Big lunar eclipse tonight.

rivshark86

Reaction score
There’s a lunar eclipse tonight that’s visible on the East coast. Should start around 10:30, with the peak around 12 or 12:15. I’m in VA, and we may get lucky and have a semi clear sky. Hopefully y’all get clear skies up in NE.

Thank you, I always find about stuff like this after the fact

There’s a lunar eclipse tonight that’s visible on the East coast. Should start around 10:30, with the peak around 12 or 12:15. I’m in VA, and we may get lucky and have a semi clear sky. Hopefully y’all get clear skies up in NE.
Thanks. I'll give in a shot. Hope I can see something but I'm at Disney World in FLA and there is so much light pollution I'd have a hard time finding a black hole. From space central FLA looks like a yotta-watt search light is in use.

:) I can see it beginning!!

I haven’t caught one since 05. It’s either been cloudy, I’ve missed it, or it’s come at like 4:15 in the morning.

I work at nights, So I am up. I was fixated on the moon last night driving home, seemed huge. clear night. West coast. I'll keep an eye out tonight. thanks.

I have my good camera and tripod with me and at 50x the moon filled the screen and was deep red. However, although the viewscreen was red, the picture came out b/w. Odd. Since the color comes from light passing through earth's atmosphere, perhaps I needed a special filter??? Picture quality isn't that good given i had a tripod. That said, at full eclipse, the view through the viewfinder was magnificently red.

IMG_2943.JPG

It definitely doesn't look as good through my camera phone.
Beautiful night and sight though.

There are major thunderstorms about 20 miles north of where I live. With the eclipse and clear skies to the south the contrast is incredible. Makes you feel grateful to be alive and able to experience these things.

It definitely doesn't look as good through my camera phone.
Beautiful night and sight though.

There are major thunderstorms about 20 miles north of where I live. With the eclipse and clear skies to the south the contrast is incredible. Makes you feel grateful to be alive and able to experience these things.
But yours is red. not sure what I was doing wrong. Next total eclipse on the east coast is 2025. I'll be ready next time :D

I just asked google, and holy cow I did not realize there was so much to photographing the moon, and getting the shutter speed right. I guess the moon moves fast enough it can be difficult. I skimmed the article, and it didn’t seem to address the color problem. I’m interested though, so I’m going to keep looking.

I think we have another one coming this November 7/8th.

I just asked google, and holy cow I did not realize there was so much to photographing the moon, and getting the shutter speed right. I guess the moon moves fast enough it can be difficult. I skimmed the article, and it didn’t seem to address the color problem. I’m interested though, so I’m going to keep looking.

I think we have another one coming this November 7/8th.
Yes, though if I read it correctly it's only a total eclipse on the West Coast maybe the West 3rd of the country. I'll try again from New Hampshire but will look up about reading how to photograph an eclipse. Thanks for the tip about the speed of the Moon. That explains the blurriness my picture. My
tripod is old and a little loose that didn't help.

Back