Etymonline Fun

@Big/Sky/Fly good stuff! Be back tonight or tomorrow to add some that may not be as X rated as yours

@HSanders as a fellow English major, we gotta get to work in this thread.
This is my new side hobby…breaking down root words is fucking awesome!

As far as the X rated stuff, I never came up with them. ☕

@Big/Sky/Fly good stuff! Be back tonight or tomorrow to add some that may not be as X rated as yours

@HSanders as a fellow English major, we gotta get to work in this thread.
i adore breaking down words. when i was in h.s. my english class studied latin and greek roots,prefixes,suffixes,etc. i knew how to take almost any word imported from latin/greek and figure out what it meant(which were our tests on the material). it was one of my favorite things ever in school besides science classes. that led me to discover my favorite thing later in college: linguistics. i was thinking about going into ai for a minute...fascinating. i would always ask for a copy of the o. e.d. for a present (the multi volume one). never got it though.i literally just ordered latin/greek root books from amazon because i was so pissed i didn't save that one from h.s.

tl;dr yasss...i am excited to participate! 😄

i adore breaking down words. when i was in h.s. my english class studied latin and greek roots,prefixes,suffixes,etc. i knew how to take almost any word imported from latin/greek and figure out what it meant(which were our tests on the material). it was one of my favorite things ever in school besides science classes. that led me to discover my favorite thing later in college: linguistics. i was thinking about going into ai for a minute...fascinating. i would always ask for a copy of the o. e.d. for a present (the multi volume one). never got it though.i literally just ordered latin/greek root books from amazon because i was so pissed i didn't save that one from h.s.

tl;dr yasss...i am excited to participate! 😄

I took 6 years of Latin. It made sense to me to try to master a language I would never speak, LOL.

Latin is the most useful language to fully understanding the clusterfuck that is the English language.

This should be fun....for a couple people at most. :)

Back