How did this ship get turned around???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How did this ship get turned around???

Hawg73 said:
ItsGood_ItsGood said:
Um...does Fred Smerlas count? Seriously.

Yes, he does.

All the way to ten.

Damn right. Freddie's not the greatest speaker, but he knows football. He's a HOF'er in my book

I look at the season from the defensive side as two separate halves: pre-BYE and post-BYE.

Two things in particular SAVED this season.
1) Bruschi's return.
2) Vrabel's move to inside linebacker.

End of story. :harumph:

Seymour's return, Hobb's emergence, Hawkin's stability, Wilfork's consistency, Colvin's breakout, and Mangini's aggressiveness, would be essentially meaningless if this team didn't solve its problem at ILB.

Find me a team with ILBs that can't tackle, can't fill lanes, can't shed blocks, and can't make on-the-fly adjustments, and I'll show you a team that has ZERO chance of going all the way. ESPECIALLY in the 3-4 scheme, where the LBs have to be the stat guys.

Why? :shrug: Because somewhere along the road to the SB, you will encounter a team with a decent enough running game who will simply run it down your throat, control TOP, and once you've committed to 8 men-in-the-box, throw play-action deep. See SD, Atl, Den in Weeks 4, 5, & 6. The Bills tried the same gameplan in Week 8 and should have won. The Colts, the same in Week 9, and won. Miami tried it in Week 10, but by this time Vrabel and Bruschi had begun to settle in, Seymour came back, and the whole D began to stabilize. Miami passed well against the Pats, but sustaining drives relying on the passing games is both difficult and risky. The only game that mattered that they've lost since then was at KC, and I put the blame for that one as much (if not more) on the Pats O as the D.

C Brown and Biesel combo, Weeks 1-7: 10-1/2 tackles/game.
Vrabel and Bruschi since: almost 14 tackles/game. :clap:

That might not seem like much, but the NFL, like life, is often won & lost at the margin, and getting those extra 3-1/2 tackles/game (in the holes as opposed to 4-5 yards downfield) left the other guys on the D with the peace of mind to concentrate on their jobs, not someone elses. Moving Vrabel also freed up reps for Colvin which immediately paid off, as Colvin has made a big play in EVERY game since sans New Orleans and Indy (in which he recorded 9 tackles). :toast:

Want to thank someone for the first round playoff win and the hope of a couple more? :bow: Thank Bruschi for showing the courage and determination to come back this year, and Belichick and Mangini for having the smarts to realize what wasn't working and making the proper adjustments. :thumb:

:patriots:

Re: Re: Re: How did this ship get turned around???

Spinal Tap said:
Would anyone with a brain like to comment???

I only have half a brain but even I know that Indy is gonna lose to the Pits.

That fast track inside the dome is just going to enable Fast Willey to run even faster. Burgermeister will only throw passes to keep Indy's "D" honest.

As for Pits "D", they're going to play like the Pats have done in previous playoffs, namely hard hitting, smash-mouth style football. Edge ain't gonna be able to run and the receivers will develop their yearly short-arm syndrome.

Re: Re: Re: How did this ship get turned around???

Spinal Tap said:
Would anyone with a brain like to comment???

ROFL

Hmm, wish I'd have seen that myself before I replied. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: How did this ship get turned around???

ItsGood_ItsGood said:
Um...does Fred Smerlas count? Seriously.

Smerlas plays a character on TV & radio; the beer guzzlin' cigar smokin' Harley ridin' Red baitin' red-meat eatin' redneck type. But he's great to listen to when he gives insight into how NFL defenses operate.

Sunday night on Ch. 7, he talked about how once people settled into their positions (I think he was referring to Hobbs, Hawkins and the like) the Pats were able to start disguising coverages. Prior to that, and he mentioned the KC game in particular as a turning point, BB and EM were stuck giving very vanilla looks. But by having the ability to show a Cover-2 and then turn it into Cover-4 or a Man-blitz right before the snap, they've been able to throw QBs off balance and make it tough once again for Offensive Coordinators to give their teams any reliable pre-snap reads.

Maybe it's just because I love listening to Belichick/Brady suck ups like me, but I could listen to Smerlas talk about defense and line play all day. And the look on Ron Borges' face when Freddy was predicting not just a win, but a big win next Saturday was priceless.

IG, I'm with you on this one. I think Smerlas is one of the best pure football analysists in this area. Sure he plays an oaf that just picks the Pats by 30 points every week, but his knowledge is second to none.......and that includes Deossie.

Back