Its Official - Jones Franchised

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/fullarticle.sps?id=23397&type=general&bhcp=1

INDIANAPOLIS -- After failing to reach a contract agreement with free safety Tebucky Jones, the Patriots have designated their starting free safety and special teams maven as their Franchise Player.

The designation means that Jones is due the average salary of the top five players at his position, which for safeties, is $3.043 million guaranteed for one season with no signing bonus.

Undertaker #59 said:
http://www.patriots.com/news/fullarticle.sps?id=23397&type=general&bhcp=1

INDIANAPOLIS -- After failing to reach a contract agreement with free safety Tebucky Jones, the Patriots have designated their starting free safety and special teams maven as their Franchise Player.

The designation means that Jones is due the average salary of the top five players at his position, which for safeties, is $3.043 million guaranteed for one season with no signing bonus.

And he's gonna bitch about it and probably not show up for off season work outs! I wish I had his problem of being one of the top paid "employees" at my position and being guaranteed 3.043 mil next year!

I think the reason why tagged players get pissed is because they miss out on a big signing bonus for the year they are tagged... and who knows what the next season will bring.

Adam was tagged and they worked out a deal. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Jones.

Ballbustah said:
I think the reason why tagged players get pissed is because they miss out on a big signing bonus for the year they are tagged... and who knows what the next season will bring.

Adam was tagged and they worked out a deal. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Jones.

If another team betters the Pats' 3.043 million franchise number, can that other team also offer a signing bonus to Jones?

pookie said:
If another team betters the Pats' 3.043 million franchise number, can that other team also offer a signing bonus to Jones?

I'm really a little surprised by this move -- and more than a little disappointed. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the cap figure this year is $75M+/-. Jones now accounts for 4% of the Pats salary. Combined with Milloy's $6M the Pats safety's account for roughly 12% of their cap this year.

I don't have a problem paying Milloy $6M (with his signing bonuses etc) but I really have a problem giving anything to a guy that threatens the team. I would have rather they cut him to send a message. This is a safety with all of 38 tackles last season. I disagree strongly with that decision.

And anyone who even suggest that the Pats are treating him unfairly by tagging him had better be making at least $3M per year. Cut him and let him take his "attitude" somewhere else.

Sometimes it all works out for the better as in Vinatieri's case. At any rate it gives the Pats a little breathing room to make something happen.
I think Tebucky is an important part of the Pats team. He is pretty damn good in coverage with his size and speed plus he can really lay a hit on the opposition. He has a great work ethic and his special teams play is the icing on the cake.

IMHO the Pats would have been cutting off their nose in spite of their face if they just let him walk out of town.
If they did not tag him he would have been one of the most sought after FA DB's in all of football this spring.

Ballbustah said:
Sometimes it all works out for the better as in Vinatieri's case. At any rate it gives the Pats a little breathing room to make something happen.
I think Tebucky is an important part of the Pats team. He is pretty damn good in coverage with his size and speed plus he can really lay a hit on the opposition. He has a great work ethic and his special teams play is the icing on the cake.

IMHO the Pats would have been cutting off their nose in spite of their face if they just let him walk out of town.
If they did not tag him he would have been one of the most sought after FA DB's in all of football this spring.

My thoughts exactly. I think the Patriots are mostly buying some time to work out his contract, and this way he isn't going anywhere. They already need to sure up the corner, no use losing a saftey as well. Besides, he is the fastest guy on the team, one of the pure athletes on defense who knows the system.

Tebucky's response to the tag:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/052/sports/Wearing_franchise_tag_Jones_banking_on_deal+.shtml

in part:

''I want it done ASAP,'' said Jones. ''I'm going to be firm on what I want. What this does for me is that I basically know where I'm going to be playing next season. For one season. And really, I want to be here. I'm from New England. I love it here. I live in Connecticut, so I want to stay in the area.''

In the end, the Patriots understood the market. They understood Jones would have drawn interest from several teams and likely would have received close to his asking price - which is closer to $5 million per year than the $3 million-plus.

Asked whether the franchise label was close to the midpoint of what he was seeking, Jones said, ''That's the franchise tag. That's the one-year deal. I'm looking for a long-term deal.

''If there's a standard to be set for safety salaries, I want to set it.''

