The Officious Offseason Time Thread !

chef

4th Dimensional Guitar Hero
Reaction score
Time to move on and look to next year.
What the chance of either Woodley or much better yet Tamba Hali hitting the open market.
It's unlikely KC even let him near it, but just imagine what he could do...

I'd love both.

NA won't be here, but as long as he's not a Jet next year.

Forget about Hali and Woodley, those guys are staying put.

We need to replace Koppen desperately. He can't handle a good DT and it kills us when a three-man rush can get to Brady because the DT just bulldozes through our center.

Upgrade the safety position. Chung is fine, but the other side is close to awful. Neither Merriweather nor Sanders can play against bigger receivers like Braylon Edwards going across the middle. Also Merriweather is always looking for the big hit, which translates into him being out of position 50% of the time and getting juked out of his shoes the other 50%.

Speed at the ILB spot. I know everyone will be craving a pass-rushing OLB, but to me a fast ILB is the bigger priority. We got killed on short passes into the middle in front of the linebackers this year because the receiver could just sprint away from them no problem. They could never keep up (just watch Spikes trying to catch up with Cotchery last night... it was sad).

Everything else is fine.

We need to replace Koppen desperately. He can't handle a good DT and it kills us when a three-man rush can get to Brady because the DT just bulldozes through our center.

Upgrade the safety position. Chung is fine, but the other side is close to awful. Neither Merriweather nor Sanders can play against bigger receivers like Braylon Edwards going across the middle. Also Merriweather is always looking for the big hit, which translates into him being out of position 50% of the time and getting juked out of his shoes the other 50%.

Speed at the ILB spot. I know everyone will be craving a pass-rushing OLB, but to me a fast ILB is the bigger priority. We got killed on short passes into the middle in front of the linebackers this year because the receiver could just sprint away from them no problem. They could never keep up (just watch Spikes trying to catch up with Cotchery last night... it was sad).

Everything else is fine.

Spikes may have been slower than Rex...

Everything else is fine.

I got killed last week when I posted concern about Spikes' speed. But I agree with you that he is indeed as slow as his 40 time indicated.

I look forward to Bruschi's take on the loss. Prior to the game he emphasized our young defense and young offensive TE's not appreciating how much the game changed in playoffs. He wasn't sure they would be up to the task. Prophetic. They know now!

Guyton is speed. With him and Mayo thats a quick couple. The player i love most though, is Dane Fletch. The man will be a beast and he has showed much of the strength you'd expect from a former end, but he is quick, he may not react as well, but he is definitely quicker than Spikes.

One player worth a look as a transition when he hits the market, Ray Edwards. Great size, good speed and agility apparently, can definitely rush the passer. The questions are whether he can play in space, and the money

Guyton is speed. With him and Mayo thats a quick couple. The player i love most though, is Dane Fletch. The man will be a beast and he has showed much of the strength you'd expect from a former end, but he is quick, he may not react as well, but he is definitely quicker than Spikes.

One player worth a look as a transition when he hits the market, Ray Edwards. Great size, good speed and agility apparently, can definitely rush the passer. The questions are whether he can play in space, and the money

Guyton is quick but not good enough to be in on every play. We need a fast ILB that can actually be out there on a regular basis and be able to keep up with TEs, WRs, and quick RBs cutting through the middle of the field. These days that's such a huge part of an offense that having an ILB that can keep up with receivers catching the ball in front of them is crucial.

Mayo is not very fast at all. There have been many, many times this season when he has gotten burned by WRs and faster TEs catching the ball in front of him and then running away from him for 5-6 yards and a first down. We can't have that.

We desperately need an upgrade over Merriweather/Sanders at the safety spot though. Those two are infuriating. One of them is terribly inconsistent, misses tackles, and is often out of position. The other one is more consistent but not good enough overall. Against the Ravens last year Merriweather was single-handedly responsible for the TD run by Ray Rice that pretty much took the game out of our hands. Against the Jets too he was nowhere near up to snuff. That has to be fixed.

Guyton is quick but not good enough to be in on every play. We need a fast ILB that can actually be out there on a regular basis and be able to keep up with TEs, WRs, and quick RBs cutting through the middle of the field. These days that's such a huge part of an offense that having an ILB that can keep up with receivers catching the ball in front of them is crucial.

Mayo is not very fast at all. There have been many, many times this season when he has gotten burned by WRs and faster TEs catching the ball in front of him and then running away from him for 5-6 yards and a first down. We can't have that.

We desperately need an upgrade over Merriweather/Sanders at the safety spot though. Those two are infuriating. One of them is terribly inconsistent, misses tackles, and is often out of position. The other one is more consistent but not good enough overall. Against the Ravens last year Merriweather was single-handedly responsible for the TD run by Ray Rice that pretty much took the game out of our hands. Against the Jets too he was nowhere near up to snuff. That has to be fixed.

A young two-time probowl safety, he has value, and i expect Merriweather to be traded if there is interest. I think with our 4 MLBs + McGowan next season who can play that rover role, to me, that isn't a massive need, not when compared to OLB (unless Ninko does a Vrabel, he's not much more than a stopgap) FS and an real good end.

Back