Kings to kings level 2,or is that Kingsbury ?.

Prometheus 441

Reaction score
The other night,I was discussing the drafting of Kingsbury with
an unidentified football expert.I had wondered what the possible
significance of drafting another QB might be.I have limited info
about Kingsbury ,but what I have read seems to show he had a
solid college track record and shows some legit promise.So,why
was he drafted by the Pat's when we are so deep on QB Talent.

The first thought I admit was a conspiracy theroy.Is the injury
to Brady worse than Bellychuckle is letting on ?.Is he stcking the
deck in case Tom is not able to perform and Huard is shifted to
the # 1 slot ?.The more logical scenerio that came to mind was
that Davies is not progessing as much as Bill would like and the
plan is to send him off to greener pastures ?.It seems that we
would'nt bother drafting another QB to warm the bench unless
Bill thought he would have a use for him in the near future. I am
also begining to wonder if maybe Huard is getting itchy on the
bench and asking for his walking papers to get a chance to be a
starting QB else where.What are your thoughts on this,is there
something in this signing that I am missing ?

One theory being tossed around in the Boston papers was that the Pats have taken a page from Ron Wolf's MO up in Green Bay and feel you can never have enough young QBs.

Since they've had Favre at QB they've developed guys like Brunell, Aaron Brooks and Matt Hasselbeck. They are practically a league farm system for QBs and have moved them for some valuable draft picks, and just in case of injury......the fridge is stocked.

Kingsbury had a great college career but some poor post-season performances and workouts dropped him like a rock. We tend to put more value on a guys total track record. Xupposedly he has a real mediocre arm but so did Bob Griese and a bunch of other guys that had long careers in the league.

Prometheus441 said:
The other night,I was discussing the drafting of Kingsbury with
an unidentified football expert.I had wondered what the possible
significance of drafting another QB might be.I have limited info
about Kingsbury ,but what I have read seems to show he had a
solid college track record and shows some legit promise.So,why
was he drafted by the Pat's when we are so deep on QB Talent.

The first thought I admit was a conspiracy theroy.Is the injury
to Brady worse than Bellychuckle is letting on ?.Is he stcking the
deck in case Tom is not able to perform and Huard is shifted to
the # 1 slot ?.The more logical scenerio that came to mind was
plan is to send him off to greener pastures ?.It seems that we
would'nt bother drafting another QB to warm the bench unless
Bill thought he would have a use for him in the near future. I am
something in this signing that I am missing ?

Well, Pro---
Your theories both scare and intrigue me...
Firstly--Your theory that Brady's injury could be more serious than first reported, really frightens me... I would be pretty upset by that... Last I heard, (which wasn't too long ago), Brady said that he was about 80%... Given the positive spin that most athletes like to give on their status, that number might be a bit optimistic... Okay---I am still in frightened mode here...

But then, you bring up your second theory about Rohan Davey... After moving up in last year's draft, in order to secure picking him, it would be a pretty big disappointment to have had that all be for naught, but I could live with it... When I saw him at Training Camp last season and in pre-season games, he seemed to have a lot of raw talent... Perhaps he is just too raw for the NFL?... This scenario scares me much less than the one above...

Lastly, you bring up the idea that Damon Huard might be itching to get off the bench and have a shot at being a starter elsewhere... Earlier in the off-season, we had a pretty good thread going about our thoughts on Huard... Frankly, I think that he is one of the best back-ups in the league and is arguably better than some teams starters... If I recall correctly, his contract is up at the end of this season and I for one, hope that we keep him... Personally, I'd like to see him re-signed before this season is over... He's been with us for awhile, he knows our system like the back of his hand and he is a good guy... If he wants to try and start somewhere, then let's give him the opportunity to do so, HERE...
Yeah, you heard me correctly... I honestly believe that no one should be guaranteed their starting position, unless that it is earned... If Huard and Brady compete for the starting QB position and Huard prevails, then so be it... I am a staunch Brady supporter, but if he isn't back to 100% and/or Huard simply out-plays him, then give Huard the chance to prove himself as the starter...
I'm not trying to start some sort of "Quarterback controversy" here, I just think that EVERY position should be earned on this TEAM... Competition only brings out the best in every player and that is good for everyone, as well as the TEAM, in general...

