Looking at the Patriots 2023

With all the backlash of the failed Hopkins pursuit, which I'll admit that in a vacuum was disappointing, many here seem to be acting like the season was riding on him alone. I couldn't disagree more, to me this year and what comes next will be based on the totality of Bill's team building and ultimately if his way still works. We may each think we know which way this is going but we don't. We should all know by now that how good a team is has little to do with how many star players are on the roster, we've seen loaded rosters fail, and rosters with far less star power win when at a glance it would seem unlikely. There is good young talent on this team, and if Bill takes that talent and develops them, some of them may likely be the stars we thought we were looking for. On the flip side, if this fails and we all come to realize Bill's best days are indeed behind him, then we end the season with the 2nd most cap space in the NFL going into what I believe would be an entirely new Era of Patriots football. Either way it's going to be an interesting season, personally I belive this team will surprise alot of people, but I could be wrong, either way, week one can't get here fast enough.

Did you folks see the story about the poll about whether or not fans would want Belichick traded now for multiple first round picks? Mos fans responded that they would want Belichick traded that way. Here's the article: Poll indicates Patriots fans would trade Bill Belichick for multiple first-round picks

Personally, I wouldn't want Belichick traded At All. We can say his team won 6 superbowls because of the previous qb (Brady, obviously). However, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best (or one of the very best) coaches of all time.

Did you folks see the story about the poll about whether or not fans would want Belichick traded now for multiple first round picks? Mos fans responded that they would want Belichick traded that way. Here's the article: Poll indicates Patriots fans would trade Bill Belichick for multiple first-round picks

Personally, I wouldn't want Belichick traded At All. We can say his team won 6 superbowls because of the previous qb (Brady, obviously). However, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best (or one of the very best) coaches of all time.
The Football Gods would most certainly frown on shenanigans of this sort.

arguably the best TE group in the league
They are not true TEs. Henry and Gesicki are extra large WRs and neither are blockers. When BB needs a bigger line he puts in a 6th OL to do the plowing Henry and Gesicki can't do that kind of work..

Travis Kelce is not a TE. Find any existing video of him taking on an Edge rusher or DE.

Gronk was a TE. Kittle is a TE. Hockenson is a TE. They are blockers who can catch passes and force yards after the catch.

They are not true TEs. Henry and Gesicki are extra large WRs and neither are blockers. When BB needs a bigger line he puts in a 6th OL to do the plowing Henry and Gesicki can't do that kind of work..

Travis Kelce is not a TE. Find any existing video of him taking on an Edge rusher or DE.

Gronk was a TE. Kittle is a TE. Hockenson is a TE. They are blockers who can catch passes and force yards after the catch.
They're mismatch weapons in the context of answering whether or not Mac is being put in a position to succeed.

Mushrooms

Premature by a year. Even then it's not Bill the coach that's even remotely in question. On a game basis, I would still take Bill the coach over any other coach in the league. The obvious question is his status as the GM. Granted he has made some obvious mistakes, but is there a scenario where he would give up some significant GM duties and just focus on coaching? Probably not, but I could see the possibility of this if they found someone that he trusted to make those decisions so he could focus on coaching, hell at his age he might even welcome this sort of a situation.

Bill will walk away from the NFL when he's ready and I think his dream would be to finish up coaching Navy if it is in any way possible. He has the key, literally, to Annapolis and his heart will always be toed to that place. I'd love to see him do it, even for a just a year or two.

RUGU3MG6VNG5LFRNEW2RYKD3HM.JPG

If the Patriots shit the bed in 2023, BB may not be the GM in 2024. Groh will take that position and Bill will have input.

This year's schedule is brutal. No easy meat. Depending on how well they come together on Offense, this team could be 11-6 or 6-11. Defense appears to be pretty solid even with a rookie or two starting. All of the question are on the offense.

Can Mac return to his 2021 form?
Can the OL perform together?
Can the WRs take a step up and forward?
Can Stevenson remain healthy?
Can Ty Montgomery become the next James White or Shane Vareen?

If the Patriots shit the bed in 2023, BB may not be the GM in 2024. Groh will take that position and Bill will have input.

This year's schedule is brutal. No easy meat. Depending on how well they come together on Offense, this team could be 11-6 or 6-11. Defense appears to be pretty solid even with a rookie or two starting. All of the question are on the offense.

Ty Montgomery was practicing as a WR in the spring. Exclusively, as I understand it. My guess is that between Montgomery and Gesicki, they are functionally WRs 5/6 and Montgomery is also a break glass RB.

There are plenty of questions on the defense, especially if Guy continues his holdout.
  • Barmore healthy again and ready to resume his ascent, or just a nice player?
  • White able to handle the edge and drop to the interior on pure passing downs?
  • Are some of the Safeties going to be functionally dime LBs?
  • Mills, Jon Jones, or a more classical safety as the primary option when in the deep post?
  • How are they going to use Marcus Jones?

Is it my failing memory, or did everyone [hate/not care about] the uniforms when they were red all the time? And the majority opinion at the time was that Pat Patriot was lame, no?

To be clear, I could not possibly care less about the uniforms. It's just a weird turnaround...

Is it my failing memory, or did everyone [hate/not care about] the uniforms when they were red all the time? And the majority opinion at the time was that Pat Patriot was lame, no?

To be clear, I could not possibly care less about the uniforms. It's just a weird turnaround...

Pat has always been my favorite logo and back then I didn't know anything differen so I had no opinion on the Red.

Like you, I really don't care much about uniforms, and never understood the pearl clutching over a white strip here or there or whatever.

i hate pat patriot and throwbacks. i usually get downvoted when i say that. 😄
i like the alternate silvers.

I think over all you are just having memory issues. I don't recall people calling Pat Patriot lame. I do remember much anger over the switch to the flying Elvis I still don't really like it. I think if the fans had had some input if would have been a better image. I like the red with white pants or solid blue the all red feels to college like.

If Bill loses the GM duties and is offered the opportunity to be just the coach, he'll leave on his own. And he'll get multiple head coach/GM offers from other NFL teams in literally minutes. Now, they may shit the bed this season, which I seriously doubt. But, he's not returning just as coach.

I don't recall anyone thinking Pat Patriot the logo as being lame. The flying batwing (allegedly a tri-cornered hat) that Pat Patriot replaced...now THAT was lame.

Pat Patriot the mascot was/is lame, but all mascots are lame. Worst IMO is the Dallas Cowboy, though the Titans Racoon is a close second. I was into Greek mythology as a kid and I don't remember Rocky Racoon as being one of the Titans.... :coffee:

Back