JDNumbahz and LW's trip to Hawaii

The Dole Plantation. The in-laws toured it (FIL enjoyed it, MIL not so much I think, LOL), LW and I just went into the gift shop and food area. Um, they have a lot of... piineapple-flavored stuff.

The Polynesian Cultural Center. Think "Disneyland, if it were built on the cheap with nothing but huts and actors and operated by the Mormons". At first I didn't like it, but I enjoyed it more as the day went on. Interesting stuff, mostly about the various peoples' rituals and daily lives. The luau was, as expected, fairly bad food-wise (they always are), but they had a really nice entertainment show at the end of the night that was almost Broadway-like in it's production quality.

This is from a canoe parade on their canal, with each canoe representing a different island people.

Pretty much all looked like this. Nicely enough done, for something built in the 60s.

I took mostly video clips at the show, some good stuff with guys yelling and waving dangerous weaponry, and jumping over fire and stuff. Here's one of the few still shots, of some of the female types.

Despite the misleading name, we decided to climb Diamond Head anyway. We did it early in the morning, which I highly advise, 'cause it gets WAY too hot later on! The trail starts out paved, then goes to dirt, then goes to rock, then you climb 70 stairs, then you go through a low tunnel, then you climb 99 stairs, then you climb a metal spiral staircase, then you climb out the window of a pillbox from WWII. Fun!

once again WHY no pics of the barely clothed men!!!!

(huff, puff) ...and higher... (wiping sweat)

Man, I'm getting tired again just looking at these...

As a tall person, I can tell you that this tunnel really SUCKED. Dark and low is not the way to go when you're 6'2" and claustrophobic...

The second large flight of stairs. I saw people actually JOGGING up these. One was an attractive Asian woman. As she went by, I couldn't help but notice her backside. :rolleyes: While shapely and attractive... she had cellulite! I told LW, "What the #$&#?!?!? This chick is RUNNING UP DIAMOND HEAD and STILL has cellulite?!? If SHE'S like that, what chance do WE have? I'm going back to the hotel to eat some Doritos..." ROFL

The spiral stairs. Apparently, from the looks of it, the whole thing was built by the military for WWII.

Not to mention it is at an incline and you have no clue until you start walking it.

Climbing out the window of the pillbox.... must've been a whopping two feet of clearance. More humorous action for the tall guy to contort himself around!

Oh, yeah, in that last picture that big bowl depression IS the crater. You don't realize until you're up there how big it is, and that you've actually already parked in the crater (the visitor's center is in the middle) and you're simply walking up the tallest ridge on one side to get a view.

Looking back towards the south coast, Waikiki and Honolulu. You can see another pillbox on a ridge; the public isn't allowed to walk out to that one.

Back