Colts fans in Baltimore?

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
I have got to seriously wonder how many Colts fans will have the balls to attend this week's game in Baltimore.

I'm not slamming Colts fans by saying this. What I'm saying is if I were a Colts fan from Indiana, I would not to go to Baltimore, let alone the stadium or the game, wearing Colts stuff. I would be super afraid of getting my arse kicked.

Even if I was from Baltimore and rooted for the Colts even though they left town, I wouldn't go to the game.

This ain't going to be like the Cardinals returning to St. Louis. The fans in Baltimore HATE the Colts franchise, and it ain't going to matter to them that none of the current players ever played for the Baltimore Colts (and some likely weren't even born when the move happened... which makes me feel old!)

But maybe that's just me.

Do our resident Colts fans have any thoughts on this?

*(Again, I am NOT slamming Colts fans on this one. I know the fans in Indiana had nothing to do with the move. I'm just wondering how many Colts fans actually have the guts to go to this game. I wouldn't.)

I wonder what the fans would think if somebody were to have a Johnny Unitas jersey on at that game?

Go Colts!

Or an Indianapolis Orioles shirt

TrueBeliever on 01-09-2007 at 07:26 PM said:
I have got to seriously wonder how many Colts fans will have the balls to attend this week's game in Baltimore.

I'm not slamming Colts fans by saying this. What I'm saying is if I were a Colts fan from Indiana, I would not to go to Baltimore, let alone the stadium or the game, wearing Colts stuff. I would be super afraid of getting my arse kicked.

Even if I was from Baltimore and rooted for the Colts even though they left town, I wouldn't go to the game.

This ain't going to be like the Cardinals returning to St. Louis. The fans in Baltimore HATE the Colts franchise, and it ain't going to matter to them that none of the current players ever played for the Baltimore Colts (and some likely weren't even born when the move happened... which makes me feel old!)

But maybe that's just me.

*(Again, I am NOT slamming Colts fans on this one. I know the fans in Indiana had nothing to do with the move. I'm just wondering how many Colts fans actually have the guts to go to this game. I wouldn't.)
23+ years since they moved and there is still a lot of animosity? I don't know, but it will be interesting to watch on Saturday.

yes, there's still a TON of hatred.

that being said, i don't envision it being too much of a problem. I lived in baltimore for a while, and never missed an opportunity to wear the horseshoe.

it's just like any other away game. if you handle yourself well, your chances of having a real problem are slim.

I will be going to this game... and believe me, I have heard it all week of how us Colts fans shouldn't show or else... (and its only Tuesday, well technically Wed now)

I personally don't care. If their whining sorry butts can't get over it, when they went out and 'stole' a team from Cleveland, then let them cry in their beer.

I will be there, in full 'current' Colts gear!

Deanna

Colts Addict on 01-10-2007 at 12:25 AM said:
I personally don't care. If their whining sorry butts can't get over it, when they went out and 'stole' a team from Cleveland, then let them cry in their beer.

They used to be the Cleveland Ravens???? :huh:

The issue isn't so much with the team moving to Indy (although Irsay, being the weasel he is, and doing it in the middle of the night, practically stealing the team from the city, did irk quite a few people) The bigger issue is the team name. He stole the name, in Baltimorian's eyes. And that's just wrong. When Modell moved the team to Baltimore he didn't name them the Baltimore Browns. Cleveland got to keep the Browns football history, as it should. And Baltimore should have been able to keep the Colts history.

Course, technically they have. To just about all the Baltimore Colts players, as well as quite a few fans, the Ravens are the Colts.

