Concussions and the NFL

yackittysacks

Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/calvin-johnsons-concussion-tale-is-pretty-scary-001155446.html

Attached is a story Calvin Johnson told about his playing days in the NFL, the concussions he suffered, the pain killers that are given out and so on. Pretty crazy to read a story like this. Can the NFL continue like this? Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the NFL as we know it? When you see someone like CJ leave the game because of the risks, at the age of 30, will we see others? I see the NFL as the king of all pro leagues. I also see the NFL dropping from the ranks. There is only one way to go for the league and it's down. I have a feeling the NFL as we know it will come crumbling down before too long. What are your thoughts?

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with your conclusion, but we might disagree on the root cause.

The issue isn't concussion, or CTE, or injury or painkillers.

It's short sighted greed.

The owners, ours included, know the risks and problems associated with playing this game and have chosen to actively hide them, until they can't be hidden and then to claim the risks are known to the players. Almost every Sunday, we cheer on our local tobacco company.

The NFL will fall, but it will take a while, probably a generation. Eventually parents will just say no, kids will find other avenues and the pool of talent will run dry, but it will take 25 years.

Nothing new. Business as usual for the NFL. League will be lucky if it's around in 20-25 years. I think you'll see guys take after Gronk and others in that they'll be saving their game checks and money they make from the games. And live off endorsements etc. Not everyone is fortunate enough to do that but I see players changing it up.

Nowadays with social media and 24/7 news the end result of 10-15 year football career can be seen up close and personal. Not being able to pick up and play with you're kids at 35 because you don't have you're fix right then. Dying at 55. Forgetting people's names you've known forever.

Also and I believe this a big deal, guys simply do not love the game like the did before. The game isn't about fundamentals or technique anymore. It's about talent and measurables. You don't even need to play football before entering the pros. If you're big and fast that's more than half the battle.

If they are smart and an average talent, they should do ok and be able to retire byy age 30 and move into a less violent profession.

I expect we will see more people following this path in the next few years.

Back