Larsen or Fiammetta?

Pneumonic

Reaction score
Should the Pats decide to keep a FB .... which of these two guys gets the nod?

I don't know much about either guy. What are each players strength's and weaknesses?

Neither has run the ball very much at all, nor caught many passes, so on offense both are likely to be pure blockers most of the time.

Larsen played ILB in college and was drafted as such, converting to FB in his 2nd? 3rd? season. Not sure how effective he may be, but he's apparently a very good special teamer, so his versatility seems like it would be a plus for BB.

Not sure about Fiametta's special teams chops, but his run-blocking is apparently top-notch. The Cowboys' ground game suffered notably last season when Fiametta was out with an injury.

The dark horse would be Kettani. UDFA in 2009 and straight into his Navy service commitment, which ended up being extended for an additional year last season. So, he's been away from the game completely for 3 years. However, he was excellent carrying the ball in college and I'd guess his general conditioning is pretty good. He probably ends up on the PS if he still has any football potential at all.

I think BB had something in mind after consulting with Josh but that was before we signed a gazillion WRs who show promise. At this point, to me, every roster spot is a precious asset so if any FB makes this team, he'd better show a lot of ability and fit in TC to take a roster spot over any of 4 WRs under contract who have shown proven ability in the NFL. Not knowing what BB/Josh have in mind for a FB other than situational short yardage or goal line use, I'd have a hard time taking a FB over Branch, Gaffney, a healthy Gonzalez or even Ocho. Then again, BB could be thinking enhanced pass pro vs certain opponents, ie. Buffalo, Giants, San Fran, etc. A lot may hinge on Ridley's pass pro performance in TC.

Back