When the best player in Colts history turns his back on the Indy team and throws his support to the Ravens... That's pretty damn sad. :shake: I mean, when Johnny U wants nothing to do with them... Guess that says a lot about the organization. :shrug:

I understand these shirts are selling well in Baltimore this week
Unitasf2.jpg

mgoblue101415 on 01-10-2007 at 02:29 AM said:

The issue isn't so much with the team moving to Indy (although Irsay, being the weasel he is, and doing it in the middle of the night, practically stealing the team from the city, did irk quite a few people) The bigger issue is the team name. He stole the name, in Baltimorian's eyes. And that's just wrong. When Modell moved the team to Baltimore he didn't name them the Baltimore Browns. Cleveland got to keep the Browns football history, as it should. And Baltimore should have been able to keep the Colts history.

Course, technically they have. To just about all the Baltimore Colts players, as well as quite a few fans, the Ravens are the Colts.

When the best player in Colts history turns his back on the Indy team and throws his support to the Ravens... That's pretty damn sad. :shake: I mean, when Johnny U wants nothing to do with them... Guess that says a lot about the organization. :shrug:

shows what you know. it's not the name, it's the history and records that they want back.

besides, do you really think that they wouldn't have tried to keep the browns name if the previous "battle" with the colts organization hadn't happened?

Well, according to most Indy fans, it doesn't matter what you say about this issue, you're whining if you support Baltimore fans about it.

But your point quoted here is, I think, a great point. If Unitas is against the Indy Colts, and he's the most famous Colt of them all, that says enough for me.

I can't go to the game, but if I could, I would. In full Colts gear.

Yes, there's a lot of hatred. Yes, I guess I can understand it. But it happened a loooong time ago, and we fans and the players and staff had nothing to do with it. We're just backing our team, like any fanbase/city should. It is what it is.

I think it'll be a very hostile environment, and I'm sure the crowd noise will reach record levels, and I'm sure Colts fans will be harassed, but hey..... that's what the playoffs are all about, right?

Bring it on... give it your best shot... and let's see what happens on the field.

That's all that really matters.

JMO

cka203 on 01-10-2007 at 07:08 AM said:
, It is what it is.

JMO

Cka, this statement gave me a little laugh this morning :)

Great article in the Boston Globe about this situation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2007/01/10/no_ravin_for_colts/

This quote hit me a bit:
What disturbs me is that we went to Canton to see John Mackey inducted into the Hall of Fame, I got my camera up there and I'm shooting all the statues and it says 'Indianapolis Colts' on the bottom. I made some comment, and there's a guy standing next to me and he says, 'I think that's terrible, son.' It was Gale Sayers."

The only reason Modell didn't take everything with him to Baltimore is because Cleveland SUED to keep the name and records. Otherwise, the Ravens would be the Browns and Cleveland would be S.O.L.

Thats what makes the whining by Ravens fans so funny.

PatsFan09 on 01-10-2007 at 07:27 AM said:
Great article in the Boston Globe about this situation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2007/01/10/no_ravin_for_colts/

This quote hit me a bit:
What disturbs me is that we went to Canton to see John Mackey inducted into the Hall of Fame, I got my camera up there and I'm shooting all the statues and it says 'Indianapolis Colts' on the bottom. I made some comment, and there's a guy standing next to me and he says, 'I think that's terrible, son.' It was Gale Sayers."

I will agree it's not right for the HoF and Unitas stuff to be labeled "Indianapolis Colts". That stuff should remain Baltimore Colts.

As an Indy Colts fan, I only associate what the team's done since coming to Indy as "Indy Colts" stuff. What happened when they were in Baltimore is, to me, irrelevant. Two different teams, two different cities. All that matters to me is what's happened since they came to Indy.

I realize not everyone feels that way, but that's how I feel.

Prior to their arrival in Indy, I had several teams I liked, but no one in particular was "my" team, cause Indiana had no team.

Once we got a team, they became "my" team, simply because they are here where I live.

PatsFan09 on 01-10-2007 at 06:01 AM said:
But your point quoted here is, I think, a great point. If Unitas is against the Indy Colts, and he's the most famous Colt of them all, that says enough for me.
I think he was still mad about the Colts trading him to San Diego and the move to Indy just gave him the opportunity to say "screw 'em" publicly.

