Patsies set amount willing to spend on Mangini

gaylord

Reaction score
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/10850251.htm

A bidding war could be in the offing for New England Patriots secondary coach Eric Mangini, who began his NFL career as a defensive assistant with the Browns in 1995. His contract expired Sunday, and the Browns could be one of four teams - along with the Patriots, the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers - interested in Mangini. New England has reportedly set a $750,000 cap on what it is willing to spend for Mangini.

So it looks like if money is the main factor in Mangini signing with any team, Miami would have the edge. However I have been reading some other articles and it seems that he is very loyal to Bellichick and might remain with them no matter what the Fins or the Browns offer.

No one's really sure what's happening because none of the parties are talking. Any article mentioning assistant salaries is pure speculation.

Mangini has a couple of incentives to stay with the Pats for less money. First is his loyalty to Belichick as well as his familiarity with the players and scheme. He already turned down a generous offer last year to take over as the Raider's DC. Second, I'm sure he has aspirations of being a HC in the future. His chances are higher with a successful team. The chance of a quick turn around in the other cities is low. Staying here, he can keep the D at a high level and get more notice.

My guess is that unless he's completely overwhelmed with an offer, he'll be staying here.

bideau said:
My guess is that unless he's completely overwhelmed with an offer, he'll be staying here.

That was my guess, but with Pepper Johnson both under contract and very able, I'd guess that they won't go overboard to keep him.

Interestingly enough, the AP is reporting that Crennel is apparantly making a big push to snatch him up:

Patriots defensive backs coach Eric Mangini is the leading candidate to run Cleveland's defense, but the club may have to outbid New England for the 34-year-old's services.
http://tinyurl.com/3jafu

Never underestimate the power of money. IF NE offered him 750k which would seem high for them and Miami gave him 1 - 1.5/yr which isn't out of the question; that's alot of money to say no to. At NE he will be compared to Crennel - nowhere to go up really. He either inherited a great system or he wasn't as good depending on how they do. At Miami or Cleveland he has alot of room for improvement. If he wanted to be a head coach I think continued success in NE lables him a product of BB's system. Success in Miami or Cleveland labels him an up and coming. The next question is would you have a better ability to have success in Cleveland or Miami. C'mon - Cleveland is hurting and has been for awhile. BUT is he really Saban's choice? Haven't heard a word that he is.

I would argue that if he goes to Miami or Cleveland, his odds of success for 1-2 years are slim, based on the offenses being weak. This makes the defenses play longer and longer, and will affect the defenses stamina (and stats). Then who gets the blame-not Saban or Crennel, who have long term deals. Unless he gets a 3 year deal minimum, I think he stays. Even then I think the odds are no better than 50-50 he leaves.

gaylord said:
Never underestimate the power of money. IF NE offered him 750k which would seem high for them and Miami gave him 1 - 1.5/yr which isn't out of the question; that's alot of money to say no to. At NE he will be compared to Crennel - nowhere to go up really. He either inherited a great system or he wasn't as good depending on how they do. At Miami or Cleveland he has alot of room for improvement. If he wanted to be a head coach I think continued success in NE lables him a product of BB's system. Success in Miami or Cleveland labels him an up and coming. The next question is would you have a better ability to have success in Cleveland or Miami. C'mon - Cleveland is hurting and has been for awhile. BUT is he really Saban's choice? Haven't heard a word that he is.

Saban has been raising eyebrows around the league with the salaries he's been giving out to his staff. I believe he paid a positional assistant close to $1M. That blows the current league structure out of the water. The question is, will the rest of the league feel they have to follow suit.

The current top end for coordinators is $1M, with the majority around $750K. If Saban elevates that to $1.5M, Mangini would be hard pressed to turn that down. But as I said before, he already turned down nearly $1M to stay in NE last year. That would imply that he covets the DC position under BB.

I don't think being a product of the BB system is a bad mark. BB is developing a coaching tree similar to the 49'ers Walsh and the Cowboy's Johnson. Other owners want to capture some of the magic by taking an assistant of their staff. Mangini is only 34 years old. A few successful years under BB will make him a very attractive HC candidate. Struggling under Crennel or Saban may label him in a negative light.

Either way, the decision will be made within the next couple of days. The Pats also have a good chance of losing Dan Pees and Pepper Johnson. Those three are likely to be the DC's of NE, Miami and Cleveland.

Back