Larry Centers?

BuckWild

Sum Ergo Cogito
Reaction score
Buffalo has released him. He seems to be a good fit for the team, a pass catching fool.

Should we pursue him?

Can we afford him?

BuckWild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know his cap number from last year? Not that it may matter but he would be a good fit for us at the right price for a year or two.

I would love to see him come here.

How old is Larry Centers? Hasn't he spent countless seasons in Phoenix, of all places?

Hawg73 said:
Do you know his cap number from last year? Not that it may matter but he would be a good fit for us at the right price for a year or two.

I would love to see him come here.

I did some checking: Centers is small for a fullback and more of a receiver than a blocker. He is entering his 13th season. Given that there is not a lot out there in the way of talent he might be a good choice if he is willing to accept less money. His salary in '01 was around $1M according to the RedZone. All of the blocking backs remaining are pretty one-dimensional as well. It really comes down to what is perceived as the greater need, protection and blocking, or another target in the passing game. Ideally both but that sort of player no longer exists in free agency.

NoRespect said:
I did some checking: Centers is small for a fullback and more of a receiver than a blocker. He is entering his 13th season. Given that there is not a lot out there in the way of talent he might be a good choice if he is willing to accept less money. His salary in '01 was around $1M according to the RedZone. All of the blocking backs remaining are pretty one-dimensional as well. It really comes down to what is perceived as the greater need, protection and blocking, or another target in the passing game. Ideally both but that sort of player no longer exists in free agency.

Don't forget, the Pats wanted Ritchie Anderson to add a receiving threat in the backfield. Centers would seem to fit this need. I believe they could get him for the veteran minimum, which under the latest rules, would be 750K, but count just 450K under the cap. This may be a good pickup.

bideau said:
Don't forget, the Pats wanted Ritchie Anderson to add a receiving threat in the backfield. Centers would seem to fit this need. I believe they could get him for the veteran minimum, which under the latest rules, would be 750K, but count just 450K under the cap. This may be a good pickup.

The only thing that worries me is the blocking piece. Our running game was suspect enough last season as was the pass protection and now our decent blocking fullback is gone. The thought of adding a fullback for his pass catching ability is scary. That's why I was excited about that Ritchie guy from Oakland. He was a big guy like Edwards, loved his role as a blocker and can catch well too. Not to mention that he's an intelligent guy that happens to be half nuts! Oh well, he's gone too....onward Pats.

pookie said:
The only thing that worries me is the blocking piece. Our running game was suspect enough last season as was the pass protection and now our decent blocking fullback is gone. The thought of adding a fullback for his pass catching ability is scary. That's why I was excited about that Ritchie guy from Oakland. He was a big guy like Edwards, loved his role as a blocker and can catch well too. Not to mention that he's an intelligent guy that happens to be half nuts! Oh well, he's gone too....onward Pats.

I agree. The fact that New England showed interest in Anderson (but not enough to sign him) is no more indicative of the needs of the program than showing interest in, and not signing, Jon Ritchie. Availability and needs are two separate issues. Again, ideally the Pats would sign a guy who is both a better receiver and blocker than Marc Edwards -- but at this stage of the game the player doesn't exist on the market.

As for my opinion of the greater needs, I am obviously ambivalent. They NEED both in my opinion almost equally. The passing game was far from a well-oiled, third-down-generating machine last year. The running game was below average. Protection was a problem as were short yardage running plays. A receiving threat is less of an issue if Faulk in on the field.

Back