How is it legal to drink on a party Bus, but illegal to drink in an RV?

Mr. Happy Sock

I bring absolutely nothing to the table
Reaction score
Someone please explain why one is legal and one is illegal.

I recently bought an RV, and was planning on taking a trip to a friends house with some family and friends. I called the Mass State police for clarification, and they told me that any kind of open container in the RV is illegal and that the driver would be held accountable.

I explained that I would be driving and not drinking, but that doesn't matter- It would be my ass (Even being completely sober) if a cop pulled me over and booze was flowing in the back.

I'm curious/pissed off as to what the difference is? Can one of you please explain to me how this makes sense?

For clarification, I have a 25 foot self-contained RV; the type where the camper is attached to the front cab and with all the amenities

I can only see a difference in the driver (special license) is trained to handle more. Other than that I would pull the blinds and enjoy the ride

Class a or class c rig?

Class C.

Anyone with a regular license can drive it.

I know I'm not mr. popular with the family in not letting them drink, but with my luck ill get pulled over by the dick cop having a bad night and looking to take it out on someone. If it aint legal, then I aint gonna do it.

Class C.

Anyone with a regular license can drive it.

I know I'm not mr. popular with the family in not letting them drink, but with my luck ill get pulled over by the dick cop having a bad night and looking to take it out on someone. If it aint legal, then I aint gonna do it.

Tell them They wouldn't drink in cars, they don't drink in the RV. I used to carry extra RV antifreeze in case a kid needs to use the head so i could flush.

Because things like party buses and limousines are licensed public transportation conveyances and as such the state allows passengers to drink because the driver was hired to cart the drinkers around. Private vehicles are not licensed to allow drinking. The public conveyance lobby is stronger than the RV lobby.

It's only a $500.00 fine if your relatives want to chip in...

Because things like party buses and limousines are licensed public transportation conveyances and as such the state allows passengers to drink because the driver was hired to cart the drinkers around. Private vehicles are not licensed to allow drinking. The public conveyance lobby is stronger than the RV lobby.

It's only a $500.00 fine if your relatives want to chip in...

Is it a moving violation? misdemeanor? just a fine? Does it go on my driving record?

Is it a moving violation? misdemeanor? just a fine? Does it go on my driving record?

My research says:

"If this is charged as a criminal offense the penalty is a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $500. M.G.L. c. 90, §24I. Although the Registry of Motor Vehicles does not list this offense as surchargeable, there are license suspension consequences if you are a junior operator (under 18). "

Back