BBC's "Luther"

Den-in-NH

Happy For Tom
Reaction score
So I caught a little of the Golden Globes after the Packers/Giants game this weekend and I saw that Idris Elba (who I enjoyed immensely on the terrific HBO series "The Wire") won a Globe for his performance in a BBC police drama called "Luther".

So I checked out On Demand and sure enough they're carrying the first two seasons (or "series" if you want to stick with the British terminology), although this equates to only 10 total episodes. The Globes actually considered "Luther" (for the sake of their awards) to be a miniseries, although a third season is expected.

The show follows Elba as John Luther, a Detective Chief Inspector with the London Serious Crime Unit. Luther is brilliant and a master of human behavior. In fact, the show gives you the perpetrator upfront, letting you in on who committed the crime. The drama arises from Luther's mechanics to catch the criminal and solve or prove the particulars of the crime (or fail to do so.)

Luther is methodical, obssessive, and relentless in his persuit of justice - though he's not afraid to operate outside the law if his own moral code dictates such. In his personal life (which follows a strained relationship with a seperated wife) Luther is tornado of emotions, pain and regret - a total contrast to his meticulous nature and controlled emotional state as a detective. We usually see Luther's temper (which can be extreme) in his dealings with his wife and her new lover as oppossed to his interactions with criminals in which he is always completely in control. He's a complex character and Elba's performance is intense and powerful - definately worthy of the award.

The crimes are unique and brutally depicted. The first several episodes cover a double-homicide of two parents committed by a narcissistic and brilliant daughter (this character plays a prominant role throughout the series), a ex-military sniper on a mission to assassinate police officers, and a cultist interested in drinking the blood of his victims. As the series progresses the crimes are continually creative and elements from previous cases frequently reappear.

The London setting is interesting - it's neat to pick up on small differences between this and an American police procedural. I never knew England used a different emergency number until I heard the line "Play back the 999 call." Although I was glad I was watching it with the ability to rewind because I do find the accents a bit difficult to understand at times.

Overall, a great show - very glad I got turned on to it and as I hadn't even heard of thi show until the Globes, I figured I'd take a moment to recommend it to you guys. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy police procedurals, psychological thrillers, and character studies. Highly recommended. :thumb:

Meh, not really a fan of either show, tbh. I can't actually think of a British show I like much at the mo. It's all American stuff for me, like Justified, The Wire, the Shield and so on.

If you think London accents are difficult to understand, you should try those from my part of the world (North West England). When I used to have a much broader Northern accent, I got some strange looks from non-Brits. :jester:

Re Idris Elba- I was amazed to find out he was a Londoner. I heard him interviewed and was "WTF?". I'd love to know if you guys found his accent convincing. Same with Dominic West- his mock- "American doing a bad British accent" is very, very funny indeed.

Meh, not really a fan of either show, tbh. I can't actually think of a British show I like much at the mo. It's all American stuff for me, like Justified, The Wire, the Shield and so on.

If you think London accents are difficult to understand, you should try those from my part of the world (North West England). When I used to have a much broader Northern accent, I got some strange looks from non-Brits. :jester:

Re Idris Elba- I was amazed to find out he was a Londoner. I heard him interviewed and was "WTF?". I'd love to know if you guys found his accent convincing. Same with Dominic West- his mock- "American doing a bad British accent" is very, very funny indeed.

If you like The Wire and The Shield, then you should check out a show called Breaking Bad. The first two seasons are out on DVD and are available to stream on Netflix. I don't know if you have access to that or a similar service, but this show is dynamite and reminded me of The Shield in the way it builds huge tension and how the lead character becomes sort of an anti-hero in the Vic Mackey mold. Plenty of street violence/drugs like The Wire as well.

If you like The Wire and The Shield, then you should check out a show called Breaking Bad. The first two seasons are out on DVD and are available to stream on Netflix. I don't know if you have access to that or a similar service, but this show is dynamite and reminded me of The Shield in the way it builds huge tension and how the lead character becomes sort of an anti-hero in the Vic Mackey mold. Plenty of street violence/drugs like The Wire as well.

Superb. Thanks for the recommendation. Netflix has just come to the UK, so we'll see how it pans out.

Superb. Thanks for the recommendation. Netflix has just come to the UK, so we'll see how it pans out.

I think it was 33 episodes (season 1&2) available now and many hours of twisted fun. Ten minutes into the first episode I was saying "WTF?" and by the end of the second I was hopelessly hooked. I think I finished them in three weeks and am dying for season 3 to be released. I think my record was three episodes back-to-back.

It was recommended highly to me and I finally did myself the favor, so I'm just passing the recommendation on in hopes that somebody else is as amused by it as I am.

I thought of another parallel to The Shield-- Walter, the lead character, spins a very tangled web, but he means well.

ROFL

I think it was 33 episodes (season 1&2) available now and many hours of twisted fun. Ten minutes into the first episode I was saying "WTF?" and by the end of the second I was hopelessly hooked. I think I finished them in three weeks and am dying for season 3 to be released. I think my record was three episodes back-to-back.

It was recommended highly to me and I finally did myself the favor, so I'm just passing the recommendation on in hopes that somebody else is as amused by it as I am.

I thought of another parallel to The Shield-- Walter, the lead character, spins a very tangled web, but he means well.

ROFL

I just read the brief story outline on Wikipedia (but obviously not the plot). It really does sound twisted and good fun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EpEN1CuJrWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back