McDaniels Was Terrible!

PatriotsBlue

Reaction score
This is my first post but I have to rant because I've talked about it with several of my friends and coworkers and we generally agree on this.

Josh McDaniels was completely outcoached by the Giants D coordinator Spagnuolo and he was terrible in the Superbowl. Whether it was due to lack of experience or perhaps McDaniels was too stubborn to adjust, he should be held accountable. Belichick gets the blame too since they said he didn't even look up when the offense came off the field as he was only concerned about the defense supposedly. Well, Belichick you can't do that in the biggest game of the year!!!! If the offense is being manhandled, then make adjustments!!

1. We knew the Giants defensive front was tough although we didn't expect them to play like that, McDaniels should have prepared the O-line better to protect Brady. He should have made adjustments in game. The dump passing wasn't working so I would have done more screens or some creative plays.

2. Do you think Charlie Weis would have stuck to the plan and not made any real adjustments like McDaniels did??? Weiss was known for his creativity and sometimes got too fancy, but most of his offensive plans worked!! McDaniels was soooo predictable. He should be demoted and tied to a tree and whipped. Maybe they should find someone with more experience who can actually make good adjustments since the Pats. On the last drive, where they finally made adjustments with short passes to Moss, I mean McDaniels couldn't do that earlier??? Or at least try something different because what they were sticking with stubbornly wasn't working.

As long as McDaniels is still there, the Pats will be like the Red Sox of a few years ago. I won't ever have high expectations for them ever again, which may be a good thing since even now, I never keep my hopes too high for the Sox or Celtics.

End Rant

Two things surprised me:

1. The 3rd TE was inactive. I would think facing a front 7 like that would dictate a few 3 TE sets.

2. Once it was glaringly obvious that the O-Line couldn't handle the rush, JM should have started calling plays that kept Faulk / Maroney / Evans in the backfield to pick up the extra rusher.

Hey that might work. It was worth trying unless your name is Josh McDaniels. If you are McDaniels, then hey, who cares because it's the Patriots. You don't need adjustments. They are the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. You don't need to do anything even though the Pats are notorious for their in game and halftime adjustments.

Ok so now they are the laughingstock of the league instead one of the greatest teams ever.

well..Patriots haven't lost many games over this run, but when they do...it never fails that the reason posted is the horrible play calling and lack of adjustments.

Realistically, it's just idiotic to think that any message board poster knows more than the coaches on the field. Obviously they saw what was happening and tried to counter. Give credit where it is due...the Giants played a hell of a game defensively.

Doesn't every play go through the head coaches headset? I'm sure BB had veto power if he didn't like the play or formation that was called. Also they had some time during halftime to make some corrections. I think the term halftime adjustments is way overused because you can't scrap a game plan that you worked on for countless hours. However I think there are a few corrections that can be made. Blocking schemes are one of those corrections. I think you just have to tip your cap to Spagnuolo for having a great plan & his guys executing it.

Brownfan80 on 02-06-2008 at 04:53 PM said:
Why weren't there more screen passes? That baffled me the entire game.

There was quite a few. The pats offense wasn't getting first downs so you don't get to see too many plays.

There was an offensive offsides about every three plays it seemed. So I think that's why the screens weren't being called as much as they could have. Plus it seemed like there were open receivers, just that there was no time to throw. Anytime Tom would wind up for a throw he seemed to get hit. After a while I imagine he began to hurry his throws. He had no pocket to step into most of the time.

There are countless of errors that lead to this, it's not just the play calling. Although, I think they needed to get more TEs in plays. But they didn't, and that's the past now.

Even then some of the fault falls on the defense for that last drive. But I think that has been beaten to death by now.

What disturbs me most is the thought that he was too stubborn to adjust. That's a big part of the reason we beat the Rams in 36, because Martz kept going with the passing game even though he had one of the best and most versatile RBs in modern NFL history in his backfield.

All I can say is hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I think it does prove my point that he was better off not going after any of the head coaching jobs he was contacted about.

Oh, and :Lwelcome:

are you forgetting that McDaniel's is the coordinator of the highest scoring offense in the league, and about all the pressure brady was facing that game, mcdaniels also had to deal with injuries and such

so lets not take it all out on the O-Cord
They just outplayed us

kingofpatriots on 02-06-2008 at 11:53 PM said:
are you forgetting that McDaniel's is the coordinator of the highest scoring offense in the league, and about all the pressure brady was facing that game, mcdaniels also had to deal with injuries and such

so lets not take it all out on the O-Cord
They just outplayed us

I'm not forgetting it which is why this game baffled me even more. The Patriots are KNOWN for their in game and halftime adjustments. It's why they are considered one of the best coaching staffs in the ENTIRE league and yet in the biggest game of the year, they made miminal adjustments to what the Giants were doing. To only score 14 points as the greatest offense in the history of the game is a joke!

True, the Giants outplayed them. However, I think if Charlie Weis were coaching instead of McDaniels, our chances to win would have gone up quite a bit.

I'm not taking it all out on McDaniels, but he was a huge part of the loss. Belichick also gets blame for not intervening if he really did let McDaniels take total control.

If it weren't for the miracle scramble and miracle reception, we might be praising McDaniel for the last scoring drive. But you are right to some extent. The whole team failed to make the adjustments we are used to seeing from them.

Bottom line is we got outplayed, especially at the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball.

I think the chances of Weis coming here are slim to none but hey, we can only hope. They have to do something about McDaniels. At the very least, he should be severely reprimanded or Belichick should yell at him for hours.

PatriotsBlue on 02-07-2008 at 12:17 PM said:
I think the chances of Weis coming here are slim to none but hey, we can only hope. They have to do something about McDaniels. At the very least, he should be severely reprimanded or Belichick should yell at him for hours.
The answer is simple.

McD and Tomase enter a room. One man leaves.

I've watched the game like 8 times now,rewinding and looking at crucial plays.I've come to a few conclusions.the coaching was flat,the D looked old and the Giants had luck on their side.Manning gets pulled down game over,Tyree doesn't makethe catch with Harrison inside his jersey,it's over.It's all about momentum and passion,those plays made the Giants know.the Giants got the luck of the big plays.Lastly,nobody,NOBODY including the Giants expected Manning to play like he did

I'm not taking anything away from what the Giants and Manning did. They played very well and made some incredible plays. They deserve the win. However, it should be noted that if the playcalling was better or adjustments were actually made, it would probably have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Again, McDaniels is terrible!

BB is still absolutely THE best coach in the NFL.He'll make the necessary adjustments and the Pats will be in the Superbowl again next year

why didnt we go 5 wide? that would of got the pressure off of brady in the middle where he got killed.

PatriotsBlue on 02-08-2008 at 10:38 AM said:
I'm not taking anything away from what the Giants and Manning did. They played very well and made some incredible plays. They deserve the win. However, it should be noted that if the playcalling was better or adjustments were actually made, it would probably have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Again, McDaniels is terrible!

Yeah, what he said! I've been waiting for some troll/assclown to accuse me of saying the Giants got lucky, because I never said that and never will. They wanted it bad and got it.

Back