Horrific soccer tragedy - Brazilian Team crashes

Read about this earlier. Truly tragic. This team was supposed to be on cinderella type run and were about to play the final of the South American version of the Champions League of sorts only for this to happen. Terrible.

Sad story for sure. Crazy to think that they were supposed to be on a different flight. Bumped for what ever reason, and landed on the doomed flight. That really sucks. I bet whomever is responsible for bumping them feels pretty shitty. To be honest, I'm surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

When I read this this AM I immediately thought of the US figure skating team crash in "61 and the Evansville Basketball Team crash in '77.

Sad memories.

BostonTim

Fate is a fickle mother****er. Things like this always remind me: what did the teacher who came in second to Christa McAuliffe feel like? To be that close to space and lose out, he/she was probably bitterly unhappy the day Challenger lifted off; a few minutes later, what the hell did they feel? Happy? Relieved? Horrified? All of it? My wife's brother knew a guy in Cantor Fitzgerald who, IIRC, called out on 9/11 to play hooky and take in a round of golf.

The four major pro leagues in the US all have contingency plans in the case of a tragic event.

http://www.espn.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html

National Basketball Association

If a disaster occurs in which five or more players die or are dismembered, the league will hold a Disaster Draft to replace the individuals who were lost. Teams unaffected by the disaster each would be allowed to protect five players.

National Football League

In a "near disaster," in which fewer than 15 players are killed or lost for the season, teams would be required to play out the season but would receive priority on all waiver claims.

In a "disaster," in which 15 or more players are killed or lost for the season, the commissioner decides whether the team will continue its season. If it does, the "near disaster" plan would kick in. If not, a restocking draft would take place in the offseason and the team would get the No. 1 pick in that year's NFL draft.

National Hockey League

If an accident occurs resulting in the death or disability of five or more active players, the club would be allowed to restock its roster by buying players from other teams using money from an indemnity insurance policy.

Once the disabled club returns to a playing strength of one goalkeeper and 14 players (NHL rosters regularly have 20 active players), the Emergency Rehabilitation Draft can be enacted to finish the re-stocking process. Each club will be able to protect one goalkeeper and 10 position players and the disabled club will draft from the remaining pool of talent.

Teams that lost a player in the first phase of the ERP are exempt from losing a player in the draft.

Major League Baseball

Major League Baseball declined to release information regarding its contingency plan.

Fate is a fickle mother****er. Things like this always remind me: what did the teacher who came in second to Christa McAuliffe feel like? To be that close to space and lose out, he/she was probably bitterly unhappy the day Challenger lifted off; a few minutes later, what the hell did they feel? Happy? Relieved? Horrified? All of it? My wife's brother knew a guy in Cantor Fitzgerald who, IIRC, called out on 9/11 to play hooky and take in a round of golf.

Yes, my sister worked in Manhattan at that time and would have been getting off a train at the WTC station that morning at the time of the attacks. She had a toothache and went to the dentist instead.

The four major pro leagues in the US all have contingency plans in the case of a tragic event.

http://www.espn.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html

Patriots official Twitter account takes former NFL executive to task over insensitive remarks about Brazilian soccer team killed in plane crash

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td style="text-transform:none; text-align:right;">11.30.16 at 10:43 am ET</td> </tr> </tbody></table> By John Tomase
Former NFL executive Joe Browne recently retired after 50 years in the league office, but the Patriots are keeping their eyes on him.
On Tuesday, Brown tweeted — and then deleted — about the deadly plane crash that virtually wiped out Chapecoense, an inspirational Brazilian soccer team.
“NFL club partnership so strong that if there were tragedy similar to Brazilian soccer crash other NFL clubs would restock affected team,” Browne tweeted from his account, @JBeonTheHill.
The Patriots official twitter account immediately fired back, which caused Browne to delete the tweet in question and issue an apology for his “ill-timed and poorly worded” observations.
New England Patriots Verified account ‏<s>@</s>Patriots

.<s>@</s>JBeonTheHill Poor choice of words & disrespectful to all who lost lives. Players are not stock; they're the most important people in NFL.

For those wondering, Comcast’s Tom Curran noted that Browne was no favorite of the Patriots for his perceived bias against the team, and furthermore suggested that rebuking him so publicly via the team’s official Twitter account would not have been done without ownership approval, which begs an obvious question:
Does the Pats exploiting the occasion of a tragedy to grind an axe with one of their many enemies in the league office really give them the high ground on this issue? Absolutely.

They were in a holding pattern from what I understand. In order to jettison unneeded fuel they just get rid of it through fuel vents in the wings and they usually do it at altitude. Someone screwed the pooch on this one.

They were in a holding pattern from what I understand. In order to jettison unneeded fuel they just get rid of it through fuel vents in the wings and they usually do it at altitude. Someone screwed the pooch on this one.

Pretty bad scene for sure.

From what I hear the destination was 1900 miles from departure, which is at the very end of the range for that aircraft. Anything remotely wrong with the plane + low on fuel + South American terrain = recipe for disaster.

Back