OT: Boston Dirt Dogs

Are teams here in Boston, and us as Bostonians what do we do? Find something to complain about. This is a non-issue.

Patriots - Champions
Red Sox - Champions
BC Basketball - Undefeated
Celtics -First Place (unbelieveably)
Bruins - Undefeated ;)

And yet there are still complainers:

The Legend. The Myth. Boston, Massachusetts.

I'm a big Pats and Sox fan. A couple of years ago, the Red Sox were the clear cut favorite but since the Pats have been winning, I personally have the teams tied as my favorite teams. Both teams are so different in personality and attitude. I love both of them in different ways. And right now both of them are champions, nothing can be better than that.
:D o:) :thumb:

:patriots: :Redsox: :pat:

I've been a Pats fan since the late 60's.
I've been a Sox fan since '67 when I saw them get beat by the Cards. That really pissed me off... I was only 7 but it pissed me off.

kez said:
Bottom line: this is not a baseball town. The only people who think it is are baseball fans, baseball writers and the Globe. All the measurable stats we have at our disposal fail to support this claim. Football is America's undisputed No. 1 sport. And that certainly holds true in Boston, too. [/B]

I agree with this, Boston is a SPORTS town - not a baseball town. The Patriots have sold out every game for 10 years, there is a 50,000 person waiting list for season tickets, and TV ratings are through the roof- the Patriots are one of the better supported teams in the league.

Kevin Paul Dupont (Globe) wrote an article the other day about Boston being a baseball town, what a lazy premise for an article.
I'm sure his bosses were happy when they read it.

kez said:
All I say is look at the ratings. Interest in the Red Sox is not very high, except maybe when they play the Yankees.

Interest in the Red Sox is not very high? That's laughable. The Red Sox have some of the best ratings in baseball (and their postgame show ratings destroy other team's games). Remember, football is played on Sunday afternoons. Who has plans on Sunday afternoons? Compare that to baseball: Every night there is a game on, save for the All-Star break. You have to be a pretty die-hard fan to watch every game, where you can be a casual football fan and watch every Pats game.

It's still a baseball town.

EDIT: OK, after thinking about it more, Boston may be a Football town (maybe), but it's still more of Red Sox town than it is a Patriot town, if that makes any sense.

Matt37 said:
Interest in the Red Sox is not very high? That's laughable. The Red Sox have some of the best ratings in baseball (and their postgame show ratings destroy other team's games). Remember, football is played on Sunday afternoons. Who has plans on Sunday afternoons? Compare that to baseball: Every night there is a game on, save for the All-Star break. You have to be a pretty die-hard fan to watch every game, where you can be a casual football fan and watch every Pats game.

It's still a baseball town.

Matt37 - just because you say it is a "baseball" town doesn't mean it is.

I honestly can't stand the condescending fools in the media (Shaugnessy, KP Dupont etc.) that talk of Boston being a "baseball town". Boston is a sports town- I am a die-hard Red Sox fan but I am insulted when people label Boston only a baseball town.

What more do Pats fans have to do? The stadium is sold out with 50,000 people on a waiting list, and the TV ratings are huge. The Red Sox are obviously strongly supported as well, but look back even to '97 and '98 and the Red Sox weren't consistently selling out the smallest stadium in baseball. I think some traditional baseball fans are almost intimidated by the success of the Patriots, they have to follow up every comment about the Pats by saying "but this is a baseball town".

Pats247 said:
Matt37 - just because you say it is a "baseball" town doesn't mean it is.

I honestly can't stand the condescending fools in the media (Shaugnessy, KP Dupont etc.) that talk of Boston being a "baseball town". Boston is a sports town- I am a die-hard Red Sox fan but I am insulted when people label Boston only a baseball town.

What more do Pats fans have to do? The stadium is sold out with 50,000 people on a waiting list, and the TV ratings are huge. The Red Sox are obviously strongly supported as well, but look back even to '97 and '98 and the Red Sox weren't consistently selling out the smallest stadium in baseball. I think some traditional baseball fans are almost intimidated by the success of the Patriots, they have to follow up every comment about the Pats by saying "but this is a baseball town".

Selling out a stadium in football is a lot easier than selling out a stadium in baseball. That's a fact, due to the fact that there are 10x as many baseball games to go than football games.

I think there have been only a handful of teams in baseball to sell out for an entire year (Cleveland mid-90's comes to mind), whereas even bad teams in football sell out stadiums.

