Chad Brown and Ryan Krug have been released

ladypatsfan

Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

The Patriots released linebacker Chad Brown today. Brown, who was signed to a two-year contract prior to the 2005 season, was due a $200,000 roster bonus on March 22. His release saves the Patriots about $1 million on the salary cap.

The Patriots also released offensive lineman Ryan Krug. More on these moves in a bit.

Damn! Beat me to it! :)

Well... do we think Chad will be back? I know he was a tremendous disappointment, almost Donald Hayes-esque (even though, unlike Hayes, he survived the whole season), but he was putting things together after Bruschi's return and the switch in defensive alignments.

I don't think any of us are gonna miss Chad Brown...that was a bust.

And I agree. I cannot believe we will pay the offseason bonus to a guy that has NOT BEEN ON THE FIELD IN TWO YEARS! Okay, maybe he's played like 3-4 games, but Poole IMO is done.

How much under the cap are we now? And, um, are there gonna be any FAs left to pay? One would think we'd hear something about Willie or Seymour or Neal or Givens w/all this money hanging around. But as someone noted in another thread, all we're hearing is *chirp*...

aaava said:
One would think we'd hear something about Willie or Seymour or Neal or Givens w/all this money hanging around. But as someone noted in another thread, all we're hearing is *chirp*...

Maybe that "chirping" will be drowned out by a big pickup or two....the Patriots have come through more often than expected with a surprise signing/trade. They're still a pretty solid club, but they need a bit more to dominate. I mean, even more than fixing up Seymour. Or even getting Vinatieri and/or Givens back.

Something good may be cookin'....oh, that's something in the frying pan!

Mr NFLfan said:
I'm still wondering when they are going to release that waste of skin Tyrone Poole?

Pure conjecture, but I believe I had heard from somewhat credible sources that the Pats had to make the decision on Poole by the 3rd day of FA, which by definition (drumroll please) would be by tonight when the clock strikes midnight.

Cletusaurus said:
Damn! Beat me to it! :)

Well... do we think Chad will be back? I know he was a tremendous disappointment, almost Donald Hayes-esque (even though, unlike Hayes, he survived the whole season), but he was putting things together after Bruschi's return and the switch in defensive alignments.

The more I think about it, the more I believe C Brown kind of got porked by having to play a position he'd never played before (at least to my knowledge) - ILB. I would equate it to being an accountant your entire career, and then the CEO coming in one day and making you head of the finance department...and oh, BTW, you need to look at 16 deals that need to vetted in the next 4 months. GOOD LUCK!! On the face of things accounting and finance seem similar, but when you get into the knitty gritty they are worlds apart when playing at the top level. C Brown actually showed some adequacy at the position by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Ted Johnson's sudden retirement sealed his fate here IMO. But you know what, even when he was declared inactive for the first Buffalo game (Bruschi's return), he never bitched and moaned. He was a true professional to the end; and if BB deems he needs a guy like C Brown, I'd be happy to have him back....at OLB that is. ;) Good luck Chad!

One thing I've noticed over the last few years is that it takes a year or two for our free agent pickups to really have the impact we all expect to happen right away. Of course, Colvin got hurt, but he really didn't start to play well until he felt comfortable in our system. I think both Starks and C Brown were thrown into a complex and new system with the hopes that their athletic ability would make up for not fully understanding our system. Last year proved that approach does not work. I think this is why the Patriots are able to plug in guys who are third stringers on the depth chart and not lose a whole lot in production. These third stringers have usually been with the team for awhile and have a good understanding of the schemes and responsibilities. I think that is why Brown started to come on towards the end of the season and play reasonably well - plus playing OLB. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing Brown back for another year as added depth at LB.

Wandering Athol said:
Pure conjecture, but I believe I had heard from somewhat credible sources that the Pats had to make the decision on Poole by the 3rd day of FA, which by definition (drumroll please) would be by tonight when the clock strikes midnight.

Nope friday is the jumping off point with Poole.

Veteran cornerback Tyrone Poole is in a similar situation, due a roster bonus of $500,000 Friday. Poole, who because of injury played only in the season opener last season, is scheduled to make $1.5 million in base pay next season, the same amount the Patriots would save off the cap with his release.

Poole's agent, Hadley Englehardt, said the team has yet to inform him of its intentions.

Back