So, as I said before--your theories are intriguing... I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say, as well...
BTW--Here's one more theory to throw into the mix--maybe we are just following Tampa Bay's lead and feel that we need to have SEVERAL QBs on the roster!! LOL! How many are they up to now? Six or so?! Wow!... Me-thinks that Rob Johnson should be afraid... very, very afraid... LMAO! :D

Prometheus441 said:
The more logical scenerio that came to mind was
plan is to send him off to greener pastures

I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to live next door to a huge LSU fan. I watched several of Rohan Davey's games. He's not impressive. He's too damn big and slow. His knee(s) are a mess and he throws with about the same accuracy that I do! I'd bet that Kingsbury has been drafted to bring competition to the 3rd string QB spot. His college number were HUGE! Davey may be on his way to getting voted off the island..... He's got the build of Dante Culpepper but not the talent.

Re: Re: Kings to kings level 2,or is that Kingsbury ?.

pookie said:
I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to live next door to a huge LSU fan. I watched several of Rohan Davey's games. He's not impressive. He's too damn big and slow. His knee(s) are a mess and he throws with about the same accuracy that I do! I'd bet that Kingsbury has been drafted to bring competition to the 3rd string QB spot. His college number were HUGE! Davey may be on his way to getting voted off the island..... He's got the build of Dante Culpepper but not the talent.

Well, Pook--
Of all of the possible scenarios, I like this one the best... And who knows?! Kingsbury just might be the next Tom Brady, eh?!... LOL! -Peg :)
p.s.---don't bring up the "Survivor" thread... You don't want to encourage Prometheus too much, especially now that he is a "Starter"... You just might create a monster (i.e. as in "Frankenstein--the Modern Prometheus"!!) YIKES!! :D
p.p.s.--thanks for the LSU inside scoop, too...

I am
something in this signing that I am missing ? [/B]

I thought maybe Huard was unhappy or BB was unhappy with him when they brought in two new QB's, Stafford and Kingsbury.
I think Huard is a lot better than most give him credit for, and I was frankly very surprised when Brady replaced Bledsoe in 01 in favor of Huard. In retro, it was definately the right choice, but I can't forget what Huard did to us some yrs back in replacing the injured Dan Marino. He spanked us.
Of course the other theory about Davy being a bust also could be true, he has an arm like an RPG launcher but does he have what it takes to be an NFL QB? I think of the three, Stafford, Davy and Kingsbury, Stafford would have to have the best shot of being here come regular season '03. Just my opinion, what say ye?

Good points on Davey.I tend to think he may be the one with the
target on him but its just a guess.He does have "raw talent" but
how would we ever develop it with not using him in actual game play .The mystry football expert and I had discussed how we felt
that Huard should be allowed to play more as to keep his actual game experience sharp.This being said,if Davies does have raw
talent then it will probably never be fully developed here.I also
like the theroy that we drafted Kingsbury as "money in the bank",
bring em in,shine him up and spit him out at profit.Sounds like good business to me.

I think Kingsbury and Stafford are brought on to add some competition beyond the number two spot. Huard's job is safe and I don't think he is in any danger of leaving as he is still under contract. Even next year, I don't see the Pats not resigning him as he is very good "value" right now and we know how the Pats like value. (As Peg mentioned we posted on this topic a while back. $655k was the minimum he could be paid per the CBA and according to Miguel he cap figure is $800k which is salary and bonus.)

The word on Kingsbury is that he played in a division that is very pass friendly. He put up some ridiculous numbers but that includes games played against teams like New Mexico so you have to take it with a grain of salt. He reportedly has a very quick release and good decision making, but weak arm and poor mobility. In a nutshell he is a good fit for a short passing system and he won't put too much pressure on your pass protection. In other words a Patriot.

I think Rohan is the bubble-boy. I never understood his selection and we moved up for him.

