Brady's Contract

sprocketboy

Surrounded by Donkey Fans
Reaction score
According to Spotrac, Brady becomes a free agent at the end of the 2019 season. For reference, SB 54 is on Feb 2nd 2020; the day after that, Brady will be 42 years and 6 months old.

Brady has traditionally signed contract extensions and/or restructures with one year left on his current contract. He is slated to make $15M in the 2019-20 season, but because of previously earned signing bonuses, etc, the Patriots take a $27M cap hit for that season.

With all that in mind, if you were GM, what would you offer him?

Do you think he would accept a contract extension with, say, $10M in base salary for two seasons (2020-21 and 2021-22) with a club option for a third (2022-23), only loaded with enough incentives* to potentially double that figure? Do you think that would be too much to offer?

Or, would you somehow pull next season (2019-20) into the mix with an offer to both restructure and extend? If so, what should that contract look like?

How much of the contract would you guarantee?

*I had to study up a little on how incentives and bonuses impact the salary cap. Incentives are classified either as "LTBE" (likely to be earned) or as "NLTBE" (not likely to be earned). LTBE incentives are counted in advance against the seasons in which those incentives are available, but in the rare cases that they are not earned in a given season, their values are used to adjust the team's cap upward in the next season. NLTBE incentives are the opposite; if earned, they do not count against the current season's cap, but are used to adjust next season's cap downward.

They can just ask him what he wants, and give it to him. Easiest deal ever.

I dont think a 42 year old Brady would demand much guaranteed money.

It will work out, it always does.

I heard BB is going to let his test free agency and come back if he gets any serious offers. :coffee:

I think they could easily chop some of that guaranteed money if they needed to. I don't think the extension would really matter, just backload it for him to get his money when he is 70.:coffee:

I think they could easily chop some of that guaranteed money if they needed to. I don't think the extension would really matter, just backload it for him to get his money when he is 70.:coffee:

NFL's first 29 year K. Nice. If anyone deserves it...

Cheers

Back