How's the fan conduct been at Gillette this season?

Steve1

Reaction score
I'm just curious. I was thinking about fan conduct in general, because there's a story out about an 8-year-old Jets fan in Cleveland Sunday who was tackled by a drunken Browns fan (in the parking lot), after the Browns lost in ot to the Jets.

A friend of mine took his 14-year-old to the Cincinatti/Pats openning game this year. The father is a Bengals fan, who I'm sure wore his Bengals team colored-jersey to the game. I talked to him a couple of days later, and he said he'd never bring his son to a game again at Gillette, the fans were so rude. I certainlly don't want to totally trash my bretheren Pats fans at the game....We all like making it a bit difficult for the opposing fans. Within reason.

Anyway, how do you folks treat the fans of opposing teams, when going to Gillette? I want them to have a bit of dignity, but I want to make it a bit difficult for them too. I'm definitely not into throwing things at people, or starting fights. But I've seen alot of thrown objects over the years at the stadium! (mostly at Foxboro Stadium....rolled up paper cups, peanuts, plastic bottles, and stuff like that).

edit...I think there's less stupid fan conduct the last few years, because the team is doing so well, and the new stadium made everybody fell a little bit better. Plus maybe security is better?

I'm just curious. I was thinking about fan conduct in general, because there's a story out about an 8-year-old Jets fan in Cleveland Sunday who was tackled by a drunken Browns fan (in the parking lot), after the Browns lost in ot to the Jets.

A friend of mine took his 14-year-old to the Cincinatti/Pats openning game this year. The father is a Bengals fan, who I'm sure wore his Bengals team colored-jersey to the game. I talked to him a couple of days later, and he said he'd never bring his son to a game again at Gillette, the fans were so rude. I certainlly don't want to totally trash my bretheren Pats fans at the game....We all like making it a bit difficult for the opposing fans. Within reason.

Anyway, how do you folks treat the fans of opposing teams, when going to Gillette? I want them to have a bit of dignity, but I want to make it a bit difficult for them too. I'm definitely not into throwing things at people, or starting fights. But I've seen alot of thrown objects over the years at the stadium! (mostly at Foxboro Stadium....rolled up paper cups, peanuts, plastic bottles, and stuff like that).

edit...I think there's less stupid fan conduct the last few years, because the team is doing so well, and the new stadium made everybody fell a little bit better. Plus maybe security is better?

You reap what you sow. If a visiting fan is cool, they are usually treated as such. If they act like a-holes, they are treated as such. I sit in the balcony and can't remember any visiting fan being attacked just because he's supporting the other team. I did experience that when I saw the Pats at the Jets a few years ago and won't go back there. Miami fans, on the other hand, were very cordial unless you were an a-hole (like many traveling Pats fans were that day for some reason)

It ain't like the old stadium though. I remember a game in 1994 where a LA Raiders fan had his pants taken off and lit on fire for cheering for his team. Jeesh.

I've got to disagree with the whole reap what you sow stuff. I've seen fans of other teams getting ripped while trying to ignore the taunts in my section from time to time. It's always some mid twenties guy with friends and a head full of beer.

Back