More National hate for the Pats...

Whaler53

Join the Darkside, bitches
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21257747/

Plenty of rage against Patriots' machine
Run of success makes New England most-hated team in NFL
Sometimes, it seems Patriots coach Bill Belichick was born with a genetic defect that makes him incapable of smiling.

Mike Celizic

Winning is its own reward. It is also its own punishment.

For a prime example of that, look no further than the New England Patriots.

Seven years of sustained excellence has won them three Super Bowls. But in the process, it¡¯s turned them into the NFL¡¯s big, mean football machine, the team everybody roots against.

Nothing illustrates that more than this Sunday's humongous clash with the Dallas Cowboys. For decades, it didn't matter who the Cowboys were playing, they were the team most people wanted to see lose. But now, solely by virtue of playing the Pats, the Cowboys for maybe the first time in their history actually are America's Team.

It's likely that even Giants fans, who would rather see Dallas lose than show up in the parking lot on game day to find Bobby Flay waiting to cater their tailgate party, will be pulling for the guys with the stars on their helmets. That's how unpopular New England has become.

I doubt that the Patriots care. Being hated for being too good is a lot better than being laughed at for being reliably mediocre.

New England has plenty of experience as the NFL's fall-down comedians. For all those years when the Cowboys were loathed for all their America's Team smugness, the team from Foxboro went by the nickname the Patsies. They were loveable losers back then, the Chicago Cubs of the NFL, but without all the winning seasons.

So if they're viewed now as being less cuddly than a wolverine with a migraine, I doubt they care. They probably even enjoy being hated it lets them play the old "The-whole-world-is-against-us" card.

And that includes their quarterback, Tom Brady, which is really remarkable.

Even as the Patriots were becoming the team everybody wanted to see lose, Brady remained above the fray, buoyed by his matinee-idol good looks and his uncanny ability to win games.

Brady is still popular, but he is outdone in this game by a genuine America's Team Idol, Cowboy quarterback Tony Romo, a swashbuckling graduate from clipboard duty who took over from Drew Bledsoe last year and led the team to the playoffs. And even people who like them both are going to go with the exciting kid, Romo, over the veteran star, Brady.

And then there are the coaches. If this game had been played last year, there would have been a hung jury on which one was more deserving of ill will. But the irascible Bill Parcells, who had also once coached the Patriots, hung up his clipboard after the season, to be replaced by Wade Phillips, an easy-going and amiable man with whom even Terrell Owens cannot find fault.

That leaves Patriots' coach Bill Belichick, the man who shows up on the sideline looking as if he'd mugged a bum for his clothes, and one of the few men who could give Dick Cheney lessons in how to be disagreeable with the media.

Let's start with that outfit he wears. The NFL is very particular about the way its players and coaches dress. An untucked shirt will earn a fine. An unauthorized head band can start a league scandal. A coach, in fact, needs special dispensation from the commissioner himself just to wear a suit and tie on the sideline.

But Belichick shows up in his tattered old hoodie with the sleeves torn off, and that's considered coachly attire.

You know he does it on purpose. It's his way of showing that if he took the time to dress decently, it might distract him from his work. How would he find time to spy on other teams' signals if he had to poke around looking for something clean to wear.

click the link to read more of the venom....

fixed the problems with the post, should be easier to read now

Yeah, I'm SURE people are going to pick Romo for ANYTHING over Tom Brady. Cause, you know, Romo is better looking, is a better QB, has more MVP's & Championship rings...:rolleyes:

There's more tools on display lately than a hardware store. :shake:

He's right! I'd rather the Pats be hated for excellence than laughed at for being the Patsies of old. :D

I think that BB should wear a suit for one of the games this season so that the so-called scribes will have to retire the 'looks like a bum' cliche.

:pat: :patriots! :pat: :patriots! Forever!

This is just hilarious...
Brady is still popular, but he is outdone in this game by a genuine America's Team Idol, Cowboy quarterback Tony Romo, a swashbuckling graduate from clipboard duty who took over from Drew Bledsoe last year and led the team to the playoffs. And even people who like them both are going to go with the exciting kid, Romo, over the veteran star, Brady.

We'll see about that outdone part now, won't we?

Even though I am not a Pats fan, I am a fan of Dynasties. I have much respect for any team that has the kind of success that the Pats are having.

Eventually though all good things must come to an end. I'm being sincere when I say this ... enjoy it while it lasts. Because eventually it will come to an end. It may not be this year and it may not be next year but at some point Your ride will end.

Someone will retire and/or someone will get seriously injured. It happens to all of the great teams. Or your coach/GM could decide that he needs a new test for himself and move on.

I find it laughable that they say he appears cold and unsentimental to the fans. The fans of what team? They obviously didn't see him the night of the SD game, hear his postgame presser, or see his players gather around him hugging him.
Say what you want about him, but he does have players he loves. I know it killed him to cut Milloy for example. He said so. And he tried to talk to Lawyer before he left but Lawyer was too pissed to accept it. He sought Lawyer out after a Falcons game to talk to him, and Lawyer was finally ready to hear him. I have a picture of him at the White House after SB 39 and the look on his face as he watches Bruschi and Brady posing with the trophy can only be described as proud papa. What about the footage of him in the lockerroom after Bruschi's first game back after the stroke when he gave Bruschi the game ball and "broke it down" with the guys saying "how do we feel about having Bruschi back?"

For accuracy sake, I work in New York and believe me Giants fans are NOT rooting for the Cowboys.

Carry on with your regular programming!

Back