Major Service Intervals- Worth it or not?

Mr. Happy Sock

I bring absolutely nothing to the table
Reaction score
I have 2009 Hyundai Accent that has 39,000 Miles on it now. It was due for a 30K Major service ($450 to replace a bunch of filters) which I totally missed and was going to bring into my mechanic to get done.

That being said, I am thinking of just blowing off the Service. I'm already 9,000 miles past it, so I'm guessing the 10 year/100,000 Mile warranty on the drivetrain is either void or would be voided if I needed it.

Also, I am very confident that the car will run forever and ever and not need anything. I've had the oil and filter changed religiously every 3K miles, and don't beat on the car too much.

The car isn't worth too much anyways, and the money I'd save NOT having to get dumb filters replaced would be in my pocket, and I'm ok with taking the chance at replacing a motor if it happened. If I don't spend $450 here, and then at least $600 on the next service, Worst case scenario I'd have $1000 to put towards replacing a motor. BEST case scenario I have $1000 in my pocket.

I bought this car to be a throwaway, and I'm very happy with what I've gotten out of it. I'm trying to figure out the cost-benefit analysis here. The car is basically worthless now(MAYBE get $2000 for it in a private sale?)

What would you guys do?

All, I know is, my Cars have always lasted for a long time simply by changing the oil and oil filter every 3k like you`re doing. and making sure your fluids are topped.Sometime you can have a slow leak and not realize it.Happened on one my Transmissions.

The Cars that didn`t last were Cars where the previous owner didnt change the oil every 3k.<One of my Wife`s first cars that her parents didn`t take care of..Had to put a used engine in it after it crapped, but after that, gotta allot out of it.

Not telling you anything you don`t know, you seem like a smart guy, but maybe it will help someone else.

Well.. I am a former automobile tech, and my son until recently was a BMW master tech, and between us, we think you're nuts to skip service. Service does not cost, it pays, and no car runs forever neglected. The cost of routine maintenance is nothing compared to the inconvenience and cost of future problems.
If the dealer prices are the issue, you can find independent shops that do the same service competently for less money.
It's false economy to skip it.

I have 2009 Hyundai Accent that has 39,000 Miles on it now. It was due for a 30K Major service ($450 to replace a bunch of filters) which I totally missed and was going to bring into my mechanic to get done.

That being said, I am thinking of just blowing off the Service. I'm already 9,000 miles past it, so I'm guessing the 10 year/100,000 Mile warranty on the drivetrain is either void or would be voided if I needed it.

Also, I am very confident that the car will run forever and ever and not need anything. I've had the oil and filter changed religiously every 3K miles, and don't beat on the car too much.

The car isn't worth too much anyways, and the money I'd save NOT having to get dumb filters replaced would be in my pocket, and I'm ok with taking the chance at replacing a motor if it happened. If I don't spend $450 here, and then at least $600 on the next service, Worst case scenario I'd have $1000 to put towards replacing a motor. BEST case scenario I have $1000 in my pocket.

I bought this car to be a throwaway, and I'm very happy with what I've gotten out of it. I'm trying to figure out the cost-benefit analysis here. The car is basically worthless now(MAYBE get $2000 for it in a private sale?)

What would you guys do?

Also, kelly blue book states that that car, with that mileage, is worth $9700 in trade.

I always get the service done at the manufacturer suggested intervals. In most cases, we're paying an obscene amount of money to purchase the vehicle. I don't mind spending a few hundred every 10K miles to make sure it's running well.

Also, at these intervals, any recalls or tech alerts (including new software) will be checked. All of my cars have had issues taken care of before symptoms showed up because the service guy checked for outstanding bulletins.

hmm when I had purchased my new cars I was very good about bringing them into the dealer for every service it needed.

I just bought a used Subaru and I will NEVER EVER bring it to that place again for anything. Last time I complained the brakes were still squeeling. Mind you these were supposedly brand new pads and rotars they replaced 3 days after I bought the car and brought it back. Anyway they said they needed some cleaning so I said ok don't do anything my fiance can do it. Well the tech decided to grind the shit out of my pads and rotars. Zack was driving my car and it was making this god awful thudding grinding noise now. So he took off my wheels to see what was going on. Well they had grinded my rotars with this special kind of tool and made huge gashes in the metal.

I bought the car over 30K but I don't think they ever did the service for it. But being engaged to a mechanic is nice because he changes my filters and tops off my liquids as needed. He just bought me the rest of the stuff that would have been needed for the service and will probably do it this weekend even though the car is way over the 30K mark. He is always saying the only way to keep a car going is to keep up with maintenance.

