Coaching staff

dropKickMurphy

Reaction score
While Crennell and Weis have (justifiably) been getting lot of attention, it's time to recognize some other coaches for their brilliant work with this team.

Dante Scarnecchia and Jeff Davidson have taken a bunch of guys who, for the most part, were considered NFL rejects, and molded them into a unit that is performing at an extemely high level.
The Bills had not allowed a single RB to rush for 100 yards until last night. Dillon and Faulk were runing through some huge holes in that vaunted Bills' D. Meanwhile, the time that Brady was enjoying in the pocket could have been measured just as easily with a calendar as with a stopwatch. It's mind boggling that this unit has been so effective when you look at the pedigrees of the guys who have played on the line this season:
Matt Light - 2nd Round pick
Joe Andruizzi - Undrafted
Dan Koppen - 5th Round pick
Stephen Neal - Undrafted
Brandon Gorin - 7th round pick
Russ Hochstein - 5th Round pick
Adrian Klemm - 2nd Round pick
Tom Ashworth - Undrafted

You could say pretty much the same thing about Eric Mangini's work with the defensive backfield. With all the injuries, on paper this looks like it should be a glaring weakness right now. Yet somehow, no matter who Mangini puts out there, it continues to hold together. The guys are handling their assignments, and we aren't getting burned by big passing plays. The scheme is working.

I guess my point is this: Even if we lose both Crennel and Weis next year, this system will continue to function. Just as the Pats always seem to have players to fill holes left by injuries and departures, they also have depth in the coaching department. I have all the confidence in the world that we have guys who are ready to step into the coordinator positions and perform as brilliantly as Charlie and Romeo.

Leovigild said:
Wasn't Joe Andruzzi originally discovered by the Green Bay Packers?

Yes, the Packers originally signed him as an undrafted free agent.

One one hand I find myself, like Jim Morrison, worrying that this is the END, my friend.

A major rage and pillage of the FO is on the horizon for the off season, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guys on the way out the door are planning for their own exits by stealing the role players like Mangini, etc and promising them coordinator jobs.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick has a depth chart of guys that know his system about as well as the guys we have now and the transition won't be as bumpy as we fear it could.

Assuming Mangini will go, does Pepper get the DC job? What if both go? Will Dante stick around?

I'd love to know what is going on behind closed doors with these guys. Romeo and Charlie could theoretically be lobbying for the same guys to come with them after the season.

Another good coach is the Pat's RB coach. He was recognized as one of top WR coach's when he coached WR's for the Pat's, but for the last 2 years he has been the RB coach. He has to get some credit for the Pat's running success. If Corey becomes a good receiver we shouldn't be surprised.

Note: The Pat's decided to partially host their web page on a particularly bad advertising web-site, so I can't get his name. You would think the Kraft's make enough money from the Pat's to host their own web page, but I guess they had to be greedy about it.

Hawg, I expect some pillaging of the coaching staff, but i doubt Pioli is going anywhere for at least a couple more years. I don't believe J. Kraft was talking B.S. when he said Pioli is staying thru the 06' Draft. Weis is GONE imo, and i hope Crennel gets a HC job, because he really deserves it.

I agree completely that the replacements are being groomed throughout the organization. I think Mangini knows he will replace Crennel, and stayed here with the Patriots for that very reason. I believe Davidson will replace Weis. Pees will probably stay on, but I can see Fears and Johnson leaving with Weis and Crennel.

The Patriots aren't satisfied with having temporary success, and Belichek is building this franchise for the long haul. He knew from the start that success would have other teams taking his players and staff, and he has built them to withstand that inevitability.

townes said:
Hawg, I expect some pillaging of the coaching staff, but i doubt Pioli is going anywhere for at least a couple more years. I don't believe J. Kraft was talking B.S. when he said Pioli is staying thru the 06' Draft. Weis is GONE imo, and i hope Crennel gets a HC job, because he really deserves it.

I agree completely that the replacements are being groomed throughout the organization. I think Mangini knows he will replace Crennel, and stayed here with the Patriots for that very reason. I believe Davidson will replace Weis. Pees will probably stay on, but I can see Fears and Johnson leaving with Weis and Crennel.

The Patriots aren't satisfied with having temporary success, and Belichek is building this franchise for the long haul. He knew from the start that success would have other teams taking his players and staff, and he has built them to withstand that inevitability.

One thing about Belichick's way of doing things is that you really don't get to hear much from the assistants and it can be tough to get a really good feel for what kind of people they are when all you have to judge them on is the way their units perform on the field.

That and an occasional anecdote about a guy like Mangini, who is supposedly top-notch.

On second thought, maybe that IS the best way to judge them.

Responding en masse to all the prior posts:

1. Assistant coaches under contract to the Patriots CANNOT leave unless they are getting a promotion. So Ivan Fears, Mangini etc. can't just leave unless they are getting a bump up. That greatly reduces the "mass exodus" fear that some have mentioned.

2. Dante Scarnecchia is going to be aNew England Patriot coach for as long as he coaches in this league. First off, part of his title is "Assistant Head Coach", so he cannot be stolen away except for a true head coaching job, which is one he does NOT want. Second, he has been with the Pats for over 20 years, through thick and thin excepting only a very brief stint as a coach for the Colts (2 years, and then he came back to us). It's clear his heart and soul are in New England, so I have zero fear of him leaving.

3. Mangini is the chosen one if Weis leaves. He was offered the DC position with the Raiders BEFORE Ryan, who took the job. Mangini turned it down, because he knows his time as DC for the Patriots, under BB, is soon to arrive. I have no fear of him leaving to follow Romeo elsewhere.

4. Weis' contract is up, and he is 99% likely to be gone after this year one way or the other, as we won't pay him what he wants. I have no idea who his successor will be, but it doesn't seem that BB is too worried since he refused to pay Weis what he was looking for (which wasn't THAT far out of line with a top-notch coordinator.

5. I have relatively little fear of Pioli leaving, although that would be by far the most damaging loss of them all. Pioli is young, is BB's best friend, and they have built a great thing together. The nucleus of our talent is young, and BB could seriously coach for at least 5 more years, and we're likely to be in the hunt for all of them. Pioli isn't even 40 yet. He can ride this wave for a few more years, collect a few more Lombardis, and then rule his own roost before he's 45 years old, even. I don't see, logically, why he would leave now.

Back