Fantasy Football Question!

Chuck.U.Farley

Reaction score
I joined a 50 dollar buy in league and i have a question and need to know if this is normal. This guy i work with is the league comish and is a team owner but every time someone wants to do a trade he comes back saying its lob sided. Now seeing as we paid to join this league with him in control of the final say on trades we do not actually own anything. He says he is protecting the integrity of the league but the way i see it is we are not children and should be able to know if the trade we are instigating is gonna work for us. Maybe Im being silly a little but like i said he has something to lose if i trade for a player that could beat his team down the road. Now I do not know how the comish spot usually works so any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Not a fantasy football player, but it seems like anyone involved as a participant should not be the one with veto power over elements the game. Total conflict of interest.

Besides if two parties agree what's the prob? You don't see Goodell stepping in with his two cents everytime a trade goes down.

I would tell this DB either he has no say over trades which don't involve him or you want your fifty bucks back.

And it's "lop-sided", fyi.

Besides if two parties agree what's the prob?

Two players colluding to stock one team with super stars and the other with dregs. Then splitting the cash after the fact.

I'm commish of a 12 team league and have the authority to veto. Only did it once in 13 years as everyone is pretty fair about stuff and non playoff teams play for draft order the following year (so no one has incentive to tank). It's written into our rules that vetoed trades go before the 9 non involved parties for review, just to offset the power of the commish.

Almost all the leagues I've ever been a member of vote on trades as a group. The only duties the commish has is running the drafts and collecting the fees (if any).

Two players colluding to stock one team with super stars and the other with dregs. Then splitting the cash after the fact.

I'm commish of a 12 team league and have the authority to veto. Only did it once in 13 years as everyone is pretty fair about stuff and non playoff teams play for draft order the following year (so no one has incentive to tank). It's written into our rules that vetoed trades go before the 9 non involved parties for review, just to offset the power of the commish.

This seems legit. Put it to a vote for all those not involved.

I've been the league commish for two years now and haven't vetoed any trades no matter how lop-sided I think they are.

It seems as though he is overstepping his boundaries. While I can understand his reason of trying to maintain the integrity of the league... it seems as though he is going to veto any trade that he thinks may hurt him down the road.

He should simply encourage the other owners to vote on the trade and let the league police itself unless the trade is an obvious collusion.

*edit* I think your league should vote to get rid of him as league manager and let someone else take over. LM "powers" can be transferred to someone else.

Thanks guys for the replies and info i thought it was shady that he had the veto powers but others are starting to question it now. So maybe he will let the owners vote or he could be removed dont know yet thanks again.

As mentioned above, normally it is a vote of owners rather than the commissioner having sole power to accept or veto trades. In addition, even though their is a legitimate reason to disallow trades - collusion - it is rarely done. And in your case, the stakes aren't exactly high enough to make collusion worthwhile; even if it is a winner take all league with no fees for software, the two colluding parties are only going to net $250 a piece assuming it's a 12-team league. Hardly makes it worth the effort.

I'd suggest putting it up for vote right now, to see if the league wants to change from commish veto to a league-wide vote on vetoing trades - although I have a feeling your commissioner may try to refuse to relinquish that power.

Lesson learned is to discuss topics like this and get them agreed upon before the season starts.

Update

Ok this guy is not gonna act right he just done a huge trade with uneven value in his favor now what can i do to blow this league up. I know some of you have been in this situation also just wondering how to go around this B.S.

Start by kissing your $50 goodbye....

Is this a league of your friends? All strangers?

Is it a public league? Who is the host for the websight?

Are the other members as outraged as you are?

Any chance to remove the guy this year?

Any chance to stock one team to compete against him?

Probably don't want to "just walk away", then jackass will win the pot.

Best bet is to make his life miserable. Get the other league members to do TONS of trades that he has to approve. If you have a weekly deadline, do them right up until it. Hope that life interferes and he can't do his job and approve them. Sounds like he won't give two craps, but not a lot else you can do. Report him to the host sight to open up access perhaps? Not too likely...

Keep us posted.

I joined a 50 dollar buy in league and i have a question and need to know if this is normal. This guy i work with is the league comish and is a team owner but every time someone wants to do a trade he comes back saying its lob sided. Now seeing as we paid to join this league with him in control of the final say on trades we do not actually own anything. He says he is protecting the integrity of the league but the way i see it is we are not children and should be able to know if the trade we are instigating is gonna work for us. Maybe Im being silly a little but like i said he has something to lose if i trade for a player that could beat his team down the road. Now I do not know how the comish spot usually works so any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

I never play in those league. I always believed IN league Votes Rules. That way NO one person Can say if a trade is fair or Not.

You said this guy is somebody you work with. Is everyone else in the league co-workers too? Get everyone together and pull him aside at lunch or after work. I'm not suggesting physical violence, but with nine or ten against one you should be able to get your point across, and he relinquishes power. If need be you can make life miserable at work for him on a daily basis with comments that other co-workers and supervisors hear. At some point the money - $250 if he is splitting it with whomever he is in collusion with - will not be worth it to him.

Back