So yes I would get it serviced.

hmm when I had purchased my new cars I was very good about bringing them into the dealer for every service it needed.

I just bought a used Subaru and I will NEVER EVER bring it to that place again for anything. Last time I complained the brakes were still squeeling. Mind you these were supposedly brand new pads and rotars they replaced 3 days after I bought the car and brought it back. Anyway they said they needed some cleaning so I said ok don't do anything my fiance can do it. Well the tech decided to grind the shit out of my pads and rotars. Zack was driving my car and it was making this god awful thudding grinding noise now. So he took off my wheels to see what was going on. Well they had grinded my rotars with this special kind of tool and made huge gashes in the metal.

I bought the car over 30K but I don't think they ever did the service for it. But being engaged to a mechanic is nice because he changes my filters and tops off my liquids as needed. He just bought me the rest of the stuff that would have been needed for the service and will probably do it this weekend even though the car is way over the 30K mark. He is always saying the only way to keep a car going is to keep up with maintenance.

So yes I would get it serviced.

You really need to proof read your posts...Just sayin'

For one of my cars, I haven't brought it back to the original dealer in years. I couldn't stand their service department. I found another VW dealer with a great service department.

When I shop for a car (which is rare luckily), I always look into their service department. That's where most of the time will be spent.

The car runs like a top, and is almost paid off.

It is in its 4th year, but is really just breaking in.

I know I shouldn't even be considering not getting the service done, but I am looking at it from a cost/benefit analysis. Keeping the money seems like a reasonable risk to me; Putting $1000 in my pocket by not getting overpriced services done seems like a rick to take. As I stated before, I genuinely feel this car is going to run forever, and (knock on wood) if the engine blows I have $1000 to put towards the work (IF I want to have it done; As I stated before this is a throwaway car even though it will run forever)

My car payment on this has been a whopping $134 since I bought it brand new. Seems to me if something major ever happened, instead of sinking money into it, just buy another one.

More than anything, like I said I have neglected getting this service done for over 9,000 miles now.......I dont want to put the money into it knowing if something was to happen, Hyundai would tell me to screw because I put off the service intervals for so long

You really need to proof read your posts...Just sayin'

For one of my cars, I haven't brought it back to the original dealer in years. I couldn't stand their service department. I found another VW dealer with a great service department.

When I shop for a car (which is rare luckily), I always look into their service department. That's where most of the time will be spent.

Hey you guys have to get your minds out of the gutter! :harumph:

Bet service was at the Acura dealership when I had my RSX. They were awesome there, did such a great job with my car, always washed and vacuumed it for me and didn't charge me extra for it. Plus if I ever had to bring it in for anything but an oil change I could get a rental which was always another acura better than mine. I got a TSX, RDX, and TL. All were fantastic cars.

The car runs like a top, and is almost paid off.

It is in its 4th year, but is really just breaking in.

I know I shouldn't even be considering not getting the service done, but I am looking at it from a cost/benefit analysis. Keeping the money seems like a reasonable risk to me; Putting $1000 in my pocket by not getting overpriced services done seems like a rick to take. As I stated before, I genuinely feel this car is going to run forever, and (knock on wood) if the engine blows I have $1000 to put towards the work (IF I want to have it done; As I stated before this is a throwaway car even though it will run forever)

My car payment on this has been a whopping $134 since I bought it brand new. Seems to me if something major ever happened, instead of sinking money into it, just buy another one.

More than anything, like I said I have neglected getting this service done for over 9,000 miles now.......I dont want to put the money into it knowing if something was to happen, Hyundai would tell me to screw because I put off the service intervals for so long

I don't think it would necessarily void the warranty at all, especially if you don't have any issues. Most auto vendors would for warranty purposes honor maintenance work done by a cheaper independent shop as well.
I think you are underestimating some of your figures, a blown motor is not a 1000 expenses, that's more like 3000. Cars today will easily go 200k miles with proper maintenance. When you ammortize the price of the car and the maintenance over that many miles, its dirt cheap. Consider that you delay spending 18 grand on another car for a couple of years or more..that's a lot of beer money. My brothers Suburban ( that I maintain for him) has 450k miles on it, and to this day it's maintained by the book. Original engine!

My GM would tell you to do the work. He just saved a Z28 that wouldn't have needed saving if someone had done the required service. And of course we wouldn't have gotten it for a song and a dance either. :wink:

Back