vertical and long jump numbers) may even improve a bit with NFL training. OTOH, a guy's native agility (short-shuttle, 3-cone) seems much less likely to get much better (though he could become more effective in using what he's got if his technique improves).

In any case, I am using original rookie meaurements below, but merely as a way of comparing "athleticism starting points". This isn't foolproof, of course. In case you missed it, UDFA Tackle RJ Mattes (6062/321) - who put up some nice drill numbers, especially his 3-cone (7.32) - was picked up by the Pats just after rookie camp. And, was cut a mere nine days later to make room for the far less athletic Haslam.
-------------

Preliminary depth chart (with contract year):

Primaries -

Solder (2014) --- Mankins (2016) --- Wendell (2013) --- Connolly (2014) --- Vollmer (2016)
Vollmer (2016) --- Connolly (2014) ---- Connolly (2014) ---- Cannon (2014) ------- Cannon (2014)

Seems to me that, if there's an injury to one starter, the group above should be able to absorb it quite easily with little dropoff. However, if there are TWO simultaneous injuries to starters (especially at Tackle), there may be some question marks WRT the second-tier reserves.

"Veteran" reserves:

Tackle -

Svitek (6064/308) 4.93/40, 33 reps, 32" vert, 9.04 long jump (no agility drill data)
- An eight-year veteran with at least some starting experience at both tackle spots, the rookie drill numbers I have for him are identical to Solder's, with the caveat that Solder's agility numbers were hard to beat. At 6064, Svitek also has more length than any of the other candidates for reserve/swing tackle. I still won't say that he's a lock for the roster, but my opinion of his chances has improved significantly.

McDonald (6041/316) 5.21/40, 27 reps, 27" vert, 8.06 long (no agility drill data)
Zusevics (6047/303) (no drill data)
- While neither of these guys has the ideal length for OT, none of the other candidates does either. And, while neither has taken a significant number of NFL snaps, they both have training/experience in the Pats' blocking schemes. Mcdonald has at least practiced at all five OL spots (making him a candidate for the "Russ Hochstein Versatility Award"). McDonald's 40-time was the same as Connolly's and he put up more reps, but his explosiveness wasn't quite as good and Connoly's agility numbers (4.54, 7.67) were fairly decent. Zuzevics remains a nearly complete unknown to me aside from his pre-draft scouting reports which noted his starting experience at RT and very good movement skills.

Haslam (6046/304) 5.62/40, 24 reps, 29" vert, 8.04 long, 4.78 ssh, 7.75 3-cone
- Has some NFL starting experience at both tackle spots (albeit not particularly successful, and in a primarily man/power scheme), but is kinda slow. I still think he's most likely Camp-fodder, but it comes down to how well Zuzevics/McDonald have developed and whether UDFAs Fisher and Chris McDonald can jump over everyone else.

Guard -

In terms of "veterans", perhaps all of the above with the exception of Svitek, plus:

Tyronne Green (6016/309) 5.40/40, 22 reps, 28.5 vert, 8.06 long, 4.80 ssh, 8.12 3-cone
- Had 27 starts in SDG's man/power schemes over the past three seasons, mostly at LG, but has played live snaps across the entire line at least a bit. His drill numbers, though, are worse than those of Cannon, a much bigger man who was also suffering from cancer at the time. Definitely not the length for OT, but about the same size as Wendell. If it turns out that he actually can play center and McDonald and/or Zusevics faceplant, Green might have a shot at the 53, but not much more than Haslam has.

Center -

AFAIK, McDonald is the only one who has practiced and had game experience snapping to Brady.

Rookies:

Tackle -

Chris McDonald (6042/300) 5.00/40, 31 reps, 28" vert, 9.00 long, 4.64 ssh, 7.57 3-cone
- Again, less than ideal length for tackle, but drill numbers almost identical to those that Mankins put up as a prospect (especially agility) and somewhat better than those of his brother, Nick. Coming out of the Big Ten, he also started 40 games at RG against Division-I competition. Some scouting reports touted him as being fairly instrumental in RB LeVeon Bell's success, while other claim that he didn't demonstrate NFL-level movement skills, especially in space. If the latter is merely training and technique, that's what Scar does, and McDonald certainly appears to have the athleticism to improve.

Elvis Fisher (6045/296) 5.13/40 (no other data)
- Fisher had 40 consecutive starts at LT for Missouri from 2008-10, but he's a couple years older than the other rookies, having been redshirted as a freshman, then blowing up his knee, sitting out 2011, and returning for 6th year in 2012 on a medical. He also missed some time in 2012 with another leg/knee issue and it's unclear why he skipped his ProDay drills. He also clearly needs to pack on some poundage. OTOH, he apparently has a scouting rep for being a very smart and mature player with good technique, so he may have a shot at something wth the Pats.

