Kick Coverage.

shirtsleeve

what's takin?
Reaction score
So what was up with the kickoff coverage team? Someone missing? Poor lane disipline. Getting washed out. 17 points off of those three returns. When Houston had to march the field, they scored 11...

Kick Coverage...

will get a few coaching pointers this week from BB. :coffee:

I didn't understand what was going on with the kick coverage either. I know they say D. Martin and M. Williams with Marquice Cole and Ebner back. I am gonna have to go back and re-watch them to see what it was exactly because, whatever it was, it SUCKED.

Gostkowski should have been called for Tripping on the 2nd long return since he put his leg out in an attempt to trip Manning.

The announcers mentioned before kickoff that BB had spent some time during the bye tinkering with ST's...Well, lets un-tinker this week, huh?

They were just godawful tonight. Manning basically every time he got a hold of the ball went off for 50+ yards.

First off, Houston should have been called for holding or illegal blocks in the back on BOTH the long returns. I am not surprised they weren't because the refs didn't call but one holding call on Houston all night..

On the first kick-off, (94 yard return) You had, from left to right:

Arrington, Bolden, Rivera, Ebner, White, Gostkowski, Slater, Koutivedes, McCourty, Wilson, Cole.

Bolden and Rivera both got blocked out.
Cole and Wilson ran too deep in their lanes and blocked themselves out.
Ebner got held by the guy he engaged.
Koutivedes seems to be the one who lost his lane assignment as, he seemed to be the one who Manning ran by. Slater might have also been out of position slightly.

On the 4th return, where Gost was called for the horse-collar, you had the following from left to right:

McCourty, Cole, Wilson, Koutivedes, Slater, Gostkowski, White, Ebner, Rivera, Bolden, Arrington.

On this one, Cole and Bolden are both held, allowing Manning to get by easily. However, Arrington also seemed to be out of his lane.

On the 65 yard return, from left to right, you had:
Arrington, Bolden, Cole, White, Slater, Gostkowski, Ebner, Koutivedes, Rivera, Wilson, McCourty

On this coverage, White and Slater switch lanes just prior to engaging. However, White goes down and effectively cuts off Rivera and Koutivedes from the play since they are right on top of him.

Ebner was illegally blocked in the back, knocking him down. This forces Slater to JUMP Ebner in an attempt to stay in the play. This is after Slater was also pushed from behind.

Cole seems to be out of his lane and is too close to Slater, not giving himself enough room to cut back towards Manning and this allows Manning to run by him.

Bolden didn't adjust at all on this play and over-ran it and took himself out. I was surprised that he stayed so far to the left despite the ball being kicked towards the opposite side of the field. I would have expected him to cut back behind Cole and Slater to help Arrington with contain.

There was ONE kick coverage that was done perfectly. The one that held Manning to just a 10 yard (or so) return. It was the same as the previous set-up, except that White and Slater swapped places to start and Ebner and Koutivedes swapped lanes just before hitting the blockers of Houston.

Thanks DaBruinz, so it was not so much as poor lane disipline but more confusion of assignment and taking themselves and each other out of the play. By one or two individuals in particular(Cole, White), but more than that in all...

Result of the tweaks?

My main concern was Ghost not booming it through the endzone like he normally does. I'll take the 20 every time and give up the chance to pin them if it means no game changing runbacks.

Regardless tho we need to shore that up before the Ravens come to town. Their returner's no joke.

Nota Bene: The Ravens led the NFL in Kick-off returns with 27.5 yards per return. Somebody BETTER fix this 4. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Back