Freeney

TripleOption said:
You mean the one that already had three rings?

Or the one that has repeatedly choked?

Not to be argumentative, but I hate when Colts fans cling to individual statistics and accolades when they can never seem to reach, let alone win the Big One.

Hey, you left that one wide open for me!

Steve-o said:
Broke 6 fewer points than the team that lost to Denver. :thumb:

if the team that lost to denver was BLATENTLY handed back a game changing interception, they probably would have beaten denver.

what's the team that lost to the steelers excuse?

even the steeler's jerome bettis tried to help out.

how many heimlich maneuvers does the colts offense require for one playoff game?

stainlee said:
if the team that lost to denver was BLATENTLY handed back a game changing interception, they probably would have beaten denver.

what's the team that lost to the steelers excuse?

even the steeler's jerome bettis tried to help out.

how many heimlich maneuvers does the colts offense require for one playoff game?

So you blame the Colts offensive failures for that loss. So do I. (In fact, the last three playoff losses, while we're at it.)

But we're talking D here!

Steve-o said:
So you blame the Colts offensive failures for that loss. So do I. (In fact, the last three playoff losses, while we're at it.)

But we're talking D here!

oh, getting technical, eh? OK.

if the team that lost to denver didn't have an NFL-parity minded referee running from 3 blocks away, 3 days late, throwing a flag on the team that lost to denver's CB, after said CB was grabbed because he was in front of denver's WR in his route (not to mention the pass went about 15 feet over both of their heads), giving denver a 1st and goal on the 1 yard line, the team that lost to denver would have probably won.

Steve-o said:
Well, with a Colts D that ranked 2nd in the league in points allowed last season, but 11th in total yards, the "bend but don't break" moniker seems to fit THEM pretty well. ;)

Ah, but there's the devil in the details, isn't there? You're ignoring the volatility surrounding the average drive against the Colts D.

The Colts D was in the bottom half of the league in yards/play. They were dead-last by far in completion percentage against. They were 5th-worst in running yards/play against.

So how does that reconcile with what you've just posted? Here's the answer: big negative yardage plays and turnovers. The Colts were 4th in the league in forced fumbles, 7th in takeaways, and 5th in sacks, not to mention 4th in yards per sack.

So why would you even bother to pass against the 5th-worst running yards/play defense in the league? Because teams are forced to play catchup b/c of Indianapolis' prolific offense. And the stats back that up, and have for some years now.

That's not a "bend-but-don't-break" defense; that's a "swinging-from-the-heels, hope-I'm-ahead," gambling defense. :harumph:

It's also the reason why when the weather gets cold and the fields get muddy, slowing down the Colts O, the Colts D is exposed. Furthermore, it's why the Colts really blew their one big chance last year when they had HFA throughout the playoffs. Ouchy.

Simon was a tremendous addition to that D last year, really helping out on 1st and 2nd down. The question now is, who's going to replace the presence of Triplett and Thornton?

stainlee said:
oh, getting technical, eh? OK.

if the team that lost to denver didn't have an NFL-parity minded referee running from 3 blocks away, 3 days late, throwing a flag on the team that lost to denver's CB, after said CB was grabbed because he was in front of denver's WR in his route (not to mention the pass went about 15 feet over both of their heads), giving denver a 1st and goal on the 1 yard line, the team that lost to denver would have probably won.

You sounded like a Colts fan there. "If Nick Harper's wife hadn't stabbed him the night before..." :thumb:

Wandering Athol said:
So how does that reconcile with what you've just posted? Here's the answer: big negative yardage plays and turnovers. The Colts were 4th in the league in forced fumbles, 7th in takeaways, and 5th in sacks, not to mention 4th in yards per sack.

Easily. Pretty good red zone D.

Simon was a tremendous addition to that D last year, really helping out on 1st and 2nd down. The question now is, who's going to replace the presence of Triplett and Thornton?

I'm not really worried about Triplett. Raheem Brock has moved inside full time, and he's a better player than Triplett. Triplett has had one decent year (contract year), otherwise, he'd have disappeared without any discussion.

Thornton will be more difficult to replace, but far from impossible. Gardner's got the talent to be better than Thornton, and only time will tell.

Steve-o said:
You sounded like a Colts fan there. "If Nick Harper's wife hadn't stabbed him the night before..." :thumb:

ouch! that hurt.

but you're right. i did sound like one of them.

time to wash my keyboard out with circuit cleaner.

Steve-o said:
Easily. Pretty good red zone D.

Hah! :LOL:

The Colts D was only a little better than average last season when it came to points allowed per possession in red zone (4.38 points/possession). However, they were 4th-best in least amount of times an opponent got into the red zone. Your argument is specious. The Colts' D is predicated on the big play.

I'm not really worried about Triplett. Raheem Brock has moved inside full time, and he's a better player than Triplett. Triplett has had one decent year (contract year), otherwise, he'd have disappeared without any discussion.

