Gilbert Gottleib Fired by Aflac

I thought GG was funny when I was 5 or 6. Evidently, he's a real 'comic's comic' in that he makes professional comedians laugh and he writes a lot of their schticks.

Anyway. I'd say I'd been more riveted and concerned than the average non-afflicted person over what's happened. I've watched/surfed 24 hours a day and understand the gravity and magnitude of what is occuring as much I as can.

The jokes were marginally funny, certainly poorly timed in that people are still in 'shocked and indignant mode'. Nazi, Challenger, etc. jokes abound. People really need to get off their high horses and realize that once they move on with THEIR personal life, every horror that has ever transpired eventually becomes popluar lexicon jokes.

Godfrey is a dying breed, working comic. For all he guessed/gambled, maybe he was thinking in this twitter/facebook/cyber new-age work, his jokes would be heralded. You know what? In a lot of dark corners of this new world, it is.

The reaction isn't moral repugnance, it's a tempered 'damn, that's cold'. Kids these days, I guess. But, in reality, it's hardly different than a reduced time-lapse that has occured in every other horrible event that eventually became popular jokes.

I don't like it. It hurts. But you'll all be making similar or worse jokes, or at least laughing about sometime in the future. You haven't made/laughed at any Godzilla jokes here-to-fore? I know I have. Personally, parts-per-billion, I'm 99.8% worried, concerned, scared. 0.2% laughing at stupid and good jokes.

"I'm sorry I'm a little late. I tried to get a direct flight from California without a stop at the Empire State Building". Gilbert Gottfried at the Hefner roast, one month after 9/11
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow. You would have thought that he would have been ass clowned back in 2001 by Hollywood.

After GG told the 9/11 joke at the roast the crowd started yelling "Too soon!" and GG proceeded to tell one of the filthiest versions of the aristocrats joke which I've ever heard, it was virtually unairable at the time. GG even remarked "I think they may need to clean this up for television." And the experience was described as being cathartic for everyone in the audience - this is what he does. He touches topics before the audience is comfortable and thereby provides a release. That is after all what comedy is - an escape. Godfried is one of the funniest comedians ever, some people are mistaking his humor as cruelty, that's not the intent - he tries to make us laugh in the face of pain, even if it's initially uncomfortable.

Classic bit to YouTube: Godfried doing his impression of Jerry Seinfeld performing "Hamlet."

Gottfried is an ass that I have never thought had the slightest bit of talent.

He's lucky I wasn't in his presence when he was spouting that crap or he would have found himself on his back with a broken jaw wondering what the hell just happened.

I don't think he's funny either. I think he's annoying. He and Dennis Miller should be locked up in a room together.

...and his name is Gilbert Gottfried...not that it really matters

I thought Aflac knew Gilbert Gotfired was a horrible/offensive comedian when they signed with him ... if not, it's their fault.

Yes but his loud voice was perfect for the Duck . No one listened too.

oops. Funny that it took four pages for anyone to notice. Or care.

So true. What I said a few pages back still applies, though. He's like the Tesla of comedy.

He's annoyingly semi-relevant, and not very entertaining in his own right. People not only won't appreciate him now, they won't even know his effect until it's time to acknowlege him. He's a dirty genius in a convoluted time.

Back