Bryan Cranston as LBJ

Mark_Henderson

very stable genius
Reaction score
Since there were so many Breaking Bad fans in here, I thought I'd give a shout out to Bryan Cranston's amazing performance as LBJ in "All The Way", which started airing this weekend on HBO.

It's cool to see someone really talented finally hit the big time in middle age and Breaking Bad really seems to have done that for Cranston. He also was fantastic in his Oscar nominated role this year in Trumbo - wouldn't have been totally surprised if he'd beaten out Leo (who was impressive in The Revenant).

Regardless of your politics, Cranston's performance will blow you away. The make up was great and he had played this role on Broadway, but still, I wasn't that long into the show before I stopped seeing Cranston at all and it just felt like watching Lyndon Johnson.

If anyone's interested, this is a really good interview from last week with Cranston, where he talks some about playing LBJ, but more about Breaking Bad and his career in general. It's about 30 mins. long.

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/20/47877...-bryan-cranston-is-a-master-of-transformation

I hated Malcolm in the Middle...but, after that, he did some really good stuff.

LBJ sucked ass as the puppet prez.

I watched it the other night and thought he was great. HBO is at its best when it does stuff like that. Very detailed, on point as one would expect from him.

Their due for a big hit now that games is winding down. Although I think veep and Sil Valley are hilarious.

I hated Malcolm in the Middle...but, after that, he did some really good stuff.

LBJ sucked ass as the puppet prez.

The movie isn't about evaluating Johnson's career - it only covers the year between JFK's assassination and the election in '64, mainly focusing on the gamesmanship around passing the civil rights act. Whatever your view of the man, the performance is awesome.

The movie isn't about evaluating Johnson's career - it only covers the year between JFK's assassination and the election in '64, mainly focusing on the gamesmanship around passing the civil rights act. Whatever your view of the man, the performance is awesome.

I want to watch it...

I watched it yesterday and Mark's right, he did a great job.

Probably many of you won't click on the interview link because you assume it's some pompous crap on NPR, but if you like Bryan Cranston, it couldn't be better. He talks about his childhood with his parents' rough divorce, putting in time as a stand-up comic where he did routines about vaginas, what he drew on to create the character of Walter White. I really recommend it if you have 30 minutes.

Back