And his agent: http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/patriots/comb02212003.htm

in part:

Two weeks ago, he told Sportsline.com that he wouldn't ``take part'' in any of the Pats' offseason camps if he were franchised. However, Wichard did not echo those sentiments.

``It was all speculation when Tebucky said that,'' said Wichard. ``There's no sense in creating anything right now. Tebucky understands what it is. I understand what it is. I know that Bill Belichick thinks the world of him, and it's nice to know he thinks Tebucky is one of the top five safeties in the league. Now it's a matter of making sure he's paid like it.''

Undertaker #59 said:
Two weeks ago, he told Sportsline.com that he wouldn't "take part'' in any of the Pats' offseason camps if he were franchised. However, Wichard did not echo those sentiments.

"It was all speculation when Tebucky said that,'' said Wichard. "There's no sense in creating anything right now. Tebucky understands what it is. I understand what it is. I know that Bill Belichick thinks the world of him, and it's nice to know he thinks Tebucky is one of the top five safeties in the league. Now it's a matter of making sure he's paid like it.''

Speculation as to whether he was going to be tagged -- not as to whether he was a jackass for saying he would sit out camp if he was. Notice that he is not the one doing the talking anymore. His agent has smacked him in the head and put a gag order on him. "And if you do open it -- make sure it is to say how much you love it here in New England."

Now that he is clearly sporting a shiny new franchise tag look how the tune is changing. Two first round picks means he isn't going anywhere because he isn't worth two picks AND $3M. So if Tebucky wants to try to get more than just a flat three million he has to shut his cake hole.

Pay attention everyone: THAT is "posturing". The other stuff that came before it -- that was something else entirely.

Re: Re: Its Official - Jones Franchised

pookie said:
And he's gonna bitch about it and probably not show up for off season work outs! I wish I had his problem of being one of the top paid "employees" at my position and being guaranteed 3.043 mil next year!

I have no problem with him not showing up for workouts.

1. He's not under contract. Being designated a franchise player doesn't give him a contract. He must first sign the tender. Why should he be obligated to participate, if he's not being compensated for doing so?

2. Workouts are not mandatory, regardless of how the coaching staff views it. Of course, this point is made irrelevant by #1. Jones is not under contract, so he has no obligation or incentive to attend workouts.

That said...................

I don't think he's worth the franchise tag. He's not progressed to the point that he's worth it, and hasn't showed enough to think that he will be worth it. He's a helluva special teamer, but his mental mistakes on defense aren't worth $3 Million a year.

Tebucky says that IF there is a standard to be set, he wants to set it.

So you tell him that there is NO standard to be set. It has ALREADY been set, by much better players.

In other words, take yer $3 Million and shut yer c*ckholster.

pookie said:

Yup.

The franchise tag only gives some protection to the team. It is like the RFA tenders. Another team can sign an RFA to an offer sheet, but depending on where the player was drafted, they may owe draft compensation if the original team does not match the offer.

Similarly, any team can offer Tebucky a deal. But the Pats have more control with a franchise tag. If they decide that the offer is too much, and allow Jones to sign with another team, they are owed two first round draft picks.

By comparison, the transition tag only gives the original team the right of first refusal. There is no compensation if they choose not to match the offer.

That's what happened with Curtis Martin. He was transition tagged, and the Jets made an offer that the Pats could not match without committing cap suicide. The "poison pill" type contract that the Jets offered have since been banned.

The effect of the franchise tag on Tebucky, is that he can only realistically negotiate with the Pats. Teams may have been ready to overpay him in free agency, but not if they must also give up 2 first rounders in addition to a huge bonus/salary. The Pats can string him out, until teams have basically used up their cap room, and Jones will have to settle for less, or not play .

Re: Re: Re: Its Official - Jones Franchised

freak said:
I have no problem with him not showing up for workouts.

1. He's not under contract. Being designated a franchise player doesn't give him a contract. He must first sign the tender. Why should he be obligated to participate, if he's not being compensated for doing so?

I don't think he's worth the franchise tag. He's not progressed to the point that he's worth it, and hasn't showed enough to think that he will be worth it. He's a helluva special teamer, but his mental mistakes on defense aren't worth $3 Million a year.

I think it goes beyond the issue of compensation. He is after all being guaranteed to be at least one of the top five highest paid safeties in the league (six if the top five receive the identical salary) so compensation isn't part of the equation. And I don't really buy the argument that the "timing" of the compensation is the issue that he was having. His threat not to participate was not made due to the lack of a contract, it was made due to his perception that he was worth more money.

