Props to Pats O-Line

Thumper

Charger Power
Reaction score
Website
www.bolttalk.net
Your O-Line did a great job against San Diego. It got loud in there and I don't think you had a single false start. Your O-Line (for the most part) picked up their assignments and made the right adjustments.

I could say we did this or that wrong, but your O-Line really stepped up their play and that was one of the keys to your victory.

The O-Lne is not a postions that you get a lott of props, but a good O-Lne is pivital for success. Yours really stepped it up.

It seems strange to me that the Pats would be the first team to stick a lineman (Matt Light) onto Merriman rather than having a fullback or tight-end try to block that sonofagun.

Was the side switch from trying to get away from the Light side (heh. heh.) or was it in reaction to some injury to one of Merriman's wheels causing him to want to edge rush from the other side?

Didn't seem to help, whatever the reason was.

Thumper on 01-15-2007 at 12:11 PM said:
Your O-Line did a great job against San Diego. It got loud in there and I don't think you had a single false start. Your O-Line (for the most part) picked up their assignments and made the right adjustments.

I could say we did this or that wrong, but your O-Line really stepped up their play and that was one of the keys to your victory.

The O-Lne is not a postions that you get a lott of props, but a good O-Lne is pivital for success. Yours really stepped it up.

It sure seemed like a solid job from start to finish but I'll leave the analysis to the resident coaches who I've been reading while lurking for a little bit now.

There was (at least) one false start on Mankins, who I believe accounted for all penalties assessed to the O-line (3 total I believe).

BTW, was anybody else wondering why on 3rd and long, when Merriman "slipped" off-sides, Koppen didn't snap the ball to get 5 extra yards? He was looking right at him. I believe it was 3rd and 13(?). It's just that I would think 3rd and 8 would open up the play-caling opportunites there.

Chance: Merriman moves around like Jason Taylor does, side switches are standard.

FT: Koppen didn't snap it because Brady wasn't ready for it and a fumble was the likely result (and no guarantee of a yeller hanky) - not to mention the backfield motion situation may have caused the Pats to have a penalty which would offset the offsides.

Box_O_Rocks on 01-15-2007 at 06:35 PM said:

FT: Koppen didn't snap it because Brady wasn't ready for it and a fumble was the likely result (and no guarantee of a yeller hanky) - not to mention the backfield motion situation may have caused the Pats to have a penalty which would offset the offsides.

For some really idiotic reason, I didn't Tivo the game but I don't remember anyone in-motion while Merriman was doing his other dance so I'll take your word for it.

I just distinctly remember seeing the play, screaming "SNAP THE BALL!!!" seemingly loud enough for Koppen to hear from the East Coast.

I do agree that you can't rely on the ref's to do their job--I just had a knee-jerk reaction to it. The good thing is, it doesn't matter in the slightest--on to Indy!!

Looking forward to more X's and O's talk and analysis in the stickied thread from you, AllWorldTE, dchester and the rest of the "coaches" though. BTW, anybody ever watch NFL Matchup? It's a fantastic show for all interested in watching Jaws/Hodge break down some film--very insightful IMO.

:pat:

agreed ive never seen anyone man handle that charger d-line like that. The raiders did it similar once in the second game againt SD. here is what we did to that fat bastard jamaml williams

Fully Tilted on 01-16-2007 at 12:25 AM said:
For some really idiotic reason, I didn't Tivo the game but I don't remember anyone in-motion while Merriman was doing his other dance so I'll take your word for it.

I just distinctly remember seeing the play, screaming "SNAP THE BALL!!!" seemingly loud enough for Koppen to hear from the East Coast.

I do agree that you can't rely on the ref's to do their job--I just had a knee-jerk reaction to it. The good thing is, it doesn't matter in the slightest--on to Indy!!

Looking forward to more X's and O's talk and analysis in the stickied thread from you, AllWorldTE, dchester and the rest of the "coaches" though. BTW, anybody ever watch NFL Matchup? It's a fantastic show for all interested in watching Jaws/Hodge break down some film--very insightful IMO.

:pat:
For what it's worth, I was also looking for Koppen to snap it, then just shrugged and snickered at how useless Merri looked after the ball was snapped. I'd have yelled at Koppen, but I'm too slow to get away if he heard me.

I agree with the Charger fan that the Pat's offensive line did pretty well, considering all the passing, and boy wasn't it obvious pretty early that it would be all passing!

I saw alot of great pressure by the Chargers defense, but somehow or another they didn't sack Brady much, although he was definitely effected by the pressure sometimes. As a Patriots fan who has seen many a year where our defense doesn't quite get to the opponent qb, I must say it is the most frustrating thing.

Thumper on 01-15-2007 at 12:11 PM said:

Mankins was the only terrible blunder boy with three penalties. I'm shocked Matt Life played like he used to be capable of. I thought Matt had a horrible year.

Re: Re: Props to Pats O-Line

patswinagain on 01-16-2007 at 10:01 AM said:
Mankins was the only terrible blunder boy with three penalties. I'm shocked Matt Life played like he used to be capable of. I thought Matt had a horrible year.

The holding call on Mankins was BS. The pass interference wasn't his fault as it was a screen an SD tackled Kevin Faulk.

Mankins had an awesome block on Derrick Robinson that put Faulk in the EZ on the 2pt conversion. He picked him off his feet and drove him back into the ground. Amazing block.

R

Back