Furnace replacement: Oil vs. Gas

The*Big*Lebowski

HUMAN PARAQUAT
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone out there is using a gas furnace to heat their home. I currently have a 30+ year old Oil Furnace. Forced hot air. It is beyond being on its last legs and last check was running at 63% efficiency. Basically I am burning oil and money at the same time.

I have had both the oil company and gas company (I have gas Stove and hot water) come out and give me estimates. They were fairly close in price for the 80% efficient furnaces, gas company was slightly cheaper at about $3200.

My question is, is the price of gas that much cheaper that I should seriously consider the switch? I have no idea how to estimate what my cost of heating will be. Right now my gas bill is barely $40 a month since it's only used for the stove and hot water.

Anyone ever converted and if so, was it worth it?

You're going to pay an assload of money no matter what system you choose. Personally, I would go with gas due to the clean emissions and not having to worry about fillups. Its all on what you prefer, really, because it isnt like youre going to save any money either way.

Generally, you get more BTU/dollar with oil and a faster recovery if you use it for hot water. Gas is cleaner, and you don't have to worry about an oil tank in your basement leaking or a burner puffback. Gas will be much quieter and wont need an expensive cleaning every year. What is really killing you is your heating system. Forced hot air is the one of the least efficient ways to heat your house, trailing only steam.

I am curious if anyone out there is using a gas furnace to heat their home. I currently have a 30+ year old Oil Furnace. Forced hot air. It is beyond being on its last legs and last check was running at 63% efficiency. Basically I am burning oil and money at the same time.

I have had both the oil company and gas company (I have gas Stove and hot water) come out and give me estimates. They were fairly close in price for the 80% efficient furnaces, gas company was slightly cheaper at about $3200.

My question is, is the price of gas that much cheaper that I should seriously consider the switch? I have no idea how to estimate what my cost of heating will be. Right now my gas bill is barely $40 a month since it's only used for the stove and hot water.

Anyone ever converted and if so, was it worth it?

LP/Nat gas burns much cleaner than oil. :thumb:
Don't go cheap on the install .. you get what you pay for.

Back when I lived in an area, where I needed a furnace (we have want are called "heat pumps" down here, they basically run the AC unit in reverse and put the hot air into the house for the one or two months you need it), I replaced my old gas furnace with a new gas one, and the efficentcy and size (the new furnace was about 1/3 the size of the one it replaced) was great.

I would go with the gas, HOWEVER, before you make the switch, look into what it is going to cost you to remove your oil tank. There are loads of regulations about these tanks. If you just have on in your basement, it shouldn't be that bad, but if you have an underground one, your screwed!

Get a good estimate for the removal of your oil tank, before you proceed. But in all, my new furnace was a great selling point when I sold the house, an upgrade like that, will always pay for itself in the end.

Good Luck

Back