Chiefs Sign Sankey off Patriots PS

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
Oh well. With Lewis coming back soon it wasn't like we were going to be seeing much of him anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732146/article/chiefs-sign-running-back-bishop-sankey

The Kansas City Chiefs have added a running back.

With Jamaal Charles scheduled for another knee checkup, the team has signed Bishop Sankey, per agent Jason Bernstein.

Sankey was signed off New England's practice squad to bolster a backfield that saw lead runner Spencer Ware leave Sunday's win over the Colts with a concussion. While Charcandrick West is the obvious next man up, Sankey serves as insurance after Charles suffered a setback with his knee in Week 7.

Sankey notched 762 yards rushing at 3.8 yards per carry over two seasons in Tennessee before the Titans released the former second-round pick prior to the opener.

He's far from a special talent, but the 24-year-old Sankey could see a handful of meaningful snaps as soon as Sunday against the Jaguars.

I would guess the promotion of Gaffney over him. told him he was not really needed here.
So I wish him well and am just looking to see what the Pats do about the hole left by the Collins trade.

Wish him luck. I still think he can be a productive back. Maybe all this time off will help.

Question? How is Sankey on the practice squad? Wasn't he a starter in Tennessee for a couple years?

Question? How is Sankey on the practice squad? Wasn't he a starter in Tennessee for a couple years?

Sankey was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft.[12][13] He was the 54th overall pick and the first running back taken, the latest for a first running back in the history of the NFL Draft.[14][15]
On June 17, 2014, Sankey signed a four-year contract with the Titans. Sankey scored his first NFL touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts on September 28, 2014. Sankey finished his rookie season with 569 yards on 152 carries and two touchdowns. Sankey recorded an additional 133 receiving yards on 18 receptions.[16]
Sankey opened the 2015 season with a career high 74 yards on 12 carries and one touchdown. However following Week 6, Sankey would only receive eight carries for 34 yards and six receptions and was a healthy scratch three times.[17] Sankey started only three games in 2015, down from the previous years nine.[18]
On September 2, 2016, Sankey was released by the Titans as part of final roster cuts.[19]
New England Patriots[edit]
On September 5, 2016, Sankey was signed to the Patriots' practice squad.[20]

Sankey was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft.[12][13] He was the 54th overall pick and the first running back taken, the latest for a first running back in the history of the NFL Draft.[14][15]
On June 17, 2014, Sankey signed a four-year contract with the Titans. Sankey scored his first NFL touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts on September 28, 2014. Sankey finished his rookie season with 569 yards on 152 carries and two touchdowns. Sankey recorded an additional 133 receiving yards on 18 receptions.[16]
Sankey opened the 2015 season with a career high 74 yards on 12 carries and one touchdown. However following Week 6, Sankey would only receive eight carries for 34 yards and six receptions and was a healthy scratch three times.[17] Sankey started only three games in 2015, down from the previous years nine.[18]
On September 2, 2016, Sankey was released by the Titans as part of final roster cuts.[19]
New England Patriots[edit]
On September 5, 2016, Sankey was signed to the Patriots' practice squad.[20]

I get it and believe it. I just thought there were restrictions in place for who is eligible to be placed on the practice squad?

Back