Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

PigSkinner

Reaction score
Nice game by the Giants yesterday. Good Job!

That being said...here's where I think the Pats blew it:

1. Ellis Hobbs: dude has been a disaster waiting to happen all season. As a defender he absolutely sucks. The problem is he thinks and acts like he is better than he really is. Let him return punts and kicks (maybe) but next year he cannot be playing in the secondary for the Pats. Anyone who has watched the Pats all year knows that he is a HUGE liability in the secondary. The Giants know this and went right at him when the game was on the line. Hell, Troy Brown would have been better than Hobbs.

2. Offensive Game Plan: For the past 5-6 games the offense has not had a rhythm to it. Brady and Gang are at their best when they are in the no huddle offense. Josh has had a giant brain fart for too many games now and Belichcik has not stepped in and adjusted.

3. Who the hell is the defensive secondary coach??? It has killed me all season long to see the other team's wide receivers line up at the line of scrimmage and the defensive back/linebackers are RARELY is ever within 10 yards of them. WTF??? Even in the red zone they are giving the other team a free shot at picking up a first down at any time. The Giants and most other teams in the second half of the season knew how to exploit this.

4. Inconsistent blitzing by the Pats defense. They can play better than they have most of the time. No pressure on the opposing QB leads to the weak Pats secondary being killed (see #1 above). When the D-line of the Pats pressures the QB the weak Pats secondary looks good, otherwise they are exposed for the weak link that they are. This off season the Pats need to over haul their secondary.

Congrats to the Giants, and hopefully the Pats learned a lesson.....

If Samuels catches that ball on the last drive, this conversion doesn't take place, that is my contribution to the shoulda part.

I do agree with the no huddle thing, I kept waiting for it...and waiting for it.

Burress should have been doubled...I had no doubt that the fade was going to be thrown to him.

player on 02-04-2008 at 09:25 AM said:
Burress should have been doubled...I had no doubt that the fade was going to be thrown to him.

They blitzed, there wasn't any other guys to help, they just needed to get to Manning quicker than they did.

Leaving 1 guy on Burress was a huge mistake in the red zone. Huge.
That being said, that last drive there was 3 or 4 times it could have been intercepted, the no call on the holding during Eli's miracle throw.
And on our last drive, they should have done everything possible to keep the clock running.
Lets be honesty it was a close close game.

They had Eli down, and he threw to a guy who caught the ball with his helmet.... shoulda pulled him down.... shoulda knocked that ball loose... agree.. there's a list of blown opportunities. I can only imagine how sick the Pats players must be over this one this morning.

This rainy week suits the ******* mood.

I was happy to see The Patriots offense march down the field to take the lead late in the game. Brady has lead it 29 times and in 4 super bowls. Only saddened to see Eli and the Giants offense step up to take this game on the grandest stage. It was a miracle drive with a lot of heart.

You can't fault the officials in the game. But for the record they sucked.

One play I will never forget and it may fall into the "Shoulda, woulda, coulda"

4th and 13........4th and 13.......Not a regular season game, and it's indoors, why not try the 3?

backofthepack* on 02-04-2008 at 09:13 AM said:
If Samuels catches that ball on the last drive, this conversion doesn't take place, that is my contribution to the shoulda part.

I do agree with the no huddle thing, I kept waiting for it...and waiting for it.

There are a number of plays that, IF THEY HAPPENED, we would not be having this conversation. You're right about the Samuel catch. Don't forget that Harrison and Meriweather both had dropped interceptions on that last drive as well. Also, how did they not sack Eli Manning on that one play where he through it over the middle to Tyree? After Tyree made that improbable catch holding the ball on his helmet, I kinda knew the game was for the Giants last night. Anytime I come on this board warning that we shouldn't be so overconfident, I get blasted. I guess that finally, and unfortunately, I was right this time.

Back