Camcorder Help Please!

ron1625

Reaction score
I got a Samsung DVD Camcorder as a gift for xmas and am now just learning how to use it, I want to put a recording onto my PC to edit it using windows movie maker but the program wont allow me to Import the film so that it can be edited.
Text box tells me the files are IFO, BUP and VRO, I've already worked out that I will have to Convert these files to make them usable in the Editing program.

The question is how do I go about it, whats the best program to use for this, I've found a few "FREE" programs but am not sure the best way to go about this as some downloaded programs work for a while then you have to upgrade...Has any one experience in this area?? your help would be gratefully appreciated by this Techno-phobe trying to get into the 21st Century

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... interesting. One thing you can do is, if your camcorder has the ability to do playback on the camera itself, is to hook up your USB or FireWire cable to the computer, play the video on the camera while capturing it in the MovieMaker program.

I'm not sure how it would work for you, though. I have a Sony Digital Camcorder, and import it into Adobe Premiere, so... Your mileage may vary.

We bought a camcorder about a year ago and from what I was reading the DVD camcorders can be kinda tricky to get video to your PC and still have it look good. We finally went with the MiniDV and you just use a firewire cord to plug it into the computer, turn on the power and wait for the window to pop up.

Ron,

I am not familiar with the Samsung VP Dx100 but it has to have the ability to connect either a USB, Firewire, etc. cable to it in order for a PC to detect and gain access to this external Video Camera device. Go up on Samsung and check out the accessories, cables, etc. available for this device.

Once your Samsung VP Dx100 is connected to your PC and then your PC acknowledges this external video camera device, there are multiples ways to influx your video into Windows Movie Maker (WMM) as follows:

1. Simply play the video on your Samsung VP Dx100 and use the WMM Capture faciliity. This more than likey works better with a firewire connection because there is more slick WMM control sw than using a USB cable. Typically USB interconnectivty is used to directly save MPG or JPG files from the Video Camcorder to the PC hard-drive.

2. Use WMM Import Video Files option ONLY IF you can generate NON-DVD formatted files and move then from the Samsung VP Dx100 to your PC. Check your Samsung VP Dx100 menu options to see if there is a settings for your Camcorder to output true video files like .mpg, .avi, etc. If you can get these true video files onto your PC hard-drive, then you can import them into WMM or any other product like Win DVD, etc.

Hope some of this helps and best of luck... :thumb:

The obvious question that is most relevent has not been asked. Is it a secks movie? and you are planning to share it, right?

Ron,

I am not familiar with the Samsung VP Dx100 but it has to have the ability to connect either a USB, Firewire, etc. cable to it in order for a PC to detect and gain access to this external Video Camera device. Go up on Samsung and check out the accessories, cables, etc. available for this device.

Once your Samsung VP Dx100 is connected to your PC and then your PC acknowledges this external video camera device, there are multiples ways to influx your video into Windows Movie Maker (WMM) as follows:

1. Simply play the video on your Samsung VP Dx100 and use the WMM Capture faciliity. This more than likey works better with a firewire connection because there is more slick WMM control sw than using a USB cable. Typically USB interconnectivty is used to directly save MPG or JPG files from the Video Camcorder to the PC hard-drive.

2. Use WMM Import Video Files option ONLY IF you can generate NON-DVD formatted files and move then from the Samsung VP Dx100 to your PC. Check your Samsung VP Dx100 menu options to see if there is a settings for your Camcorder to output true video files like .mpg, .avi, etc. If you can get these true video files onto your PC hard-drive, then you can import them into WMM or any other product like Win DVD, etc.

Hope some of this helps and best of luck... :thumb:

I looked. It doesn't have the ability to connect to a PC. Hence the DVD Ripping info link :)

Can you take it back, and replace it with one that you can hook up to your computer? That might be the best bet. I once got a small video camera, which works great, but it does not connect to a pc or notebook by firewire (which would be optimum; it only hooks up by usb. And it takes so long to download a movie into the computer...it's a nightmare.)

Maybe you can, like I say, simply bring it back, and get a different one.

Back