Thornton will be more difficult to replace, but far from impossible. Gardner's got the talent to be better than Thornton, and only time will tell.

Moving the undersized Brock inside has made Mathis, extremely undersized, the de-facto starting left DE. I can't wait to see how that'll work against a team like the Pats in a 2 TE set.

Gardner's first got to worry about staying on the field. He's missed 10 games in the past 2 seasons in limited action. Only then can you even begin to evaluate his abilities as a starting LB.

Hawg73 said:

I don't like the Colts much, but when I'm watching their D in a neutral game-- I can't take my eyes off the guy. Watching him destroy Jonathan Ogden was one of the most impressive single performances I've ever seen in the NFL. Ogden is one of the most dominant OTs of the last 10 years and Freeney made him look like Brandon Gorin.

Did you happen to catch the Miami/Syracuse game back in 2001?

Freeney went into the game with 16.5 sacks on the season (he finished with 17.5), and talking sh*t about how he wanted to make his first million off of Bryant McKinnie.

McKinnie held him to no sacks AND tackles. It was the only game all year that Freeney did not have a sack.

Freeney did get some measure of revenge a few years later in the NFL, when he had 2 sacks vs Minnesota. On one, he guessed right and jumped the snap count. On the other, he beat McKinnie with a spin move.

"He's the cornerstone of a defense which has become a foundation to a dynasty."

How apropos: Seymour voted hands-down by NFL analysts as the top defensive lineman in the league:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/2006-05-31-seymour-sw_x.htm?csp=34
In a team-oriented game such as football, narrowing down the best players at each position can be tough. Many times, players shine because of a coach's system, or because so many good players surround him.

But New England Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour is the rare player whom experts recognize despite the lack of gaudy individual numbers. But then again, a trio of Lombardi trophies can speak for itself.

[click above-link to continue]

-------------------------------------------

Other defensive linemen receiving consideration: Freeney (IND), Stroud (JAX), Coleman (ATL), Peppers (CAR), Rogers (DET), and J Williams (SD).

Outside of Brady and BB, I honestly believe Seymour, if he can play the next four years sans major injury, is the only remaining shoo-in candidate from the Pats' championships (I reserve the right to change my mind at any time)....and the guy's only 26. woohoo

Re: "He's the cornerstone of a defense which has become a foundation to a dynasty."

Wandering Athol said:
How apropos: Seymour voted hands-down by NFL analysts as the top defensive lineman in the league:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/2006-05-31-seymour-sw_x.htm?csp=34
In a team-oriented game such as football, narrowing down the best players at each position can be tough. Many times, players shine because of a coach's system, or because so many good players surround him.

But New England Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour is the rare player whom experts recognize despite the lack of gaudy individual numbers. But then again, a trio of Lombardi trophies can speak for itself.

[click above-link to continue]

nice article WA.

here's to hoping mr polian signs mr one dimensional to 8 to 12 million a year.

-------------------------------------------

Other defensive linemen receiving consideration: Freeney (IND), Stroud (JAX), Coleman (ATL), Peppers (CAR), Rogers (DET), and J Williams (SD).

Outside of Brady and BB, I honestly believe Seymour, if he can play the next four years sans major injury, is the only remaining shoo-in candidate from the Pats' championships (I reserve the right to change my mind at any time)....and the guy's only 26. woohoo

It's much like the QB debate. Our teams have the two best QBs in the game and, arguably, the two best DL in the game. A decade ago, we would have been arguing over who one team would be taking with the #1 pick in the draft, and who the other would be taking with #2. Not a bad predicament we're in now.

Steve-o said:
It's much like the QB debate. Our teams have the two best QBs in the game and, arguably, the two best DL in the game. A decade ago, we would have been arguing over who one team would be taking with the #1 pick in the draft, and who the other would be taking with #2. Not a bad predicament we're in now.

and new england has the better of both, IMHO. ;)

but i do agree with you steve-o. its much better discussing (arguing? :shrug: ) things as they are now.

anyone remember the 1981 season that came down to the last game of the year between the pats and balt. colts playing for the #1 draft pick.

it was referred to as the toilet bowl. :)

the colts won, by the way.

stainlee said:
and new england has the better of both, IMHO. ;)

but i do agree with you steve-o. its much better discussing (arguing? :shrug: ) things as they are now.

anyone remember the 1981 season that came down to the last game of the year between the pats and balt. colts playing for the #1 draft pick.

it was referred to as the toilet bowl. :)

the colts won, by the way.

The Pats defintely lost. Ken Sims is like a double whammy.

h0c2000 said:
The Pats defintely lost. Ken Sims is like a double whammy.
What a waste he was. I think the only reason he made the team was because he was the number 1 pick in the draft.

BTW, you are right Steve-o, times are much better now!!!
:thumb:
________
roor bongs

Steve-o said:

What? Figgering you lost the DE debate so know you wanna shift the descussion over to QBs?

How Coltian of you.

;)

Back