2012: The year of D22+

Oh I thought all the idiots had already come to terms with that stupid thing when the pats offensive numbers went through the roof even though the camera's were gone...I guess some people who live in caves did not get the message...

Oh I thought all the idiots had already come to terms with that stupid thing when the pats offensive numbers went through the roof even though the camera's were gone...I guess some people who live in caves did not get the message...

Guess you didn't hear me, Tom Brady's c0ck must still be blocking your hearing.

Guess you didn't hear me, Tom Brady's c0ck must still be blocking your hearing.

I did not know you were close enough to me for me to hear anything from you. Anyway, I just assumed all the real idiots had kinda been so upset when Brady actually got better after spygate that it kinda told at least people smart enough to tie their own shoes that it really did nothing to help their offense...

I did not know you were close enough to me for me to hear anything from you. Anyway, I just assumed all the real idiots had kinda been so upset when Brady actually got better after spygate that it kinda told at least people smart enough to tie their own shoes that it really did nothing to help their offense...

how many super bowls has brady won since spygate?

how many super bowls has brady won since spygate?

How many has 27 other teams won since spygate? You do know that teams do not win the superbowl every year, and offense has not been the issue on why they have not won....I mean you did know that spygate was supposed to help the offense....right?

How many has 27 other teams won since spygate? You do know that teams do not win the superbowl every year, and offense has not been the issue on why they have not won....I mean you did know that spygate was supposed to help the offense....right?

Middie, he's a ****ing moron. Don't play his game.

I don't....

His lame-ass protege dawson is pretty much useless as a substitute.

excuses are like assholes.....of course you are familiar with them since your nose it up Tommy Terrifics all the time.

New Year, but same old result: Cleveland Browns fall to Pittsburgh Steelers, 13-9, in season finale

Published: Sunday, January 01, 2012, 7:25 PM Updated: Monday, January 02, 2012, 7:59 AM

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
Follow

Share Email Print

10403628-large.jpg
View full sizeJohn ****z, The Plain DealerGreg Little and Jordan Cameron are swallowed up by the Pittsburgh secondary on the final pass of the Browns' 2011 season Sunday. The Hail Mary pass from Seneca Wallace fell incomplete and Pittsburgh left Cleveland Browns Stadium with a 13-9 victory and the fifth seed in the AFC playoffs which begin next weekend.
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns ended their season with a Hail Mary pass that wasn't answered. Now novenas may be in order.
They failed to score a touchdown against the rival Pittsburgh Steelers for the second time in 24 days, losing, 13-9, despite two defensive takeaways in the fourth quarter. Their season total of 217 points was their lowest since 2000, their 4-12 record their worst since 2008 and their 0-6 record against AFC North teams matched the futility of 2006.
The Browns earned the No. 4 spot in the April draft -- their highest placing since 2005 when they chose receiver Braylon Edwards. They also own the first pick of the playoff-bound Atlanta Falcons, which will be in the 20s.
When five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas was asked the prospect of the team adding an offensive playmaker in the off-season, he stated the obvious.
"I think it would be huge," Thomas said. "Even if he makes one big play in a game, that's sometimes three points, sometimes seven points."
That could have made a difference in seven of their losses.
"You can't win these division games without scoring touchdowns," said tight end Even Moore.
In his third start in place of Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace faced the Steelers for the first time in his nine NFL seasons. Despite Steelers headhunter James Harrison defused by the prospect of a post-season suspension with another illegal hit, Wallace couldn't get his team in the end zone.
Tony Grossi's Take

• Offense: Before the Hail Mary drive at the end, they blew two defensive takeaways in the fourth quarter by punting after three plays and then after four. On a day in which James Harrison lollygagged to avoid another suspension, the offense couldn't run or pass, except for a few Seneca Wallace scrambles and catches by Josh Cribbs. Bottom line: Blow it up and try over.
  • Defense: They gave Isaac Redman his yards in place of injured Rashard Mendenhall, but they also forced two fumbles by the journeyman backup. Ben Roethlisberger dinked and dunked most of the game to avoid worsening his high ankle sprain. Good in the red zone again, allowing only one TD in four trips. Bottom line: Something to build on.
  • Special teams: Nothing here of note, except Phil Dawson's three field goals -- two of over 40 yards -- in 24 mph winds and occasional sheets of rain. Longest return for either team was 28 yards by Steelers' Antonio Brown. Bottom line: No blowups or brownouts.
  • Coaching: Pat Shurmur chose to punt in the fourth quarter from the Steelers' 34 with 10:08 to go and from the Browns' 49 with 5:08 left. The fact the Browns had one last possession -- and a Hail Mary pass on the last play -- to win probably validates the decisions. Still ... Bottom line: T.G.I.O. (thank goodness it's over). -- Tony Grossi
Related stories