Guard -

Mostly, the two guys above, but perhaps also:

Josh Kline (6025/307) 5.06/40, 25 reps, 27" vert, 8.06 long, 4.59 ssh, 7.63 3-cone
- Seems kinda small but is atually a bit bigger than Wendell who did fairly well in spot duty at OG before becoming one of the league's best starting Centers. Kline also put up decent drill numbers and is reputed by some scouts to play with a notable nasty streak. He also has starting experience at right tackle in addition to both Guard spots.

Center -

Kline could also be right for Center and has shown far more athleticism in drills than:

Matt Stankiewitch (6026/302) 5.42/40, 27 reps, 24" vert, 7.08 long, 4.96 ssh, 7.90 3-cone
- Apparently performed pretty well under Bill O'Brien and, thus, has a year's starting experience with the Pats schemes and snap counts, and he also looked okay at the Shrine Game, but his lack of athleticism, in addition to his relatively small stature, might significantly restrict his versatility, which wouldn't help him at all with the Pats.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cannon overtake Connolly as our starting RG in camp. Bigger, more athletic, younger and could be a real force in the run game.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cannon overtake Connolly as our starting RG in camp. Bigger, more athletic, younger and could be a real force in the run game.

I wouldn't say that Cannon is significantly more athletic than Connolly. Bigger and stronger, sure. But Connolly is probably still a bit more agile and a better technician at the moment.

If Cannon makes a huge leap in technique this summer and/or if Connolly isn't quite fully recovered from his shoulder thing, Cannon would certainly start, at least to begin the season. The other factors affecting that would be Vollmer's health and Svitek's progress in getting with the program. Cannon has demonstrated that he can fill in at RT whereas Svitek hasn't yet and Connolly might not have the length to cover it as well.

I wouldn't say that Cannon is significantly more athletic than Connolly. Bigger and stronger, sure. But Connolly is probably still a bit more agile and a better technician at the moment.

If Cannon makes a huge leap in technique this summer and/or if Connolly isn't quite fully recovered from his shoulder thing, Cannon would certainly start, at least to begin the season. The other factors affecting that would be Vollmer's health and Svitek's progress in getting with the program. Cannon has demonstrated that he can fill in at RT whereas Svitek hasn't yet and Connolly might not have the length to cover it as well.

Pre Draft View: Height: 6'5"
Weight: 358lbs (down about 20 lbs from what he was supposedly playing at)
Arm Length: 34" (in that range scouts are looking for)

MEASURABLES (Official 2/27):

Let's start with the good stuff....

225lb Bench: 33 reps (Tied for 2nd most so far for All Positions)

40yd Time: 5.26 seconds (Tied for 12th OL)

10yd split on 40: 1.78 seconds (unofficial)

Broad Jump: 8'09" (Tied for 9th OL)

Vertical Jump: 30.5" (Tied for 8th OL)

Looks pretty quick in position drills. REALLY carries the weight well. He outweighs the 2nd heaviest guy by almost 30 lbs.

Now for the stuff that will make him a Guard instead of a Tackle at the next level...

3-Cone Drill: 8.07s (38th of 55 OL) However this was after they learned of his cancer before the Combine he had posted a 6.59 three cone time at TCU.

20-yard Shuttle: 4.97s (33rd of 55 OL)

While his lateral agility and forward burst is great, his size just won't let him plant and pivot like he'd have to on the edge.

Cannon is a big boy with sneaky athleticism that could develop into a starting right tackle at the next level. He shows good initial quickness and can really push around defenders once he gets his hands on them. He moves well enough to mirror defenders in pass protection and shows the ability to pursue moving targets in the second level on run plays. The biggest concern is his inability to consistently recognize blocking assignments and he gets beat far too often on stunts and blitzes. If he can improve his instincts and understanding of the game he could be a force and he will likely be a second day pick.
Cannon is a mammoth right tackle with quick feet for his size. Plays with wide base and good balance. Dominates opponents in the running game and uses his hands to lock out edge rushers in pass protection. Athletic enough to make blocks in the second level. Flashes a mean streak and finishes blocks.

Svitek, 6'6", 308 lbs, 31, most recently of the Falcons, was lost for the year in 2012 after a practice injury for the Falcons last preseason described as an "upper arm injury." He's known for his pass protection, and was projected to be the Falcons' backup left tackle behind Sam Baker in 2012. In 2011, Svitek actually started 10 games for the Falcons. And in 61 career games with the Falcons and Chiefs, has 16 career starts.

Svitek, while primarily a left tackle, also figures to be in the mix at right tackle as well. He's also occasionally lined up as an extra blocking tight end during his time with the Falcons. Svitek will also provide valuable insurance and depth at tackle should the Patriots lose free agent Sebastian Vollmer.He was challenging for the Right Tackle job in Falcons TC last season before his injury.

Pre Draft View: Height: 6'5"
Weight: 358lbs (down about 20 lbs from what he was supposedly playing at)
Arm Length: 34" (in that range scouts are looking for)

MEASURABLES (Official 2/27):

Let's start with the good stuff....