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/2003draft/profiles/quarterbacks/kliff_kingsbury.htm

If the Pats' QB situation remains stable next season (Brady stays healthy, plays well; Huard stays healthy, remains a top-notch backup) I would expect to see Huard move on after the season. It would be a simple matter of numbers. He will be a free agent, and will be worth more to certain teams than he would to the Pats. At that point, the Pats top priority would be in signing Woody to a new deal....and they may well have to resort to using the franchise tag to do so.
The Kingsbury pick makes a lot of sense to me. You need to have a couple of young qb's in the pipeline. The most successful formula for developing a qb in today's NFL seems to be to draft them in the middle or later rounds, at a time that the team does not have an immediate need for a new starting qb. That gives them a chance to spend their first year or two watching and learning. It takes at least that long to acquire any level of proficiency at reading NFL defenses. Guys who step into the starting position before they have had this time to learn the system generally end up hurting their team by throwing into coverage and/or hurting themselves by not recognizing the blitzing schemes. No matter how strong their arm may happen to be.
Just look at Brady and Pennington for 2 prime examples of a young qb being ready for the role when his opportunity came up. Ideally, Rohan Davey should be in that position now, and Kingsbury would be in that position a year or two down the road.
I couldn't believe that some of the Boston writers tried to make the case that drafting Kingsbury was somehow an indication that the staff was losing faith in Tom Brady. I would make the case that exactly the opposite is true. Tom Brady has been such a success that the team has decided to follow the same model in drafting and developing the qb position for the future.

dropKickMurphy said:
If the Pats' QB situation remains stable next season (Brady stays healthy, plays well; Huard stays healthy, remains a top-notch backup) I would expect to see Huard move on after the season. It would be a simple matter of numbers. He will be a free agent, and will be worth more to certain teams than he would to the Pats. At that point, the Pats top priority would be in signing Woody to a new deal....and they may well have to resort to using the franchise tag to do so.

...I couldn't believe that some of the Boston writers tried to make the case that drafting Kingsbury was somehow an indication that the staff was losing faith in Tom Brady. I would make the case that exactly the opposite is true. Tom Brady has been such a success that the team has decided to follow the same model in drafting and developing the qb position for the future.

I don't buy "Kingsbury for Brady" simply because the Pats never made drafting a QB a priority. I think BB isn't sold that he has a true third QB. Rohan didn't live up to expectations. Can you see the Pats putting Davey in during the regular season? Not a chance. He could be insurance against loosing Huard but I still don't see Huard drawing a lot of attention since he has seen so little starting time. If he starts this year...I expect him to do well and then I expect that Pats would have some suitors. I also then expect that we could have a bit of a controversy. I think he is easily as good as Brady in many ways. I like Brady's ability to come up big under pressure, but I like Huard's overall poise and his delivery. He throws a very catchable ball -- more so than Brady. Granted I have only seen him with the Fish and in preseason but if the guy can look OK running the anemic late 90's offense of the Fish you know he has to be good.

NoRespect said:
... Rohan didn't live up to expectations. Can you see the Pats putting Davey in during the regular season? Not a chance.....

I wouldn't judge anything on last year. I really believe that Belichick wanted Davey to spend the year watching and learning. Belichick did not use him in regular season games because he did not need to. Learning the intricacies of the team's offense, and learning to recognize defenses, is itself a full time job for a rookie qb. If Davey was nearly as successful in his educational rookie season as Tom Brady was, he will get the chance to move up on the depth charts.
Isn't Huard a free agent after this season? If so, forget about getting anything in trade for him. I don't see the Pats using the franchise tag on him (as they did with Tebuckey) for 2 reasons:
1) They would have to pay him the average salary of the 5 most highly paid quarterbacks.
2) The team will likely need to use the franchise tag on Damian Woody.
With the salary cap and free agency, you cannot keep every player. What you need to do to remain successful is to identify a core of talent; a group of players that are essential to the long term success of the team. Huard is nice asset to have on the team, but as long as the other young qb's develop according to plan, he will be expendible. Damian Woody is a pro-bowl offensive lineman just coming into his prime. Just as important, he appears to have the durability to stand up to the considerable rigors of battling at the line of scrimmage, which is an extremely valuable asset for an offensive lineman to possess. The way I see it, he clearly is a part of the core talent that the team needs to retain.

I think this talk that, Brady's injury is worst than being reported,typical New England area Paranioa, oh well it's true what they say paranioa self destroyer...:LOL: As far as R Davey goes, I am pretty sure his job is going to be safe and competing for the backup QB job, and most likely traded for value later... As far as Huard goes he can play but the NFL is always about a younger more upside player, so as far as Cliff K goes maybe they think he can be in the future a guy they can also have at Back up or trade for value later....... Last year they signed a QB as a free agent Major Applewhite, who they wanted to see if the could develope, so what they are doing here does not smack of fear but just trying to have young depth at every postion...:thumb:

Back