Is he worth two first round picks -- absolutely not. I'm not sure the Pats HAVE a player worth two first round picks -- and if they do it isn't Jones. Bledsoe generated one first round pick. (Granted they should have held out for more...but that is another issue.) The Pats received two fourth rounders for Glenn. Had he been a model citizen the most they would have gotten was a first and maybe a third or fourth.

Jones is not one of the top five safeties in the league. The tag serves only to force the Pats to either over-pay him for one year or over-pay him for more than one year. A better move would have been the transition tag. Top ten salary and one draft pick compensation are both perfectly acceptable when it comes to Tebucky. And if that means that some team signs him then the Pats would be saved from paying a top ten salary and they would get a first round pick. The Franchise tag was a poor decision on the part of the Pats.

Jones wouldn't be attending because he is not under contract. No agent in his right mind would advocate his player to participate without a contract. He is NOT guaranteed that salary unless he signs the one year franchise tender.

freak said:
Jones wouldn't be attending because he is not under contract. No agent in his right mind would advocate his player to participate without a contract. He is NOT guaranteed that salary unless he signs the one year franchise tender.

Give me a break freak. The guy says "IF HE IS TAGGED" he will not participate in offseason workouts and you keep making it about the contract. The statement was made in reaction to the threat of the tag. What the hell is with you anyway? Do you just contradict people because you think it makes you appear knowledgeable. I am addressing his motivation for making the remarks. I don't give F*** about whether he is contractually protected. That is a separate issue. Get a clue.

Temper, temper, moderator.

If he's tagged, he's not under contract. What don't you get about that?

He wants a long term deal. If he's tagged, he's not getting a long term deal.

The result is that he's not under contract, and thus is under no obligation, nor has any incentive to attend workouts.

NoRespect said:
What the hell is with you anyway? Do you just contradict people because you think it makes you appear knowledgeable.

This belongs on the irony thread.

Show me where I contradicted you. Oh, that's right, I didn't. I simply stated my OPINION as it related to something POOKIE said. I wasn't at all talking to you. It was YOU who just had to dispute what I said.

So perhaps I should ask what the hell is with YOU, anyway. Hmm? Are you not satisfied with knowing you are a jerk, and thus feel compelled to prove it?

:4321:

You are telling me that this was not directed at me?

freak said:

It followed my post and SEEMS to be a direct -- if not tangential --reply to my post...but you were talking to Pookie. I see.

It would be nice if just once you figured out the point of other people's arguments before going off on an irrelevant tangent for the purpose of turning the argument to something you are comfortable addressing. Other people here understand how to have an exchange of ideas. You live to "correct" other people so that you can impress them with your knowledge. You are constantly appending other people's posts with irrelevant -- or already stated -- information. The only reason you ever post anything is to prove how "intelligent" you are. That freak, is irony.

As for the word moderator "meaning" moderation or being analogous to the role of a "moderator" on a bulletin board -- that is just another concept that YOU don't get. :thumb:

Why did you leave KFFL freak? Because you were always right and everyone else just didn't GET that? It must suck being so smart that no one can ever understand the relevance of your replies to their own remarks.

Oops.

Was that immoderate? Get used to it.

freak said:
If he's tagged, he's not under contract. What don't you get about that?

He wants a long term deal. If he's tagged, he's not getting a long term deal.

The result is that he's not under contract, and thus is under no obligation, nor has any incentive to attend workouts.

What DID you understand about my post freak? It's a much smaller subset. And this was your reply to mine, remember?

NoRespect said:
You are telling me that this was not directed at me?

It followed my post and SEEMS to be a direct -- if not tangential --reply to my post...but you were talking to Pookie. I see.

You're not that smart, are you?

YOU QUOTED MY POST TO POOKIE.

In other words......

YOU contradicted MY post.

But I guess you're right, I started this. :rolleyes:

BTW.....I didn't leave KFFL. I am just as active there as ever.

The irony is you accusing me of only posting to contradict, when it was you who started this little flamefest, because you just had to contradict me.

I'm not going away, and I'll post what I please here. You're just gonna have to deal with it, moderator.

Don't get yer panties in a bunch because I had the gall to disagree with you, after you rambled on contradicting my post in response to pookie.

Take a deep breath, and maybe a timeout.

Back