225lb Bench: 33 reps (Tied for 2nd most so far for All Positions)

40yd Time: 5.26 seconds (Tied for 12th OL)

10yd split on 40: 1.78 seconds (unofficial)

Broad Jump: 8'09" (Tied for 9th OL)

Vertical Jump: 30.5" (Tied for 8th OL)

Looks pretty quick in position drills. REALLY carries the weight well. He outweighs the 2nd heaviest guy by almost 30 lbs.

Now for the stuff that will make him a Guard instead of a Tackle at the next level...

3-Cone Drill: 8.07s (38th of 55 OL) However this was after they learned of his cancer before the Combine he had posted a 6.59 three cone time at TCU.

20-yard Shuttle: 4.97s (33rd of 55 OL)

While his lateral agility and forward burst is great, his size just won't let him plant and pivot like he'd have to on the edge.

Cannon is a big boy with sneaky athleticism that could develop into a starting right tackle at the next level. He shows good initial quickness and can really push around defenders once he gets his hands on them. He moves well enough to mirror defenders in pass protection and shows the ability to pursue moving targets in the second level on run plays. The biggest concern is his inability to consistently recognize blocking assignments and he gets beat far too often on stunts and blitzes. If he can improve his instincts and understanding of the game he could be a force and he will likely be a second day pick.
Cannon is a mammoth right tackle with quick feet for his size. Plays with wide base and good balance. Dominates opponents in the running game and uses his hands to lock out edge rushers in pass protection. Athletic enough to make blocks in the second level. Flashes a mean streak and finishes blocks.

Svitek, 6'6", 308 lbs, 31, most recently of the Falcons, was lost for the year in 2012 after a practice injury for the Falcons last preseason described as an "upper arm injury." He's known for his pass protection, and was projected to be the Falcons' backup left tackle behind Sam Baker in 2012. In 2011, Svitek actually started 10 games for the Falcons. And in 61 career games with the Falcons and Chiefs, has 16 career starts.

Svitek, while primarily a left tackle, also figures to be in the mix at right tackle as well. He's also occasionally lined up as an extra blocking tight end during his time with the Falcons. Svitek will also provide valuable insurance and depth at tackle should the Patriots lose free agent Sebastian Vollmer.He was challenging for the Right Tackle job in Falcons TC last season before his injury.

Yeah, I saw that bit about Svitek lining up as an extra blocking TE awhile back, but didn't remember to include it, so thanks for bringing it up. It actually could be a key point since Svitek would be able to take over that aspect from Solder and (I think) Connolly.

Cannon is certainly very athletic/agile for a guy his size (though not quite Vollmer level) and I didn't mean to imply that he was NOT so. I was just responding to the point that he's more athletic than Connolly. Connolly is still pretty strong, quick and nimble, though a smaller guy. Pound-for-pound, though, they're probably about even.

Yeah, I saw that bit about Svitek lining up as an extra blocking TE awhile back, but didn't remember to include it, so thanks for bringing it up. It actually could be a key point since Svitek would be able to take over that aspect from Solder and (I think) Connolly.

Cannon is certainly very athletic/agile for a guy his size (though not quite Vollmer level) and I didn't mean to imply that he was NOT so. I was just responding to the point that he's more athletic than Connolly. Connolly is still pretty strong, quick and nimble, though a smaller guy. Pound-for-pound, though, they're probably about even.

It is kind of hard to tell yet as Cannon is yet to play a season at full strength. I do think he would make an outstanding RG and I would love to see him pull.

Nice, thorough posts especially by MM. Good job.

I'd just like to mention that Marcus Cannon is one of those guys who tends to be overrated (imo) by Patriots fans because of his size and the fact he hasn't played much yet.

I've seen a lot of OLinemen come and go and I haven't seen much of anything in Cannon to get excited about. Every once in a while he gets an angle on a guy and wipes him out, or helps out as a blocking TE in a mismatch situation, but his pass blocking isn't even close to what we're going to need to see out of him before he beats anybody out. He also isn't nearly as powerful inline as his frame suggests he should be and doesn't anchor particularly well even against lighter players and just about everybody is lighter than him.

Connelly is a much more dependable player and I don't care what his drill times suggest, Cannon doesn't redirect well in live action and is forced to reach and grab to make up for mis-steps far too often.

I've seen Dante work miracles too many times to give up on the guy now, or suggest he is a lost cause. Ryan Wendell is perhaps the most notable example yet of a guy that looked like a bad-bodied career PS guy that was patiently molded into a solid starter, but as far as what he has actually shown on the field in a couple of years Cannon hasn't justified any buzz at all, imo. I definitely don't want him starting at tackle due to an injury anytime soon.

Wendell was the most improved player on the team last year, imo, and I don't think anybody was really close in that category. Where Scarnecchia is concerned, it seems anything is possible, but Cannon has a ways to go.

Back