Pats sign two Linebackers

ladypatsfan

Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Pats sign 2
The Patriots have signed two veteran linebackers today -- Barry Gardner (6-1, 245) and Jeremy Loyd (6-2, 235). Gardner is an eight-year veteran who most recently played for the Jets. Loyd, a three-year veteran, most recently spent time with the Rams.

A bit more on these signings to come..

Never heard of them. :confused:

Me neither. Probably training camp fodder, that's all.

Curran weighs in on the two new Patriot linebackers:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060509_09pats2.1292b3b3.html
The 29-year-old Gardner is a high-energy guy who plays smart and with passion. But he hasn't distinguished himself in seven seasons with the Eagles (35th overall pick in 1999), Browns or Jets (his 2005 team) as a front-line player. At 6-foot-1 and 245 pounds, he has good quickness but mediocre overall speed and is a coverage liability. In recent years, he has been most valuable as a special-teams player.

The chance does exist that he'll warm to New England's 3-4 scheme, however. Currently, the Pats' inside linebackers by trade are Tedy Bruschi and Monty Beisel , with only second-year man Ryan Claridge backing them up. Gardner could press Beisel for time if he shows well in the coming months.

Last year with the Jets, Gardner played In 16 games and started one. He had three tackles in the regular defense for New York.

As for Loyd, he didn't make a tackle in the regular defense for the Rams in two seasons with them. The 25-year-old Iowa State product is a special-teams add-on, through and through.

--------------------------------------------

Gardner seems like a possible replacement for Chatham on the ST units. Loyd?? :shrug:

From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2438586

Seeking to add more veteran depth at linebacker, and to enhance their special teams units, the New England Patriots have signed veterans Barry Gardner and Jeremy Loyd to undisclosed contracts.

A seven-year veteran and former second-round draft choice, Gardner is the more notable of the pair and, given his experience and the Patriots' lack of depth at the inside linebacker spot, probably has the better chance to contribute from scrimmage. Gardner, 29, has appeared in 110 games in seven seasons and has missed only two contests because of injury.

The former Northwestern standout played for the New York Jets in 2005, appearing in 16 games with one start, and registered four tackles.

In his career, Gardner has 271 tackles, two sacks, one interception, six passes defensed, five forced fumbles and three recoveries. His best season was in 2000, with the Philadelphia Eagles, when he had 60 tackles. The Eagles chose Gardner, who has made 24 starts, in the second round of the 1999 draft.

Gardner has played every linebacker position during his NFL career and that versatility is one element that attracted New England officials. He is probably best suited, in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme, to one of the inside linebacker slots, where the team can use more experience.

Another component of Gardner's game that the Patriots like is his solid play on special teams coverage units. In stints with the Eagles (1999-2002), Cleveland (2003-2004) and Jets (2005), Gardner has 92 special teams tackles. He was released by the Jets earlier this spring.

Loyd, 25, almost certainly will have to make the New England roster on his special teams prowess. A three-year veteran, he has spent portions of three seasons on the St. Louis Rams roster, and spent all of 2004 on injured reserve. The former Iowa State standout has appeared in 14 games.

New England lost linebackers Willie McGinest (Browns) and Matt Chatham (Jets) in free agency and released Chad Brown. The departure of Chatham, a six-year veteran who joined former New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini in New York, was seen as a blow to the special teams.
===========================

My favorite part:
Gardner has played every linebacker position during his NFL career and that versatility is one element that attracted New England officials.

My second favorite part:
The departure of Chatham, a six-year veteran who joined former New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini in New York, was seen as a blow to the special teams.

I wasn't too impressed with the way our special teams performed last year, so Chatham's leaving wasn't much of a blow IMO. If it had been Izzo....

From Reiss Pieces:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/05/linebacker_deal.html

Linebacker deals

The contracts that linebackers Barry Gardner and Jeremy Loyd signed with the Patriots are both one-year deals, according to figures filed with the NFL Players Association.

Gardner's contract is for $710,000, the veteran minimum for a player with eight credited seasons. He didn't receive a signing bonus.

Loyd's deal is for $425,000 and doesn't include a signing bonus.

Should either player make the team's final roster, they would each count $431,160 on the salary cap.

Reiss provides a little insight on Barry Gardner, the Patriots most recent veteran LB addition:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/05/just_get_it_don.html
FOXBOROUGH -- Even before he signed a one-year contract with the Patriots on May 8, linebacker Barry Gardner felt a certain urgency at Gillette Stadium.

Now having spent three weeks in the Patriots' offseason program, Gardner's first impressions have only been reinforced.

“No wasted time. No wasted energy. It is what it is. Go out and get it done,” the 29-year-old Gardner said of the team's approach.

“From the time they worked me out, you can tell the kind of tempo and mindset that the coaches and front-office people have, and the reason they’re winning around here. It’s direct, to the point, matter of fact. Nothing extra. Just get it done.”

Gardner, who entered the NFL as a second-round pick out of Northwestern in 1999, has played for the Eagles (1999-2003), Browns (2004) and Jets (2005). His primary contributions have come on special teams in recent years, although he’s been spending extra time in inside linebackers meetings, the position in which he’ll line up if called upon on defense.

Gardner (6-foot-1, 245 pounds) prides himself on intelligence, versatility and an always-ready-to-play approach.

“I’ve always prepared as if I’m going to be that guy on Sunday that is going out there to play. Just like Tedy Bruschi would prepare for a game, that’s how I’m going to prepare for it, because you never know what’s going to happen,” he said. “I think I can get out there and play defensively, as well as special teams. When it’s time to go out there and play -- whether it’s defense or special teams -- I’m going to be ready.”

As a member of the Jets last year, getting ready to face the Patriots was always a challenge. It all started with defending Tom Brady.

“Tom is a smart player who is not going to make many mistakes. He’s one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game,” Gardner said. “He has a great core group of guys who understand their responsibilities, one another, and how to play with one another. So when preparing for New England, you know you have to be on top of your game.

“From my years playing these guys, they don’t do a ton of things or throw a whole bunch at you, they just do a few things always the right way. And they have a smart quarterback who knows exactly what to do once he sees what the defense is running.”

While Gardner is pleased he won’t have to defend Brady and Co., he has his hands full with another challenge: this is his first experience working in a 3-4 defense. He said the Jets introduced a little bit of the 3-4 last season, although their primary alignment was the 4-3, and Gardner backed up each spot.

“It’s another step in my career,” he said. “This is a system that a lot of teams are going to. It’s been very productive, and very effective in the league. It’s been a great learning experience and I’m excited to be a part of it and see exactly how I fit.”

----------------------------------------------

"First experience working in a 3-4." Translation: break glass only in the case of emergency LB needed.

Back