Pats Rookie Signings

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Pats, Ohrnberger come to terms:

http://nwe.scout.com/2/871691.html
The New England Patriots have agreed to contract terms with fourth-round pick (no. 23 in the round/#123 overall) OL Rich Ohrnberger, a league source told Scout.com. It's a four-year deal worth roughly $2.20 million. The deal includes a $451,000 signing bonus.

Thats a 2009 cap hit of 422.750 $. About what was to expect.

I think the Patriots will be around 4 million under the cap when all rookies are signed (unless they cut a better paid veteran of course).

Great draft

This just shows how deep we are going to be this year and years to come. This kid is given a four year deal which shows how much BB has already seen in him. Great draft

:confused:

Don't the vast majority of 4th rounders sign 4 year deals?
All 2nd-rounders and later picks get 4-year deals from the Pats. In fact, they've pretty much been force-feeding their draft picks max length contracts since 2003.

Most teams go the 4-year route these days for their 2nd-round+ picks. Their are a few holdouts that still go the 3-year route (Arizona, Baltimore, Detroit, Kansas City, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis) (source), but to my understanding the length of these original contracts is something non-negotiable to almost every team for the Day Two guys.

For reasons why some teams go with 3-year deals with their rookies vs. 4-years, click the link above.

http://patsblog.projo.com/2009/07/butler-pats-agr.html

Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Patriots' second-round draft pick Darius Butler, has announced that the team and the former UConn cornerback have agreed to contract terms. Rosenhaus wrote that it is a four-year deal, which is the maximum length second-rounders can sign for.
The Patriots confirmed the deal via their own Twitter page moments later.
Butler, the 41st overall pick, becomes the second of New England's 12 draft pick to agree to terms; offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger was the first.

Back