JDNumbahz and LW's trip to Hawaii

Closer view. (Sorry, of the mountain in the distance, not the redhead in the foreground.)

My father-in-law and I drove up Haleakala to see the crater. It was a long, steep road with hairpin turns. We drove into the clouds, then came out of the clouds, and eventually got to the peak, which is around 10,000 feet high. The crater is 7 miles across and 2 miles wide and around half a mile deep. It felt like being on Mars. It was around 40 degrees colder at the top, and the wind was whipping ferociously. (The only thing that could make one feel more insignificant would be to bask in the radiant presence of Tedy Bruschi.)

The left.

I'm talking, like, Denver Broncos players would be begging for oxygen tanks, we were so high up.

We were so high up, I think I heard an angel fart.

Of course, I was worried about the 80-year-old father-in-law, who had no problems at all. On the other hand, the fat-ass out-of-shape photographer was huffing and puffing like a steam locomotive and thought he was gonna die...

There is a plant called silversword that only grows on the slopes of Haleakala. How's that for specific? I mean, it's not even like it only grows on Maui, or only grows high up: it's only found at the top of this one specific volcano.

Sunrise, next morning (still docked in Maui).

Iao Valley from the ship at sunrise.

Haleakala from the ship at sunrise.

I really liked how the rising and setting sun would totally change the light, giving me pictures of the same thing with different looks to them. (Hence the reason I took, uh, 900 pictures.)

Just one more, 'cause I know that LW loves it when I post multiple pics of the same thing. :)

Okay, I lied, it was two more. :D Sue me.

There's a town on the northeast shore called Hana. The only thing remarkable about it is that there's only one road to it, and one road from it. This is called, surprisingly, the Road to Hana. Go figure. It's a twisty, turny, steep, mountain-hugging road, which narrows to one lane at old bridges, where you can't see what's coming around the corner. Supposedly there are pretty waterfalls to see. I didn't see any pretty waterfalls, because I was too busy crapping my pants and white-knuckling the steering wheel for two hours. And we only went halfway!

From the Road to Hana. This is the Water Next To The Road To Hana.

Back