As for the support, there is little on TV or the radio or newspaper about the Pats before and after the Draft and they are hardly mentioned until July. Whereas the Sox are constantly in demand (A-Rod trade last year, being a good example) when their season is finished.

As for the ratings, if the Pats were on 162 times a year, I doubt their ratings would stay as high as they are. Sure, America loves football, but to say the Patriots have taken over Boston is wrong. The Pats have been popular for the last 4 years, the Sox have been popular much longer.

Just because the Pats win a lot :) doesn't mean Boston is a football town. The Sox hadn't won in 80 years and yet it was still a baseball town.

I dig the dirt dogs. He's like the Drudge of the Boston sports scene. Yeah he gets stuff wrong, but come on, it's sports. It's all in fun.

Don't take everything there so seriously either. I can understand yor gripes though.

Matt37 said:
Selling out a stadium in football is a lot easier than selling out a stadium in baseball. That's a fact, due to the fact that there are 10x as many baseball games to go than football games.

I think there have been only a handful of teams in baseball to sell out for an entire year (Cleveland mid-90's comes to mind), whereas even bad teams in football sell out stadiums.

As for the support, there is little on TV or the radio or newspaper about the Pats before and after the Draft and they are hardly mentioned until July. Whereas the Sox are constantly in demand (A-Rod trade last year, being a good example) when their season is finished.

As for the ratings, if the Pats were on 162 times a year, I doubt their ratings would stay as high as they are. Sure, America loves football, but to say the Patriots have taken over Boston is wrong. The Pats have been popular for the last 4 years, the Sox have been popular much longer.

Just because the Pats win a lot :) doesn't mean Boston is a football town. The Sox hadn't won in 80 years and yet it was still a baseball town.

The Sox have been a fairly competitive team since '67, yet prior to that you could have hit a golf ball into the Fenway bleachers and probably wouldn't have hit anyone. I don't have the figures, but historians routinely say that there was 10 or 12 thousand people at the average Sox game (when they were lousy).

The Patriots were a franchise that was beset with bad stadiums, bad ownership, bad coaching and bad performance (excluding a few years in the mid 70's and mid 80's). The team was lucky to get the support that it did prior to '93. That said, when a dedicated owner bought the team and delivered a professional product, the fan support has been overwhelming.

I don't think that the Patriots "took over the town", however I do think calling Boston simply a "baseball town" and not a sports town is foolish considering all of the evidence to the contrary

Pats247 said:
That said, when a dedicated owner bought the team and delivered a professional product, the fan support has been overwhelming.

The Patriots and Sox are in the same boat there. With new owners, both teams have soared.

kez said:
Ratings for the Red Sox are a joke -- as it is for baseball everywhere.

The Patriots have had regular season games that drew more viewers than almost every Red Sox playoff game in history. Early this season the Patriots vs. Arizona (a lousy team) drew a rating that was triple that of any Red Sox game this year, and better than that of several Red Sox postseason games.

And, yes, I know 3 million people showed up at the sox parade. But it was a great historical moment for American sports and for a team that had not won a world series in 86 years. The history had as much to do with it as the region's love affair with the Red Sox. Plus, the parade was held on a Saturday across a course that stretched several miles.

You forgot to mention that the Sox games are on cable, unlike the Pats. And before 2001, NESN was not free.

RE: the parade, remember, there was no rally because people feared that there would be too many Sox fans there. So basically, 3.2 Million people showed up to see their favorite players for no more than 7 or 8 minutes.

Its a baseball town in the summer....football town in the winter..thats all i can say. How can the Pats be on the back burner to the Sox when no Sox headlines as dominated the news recently

ENFORCER said:
Its a baseball town in the summer....football town in the winter..thats all i can say. How can the Pats be on the back burner to the Sox when no Sox headlines as dominated the news recently

Bingo. Last year was different..All winter it was all Sox...This town has grown much more into the Pats recently. I know for sure in June and July I am busy watching the Sox moreso then worrying about the Pats. But come football season, it aint even close. Pats all the way. Baseball I love...Football is my blood.

the guy who runs the dirt dog site used to post on some html sox boards such as the projo site, sons of sam horn, and the royal rooters. he PO'd a lot of people and was banned from SOSH due to his abrasive personality. i personally had a few run ins with him, don' t like him, and never visit his site.

Back