TrueBeliever on 01-09-2007 at 09:26 PM said:

***snip***

If I had the time and the money to spare for this game, I would be in Baltimore in a heartbeat.

WV-Colt on 01-10-2007 at 02:47 AM said:
shows what you know. it's not the name, it's the history and records that they want back.

They never lost the history. Unitas, Raymond Berry, Allan Ameche, Weeb Eubank, Don Shula, Gino Marchetti, the Colts Marching Band, John Mackey, "The Greatest Game Ever Played", Mike Curtis, the airplane in the upper deck, Art Donovan, Bubba Smith, Lenny Moore, Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks (best nickname in history), Earl Morrell...

This rich history belongs to the city of Baltimore. More accurately, it belongs to the loyal blue collar fans who packed gritty Memorial Stadium week after week. The people who were so eloquently portrayed in Diner. The fans whose hearts were crushed in SB III; whose hearts soared when Jim O'Brien's kick split the uprights as time expired in SB V... (30 years later, we Pats fans learned what that feels like!)

That kind of history can't be snuck out of town in the back of a moving van.

Baltimore Colts fans witnessed some of the most significant events in NFL history. Not only did their team participate in the 2 most important games ever played; they were to become the first fanbase victimized by the most profitable blackmail scheme ever devised. When Irsay publicly shopped the team around, the taxpayers of Indianapolis were happy to give him a sweetheart deal on a new stadium. This set off a chain of events that continues to this day, as wealthy owners extort as much taxpayer money as they can. Even though a handfull of owners (such as Kraft) have demonstrated the profitability of a privately financed stadium, local governments continue to divert hundreds of millions away from schools, fire fighters, police; and into the bank accounts of people like Paul Allen (who could afford to pay for a new stadium while barely denting his fortune).

If the Baltimore fans have any beef, I think it would be with the Indianapolis Colts franchise more than the Indianapolis Colts fans.

The Indianapolis Colts website lists not only the record, but the historical events of the Baltimore Colts. To me, that's no different than a guy who abandons his young child and has no further involvement with him... until, years later the when the kid makes it big. Then the proud papa is right there to bask in the glory.

With 23 years of history, records, and memories of their own I would doubt that many Indianapolis Colts fans would be brazen enough to stake any claim to the pre-Indy history of the francise. Obviously it's too late now, but I'd wager that if they could do it again, most of them would choose to leave the Colts name and logo in Baltimore. After all, their city is known for its historic auto race...not for the second leg of horse racing's Triple Crown.

Besides, the closest thing to Diner that you're likely to find in Indianapolis is a Johnny Rocket franchise at the local mall.

The memories belong to the Baltimore fans.

The Colts belong to Mr. Irsay.

PatsFan09 on 01-10-2007 at 07:01 AM said:
Well, according to most Indy fans, it doesn't matter what you say about this issue, you're whining if you support Baltimore fans about it.

Well, yeah... it IS whining, when its over 20 flippin years later. My God... how long are some going to carry this out? In addition... it was Robert Irsay who took the team out of Baltimore, not Jim. I am only 31 years old... I don't care about the Baltimore Colts and the fact that I am getting threatened or harrassed over something that isn't within my control, is a bit childish.

However... how many business men do you know that forks out millions to own that business, would sit still for a City attempting to get an eminent domain order passed, to seize that business from him? I don't know any successful people that would do that. The fans want to cry over losing the team... but the fact remains that the whole reason the negotiations even started there in the first place, was because of lack of fan support. They were only filling up a 1/4 of the stadium for their games and the building itself was falling apart. Baltimore didn't want to do anything about it, so when Robert went shopping elsewhere, they tried to bully him through the courts to take HIS property.

I would have done the same damn thing. If the fans want to whine and cry about something... maybe they should take a look at their city, but certainly not us Indianapolis Colts fans. Not when their city turned around and did the same thing to Cleveland.

Back