Wallace threw 41 times in 24 mph winds, swirling sheets of rain and sleet that turned to giant snowflakes at the end. He missed connections on 25. Two were spikes to stop the clock prior to the final pass in the end zone, which glanced off Greg Little's hands and chest.
Wallace's best play was a 27-yard run on a keeper to the Steelers' 4 in the second quarter. That's as far as that excursion went.
Any time Wallace got close to the goal line, he lost his ability to complete a pass. Prior to each of Phil Dawson's three field goals, Wallace was 0-for-2 from the Steelers' 8, 0-for-3 from the 27 and 0-for 2 from the 24 with a seven-yard sack.
Then there were the two possessions in the fourth quarter after the Browns forced fumbles by Steelers replacement running back Isaac Redman and recovered both.
On the first, Wallace completed one pass to Mohamed Massaquoi of 11 yards, and then had two incompletions (one a Massaquoi drop) before coach Pat Shurmur called for the punting unit at the Steelers' 34 with 10:08 to play.
On the second, Wallace again earned one first down on a 10-yarder to Josh Cribbs, who had a fine game with seven catches for 91 yards. Then Wallace threw behind Massaquoi, threw badly for Massaquoi, and threw short for Little. Shurmur again chose to punt, this time from the Browns' 49 with 5:08 to go.
"[The weather] was tough, but we can't make excuses," said Wallace, who was intercepted once by safety Troy Polamalu. "It was windy. You guys all saw that. Towards the end of the game we started getting some mixed hail gusts and all of the other stuff. But as professionals, we have got to play through it and try to make plays."
On this wet and windy day, Peyton Hillis, coming off his healthy 114-yard rushing game in Baltimore, ran 10 times for 30 yards. The Steelers, meanwhile, got 92 yards and one rushing touchdown out of Redman, who replaced Rashard Mendenhall in the second quarter after the feature back left with a non-contact knee injury.
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw mostly short all game to avoid worsening his high ankle sprain suffered against the Browns on Dec. 8. Roethlisberger suffered two sacks and was pummeled after one throw by Jayme Mitchell, but he survived without further incident.
10403854-large.jpg
Enlarge Plain Dealer photography staff Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Cribbs misses a pass as he is covered by Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden in the fourth quarter Sunday, January 1, 2012 at Cleveland Browns Stadium in Cleveland. The Browns lost the game 9-13. (Joshua Gunter/ The Plain Dealer) Browns lose to Steelers 13-9 gallery (24 photos)

The Steelers (12-4) earned the fifth seed in the AFC playoffs and will play West winner Denver (8-8). The Baltimore Ravens (12-4) won the North on the tie-breaker and the Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) earned the AFC sixth seed despite their second loss in a row and will play South winner Houston (10-6).
So the Browns are the odd team out again. Their 4-12 record in Shurmur's rookie season matched the mark of Butch Davis' fourth team in 2004 and Romeo Crennel's second and fourth teams in 2006 and 2008.
"It's not enough wins," Shurmur said. "I want this game to be the last game of the year where we're talking about other things [other than] where we're playing our playoff game, who we're playing against, those types of things.
"We've got to win games and I'm obviously not at peace with that. Now we'll get to the business of doing what we have to do to get our team as right as we can make it for next season."
On Monday, Shurmur will conduct exit interviews with his players and lay out instructions for the off-season. Shurmur will delay his final press conference of the season until Tuesday. On Thursday, President Mike Holmgren and General Manager Tom Heckert will share their thoughts on how it all went kablooey in their second season in charge and how they plan to make it right.
That may be where the novenas come in. Because the uphill climb on offense appears too steep for one new player to carry the load to respectability.
On Twitter: @TonyGrossi

You're just jealous 'cause at least Brady has one :coffee:

Back