Software Update out of nowhere for my Android phone?

Peachhead

Bite me!
Reaction score
I've searched all over the internet for an answer to this and come up empty. So I figured I'd run it by you fine folks.

I have an off-brand Android based phone (through Tracfone). I've had it for a few years and this has never happened before. Today, out of the blue, I've got a notification on the phone that says "Software Update" "A software update is available to install. Calls, including 911, will not be avaiable during the install process." I also got a text that said "Your phone requires 1 or more software updates.When you receive a notification, please sign on to Wi-Fi and click 'Install' to proceed with this secure update."

Is this legit? Do I have an Android virus on my phone? Is someone trying to give me one? I can't swipe away the notificarion. I didn't visit the App Store or ask for any updates from anywhere. Nor was I anywhere on the internet when this happened. In fact I rarely use the phone to view anything on the 'net.

I've gotten similar things on my work flip phone (don't ask).

Those were Verizon upgrades, so you might have something similar from whomever your service provider is.

Back